Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Steering audio controls snapped off

Yesterday the seek button on the steering wheel was taking a couple of presses to work. I pressed it a little too hard and the whole assembly snapped off in pieces.

It is an AU1 Fairmont with charcoal interior.

Looks like I will need a security torx screwdriver to access to mounting point under the horn cover.

Would Ford still stock these as a spare parts or are wreckers are the only option?

Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

ford may still have them, but they'll cost a fortune from there..

wreckers will have em for sure..

just lay off the spinach popeye..lol

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have a few spare sets, IIRC. PM me if you're interested and I'll check if you like.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
brad`
The Monty

anything from an AU u dont have a few of JC? you running a chop shop or something haha

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

You can always just use a dob of silicone to put each button back on. I've done it before, and it worked pretty well. Couldn't tell they were broken, and they still worked as intended.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
anything from an AU u dont have a few of JC? you running a chop shop or something haha
LOL! Nah - I'm just a hoarder; you never know when something may come in handy.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
LOL! Nah - I'm just a hoarder; you never know when something may come in handy.
Indeed you are mate, and we all benefit from the space you've got in your garage which enables the 'storage' of all the useful bits. LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
You can always just use a dob of silicone to put each button back on. I've done it before, and it worked pretty well. Couldn't tell they were broken, and they still worked as intended.
It has broken pieces including the mount so I doubt this would last long. As suggested I need to eat less spinach in future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I have a few spare sets, IIRC. PM me if you're interested and I'll check if you like.
Thanks I have sent you a PM.

Chris
Old 06-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Falcon
It has broken pieces including the mount so I doubt this would last long. As suggested I need to eat less spinach in future

Thanks I have sent you a PM.

Chris
I've done the exact same thing on both an EF and AU, broke both the same way, and both are still here over a year later with my dodgy fix!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #10
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Did i tell you that one! I did the same on my EL and cant tell the difference and is actually better than new as they have some give if fingers get caught on them. Mine stuck for 5+ years with silicone.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will have to give that a try first as the part that KC had was broken also. Thanks

What sort of silicon is it? like the one you use in bathroom sinks?
Old 08-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you been wiping the plastic with things like those meguires dash wipes? If so they suck the moisture out of the plastic which makes it really brittle.

I used to wipe down my dash in the BA all the time with the wipes and when i was doing my stereo system i tried to pull the triangle up to get it out, lifted it about 1cm to get a finger under and it shattered into about 6 or 7 pieces..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I semi regularly use Armor All on a rag over the centre of the steering wheel and the dash.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Armor All is the worst on the interior. All that type of stuff is pretty bad!. I clean mine prbably once a month (did it today), I use a bucket of soapy water, a Sponge (with that harder fabricy stuff on the other side [like for dishes]) and a clean dry rag to dry off the water. It works a treat! ... And then use Vinegar mixed 50% with water in a spray bottle with a Micro Towel to clean your windows. The best ;) .

As for your buttons try Motor Traders. They have almost everthing. And what they don't have JC has
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

I thought the armor All is made especially for keeping the plastics in good condition, and gives UV protection as well. Have I been mislead all these years?
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I prefer Mr Sheen; it's also endorsed by the US Hells Angels for their HD's and who is going to argue with them?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #17
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are they audio controls from an AU2/3 different from an AU1? Are they interchangeable?

I seem to remember the au2/3 had an extra mode button for changing between radio and cd. The au1 only has the seek and volume up and down.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #18
whiskers
gone fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB
I thought the armor All is made especially for keeping the plastics in good condition, and gives UV protection as well. Have I been mislead all these years?
I would dare say that a lot of us "not so young" have as well.

I have been using armor all since the late 70's on my first car it was especially good on the back seat going around corners with a good looking sort beside you (nudge nudge wink wink). and I still use it today

Cheers
Old 06-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #19
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i used super glue to fix my top crusie controll button, worked very well, saves me 25 dollars from a wrecker

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post