Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Question Am i kidding myself?

Hi all,

I have a 2002 AU3 xr8 sedan. I'm now thinkin of maybe selling it to get something a little newer, and possibly cheaper on fuel.

The car is in good condition and i've tried to keep it that way. Its black in color has leather seats, tinted windows, factory sunroof and a tow bar fitted to it. It has the hand built 220kw engine and still has its engine cover. Pictures can be found in my biuld thread: Dougies XR8

The key points i worry about are:
215,000km on it.
Needs a new steering rack (only rwc problem found)
The front bumper has been (modified) by the previous owner
and there is a car key scratch from the centre of the bonnet all down the LH side to the rear tail light. Other than that the paint work only has a few other little marks on it.

I know its the last of the tickford built vehicles and such, but looking at other prices online do ya think i'd be kidding myself if i was to ask $10,000 for it?

Old 20-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Without seeing the vehicle 1st hand, that price sound's reasonable to me, future buyer's are going to try and bargin you down anyway, worth a shot.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
urbancowboy

Thats a fair asking price, I payed 8k for my AU2 xr8 about two months ago it has a 200kw hand built motor, manual, and has a few scratches which polishing helped to hide, it had two weeks rego, no leather, tickford kit, had 240k mileage, and ive since had to replace the steering rack, heater tap valve, door lock actuator lhf, all elec window switches, smart lock remote, & floor mats. Its cost me 11.5k to date, and still needs a new clutch and a few tiny other things. I hope this gives you a clearer picture of the value of yours! But dont take less than 9k!!!!!
Cars i saw for sale when i bought mine had been for sale for months and some are still for sale with the owner clearly asking too much. i.e. 13k for a AU1 xr8 pffft...

Good luck with the sale.
P.S. Repco's racks are the cheapest option, if you do it you may as well fit x2 new tie rod ends at the same time. Check if your hi-pressure line is leaking too, if it is see if you can get away with just replacing the connector $4 part instead of the whole line from $100 up!! more labour less cost.

Last edited by urbancowboy; 20-12-2009 at 09:05 PM.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

you sure its the rack and not 'intermediate shaft' causing play, could save yourself some $$ if its just that simple fix.

and 10K sounds reasonable, but be prepared to take 9K..

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

na mate your prob on the ball with price, ive seen others with more k's asking for more.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've seen the car myself in the flesh, and it's a good vehicle. However a long key scratch and "modified" bumper do some damage to the asking price. I know 200K isn't a lot for the Windsor donk, but it's still high mileage.

I wouldn't pay the 10K if I was buying. But hey, Warracknabeal is a small place and I'm tipping there wouldn't be many AU XR8s around.

All the best with the sale.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post