The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #31
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
I have NEVER used on iPhone.
Says it all.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #32
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmcmillan
Says it all.
Which means 1 of only 2 things Josh...

#1... I haven't had the need to (ie: my technology needs are basic)
#2... I don't want one (ie: i can play games on my PS3 or PC, and don't need to play them when I am not at home)

Like I said before - I am ignorant to the actual 'features' (read:not gimmicks) that an iPhone has, and I am ignorant to what it is capable of achieving...
So as opposed to being a know-it-all - I am simply saying I know nothing about them....

Mearly an opinion that the way that they are advertised is NOT as a functional piece of business equipment capable of syncronising with your laptop/network/wireless, keeping you in the loop of your emails while you are not at your computer, feeding you information on shares, news, and other business needs....

It is advertised as a new-age portable game player and marketed at tech-savy kids with cash to burn (repeat: Advert says 90,000 + apps, how many of that 90,000 are designed SIMPLY for kids to download and pay $3.99 for them???)

My feeling (read:IMHO) is that they are a game playing tool aimed at scraping small amounts of cash from kids/youth, multiple times, to cash in on their inability to function without technology....

If one kid downloads 5-10 apps at $3.99 a pop... $40 thanks very much... if all his mates then want an iPhone and get one and do the same.... x 10, and so it goes on....

But for me - a humble basic phone (which is nearly impossible to get these days) will do for now until I may have the need for a phone to be run by a flux-capacitor and plug into the iPod dock in my DeLorean.... So long as it reads a digital speed to 142km/h (thats 88mph) then I'll be fine!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #33
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes well I actually use a simple Nokia E65 phone myself, has everything I need (wifi, bluetooth, calls etc..). But all I meant was, when you actually use an iphone they are quite a useful, fun thing, and your original post was quite harsh considering that you have never used one, yes there are gimmicks, but there is a lot of useful applications as well, and a lot of free ones too.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #34
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:

Mearly an opinion that the way that they are advertised is NOT as a functional piece of business equipment capable of syncronising with your laptop/network/wireless, keeping you in the loop of your emails while you are not at your computer, feeding you information on shares, news, and other business needs....
Well actually my iphone is my work phone.
I use it for
- Phone calls
- Email
- Calendar
- Tether it as a 3G modem (via cable or bluetooth)

I also travel interstate most weeks so it syncs up shows that I have recorded on my tivo so I can watch something on the plane.

As for gimicky apps, I suppose so. I only have a dozen or so. News reader, EPG for Foxtel .Things like that. It has a shares app built in, weather app too.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #35
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I downloaded pocket dyno and took it to the park when i was doing sprints. Holding it in my hand and running a 80m sprint it claimed I had 162kw and did a 14.27 1/4. (must be that new haircut)
Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #36
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't believe people baulk at $15.99 :
Old 09-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #37
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont know anything about iPhones as i dont have one, but i love my iPod Touch so much that its made me consider getting an iPhone.

I might try this app out just for something different :P
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #38
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I downloaded pocket dyno and took it to the park when i was doing sprints. Holding it in my hand and running a 80m sprint it claimed I had 162kw and did a 14.27 1/4. (must be that new haircut)
Lol - I take it this app is crap !

What gimmicky apps ? >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhYW2E8UCQo
Old 09-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #39
IngoStang

I cant believe how blown out of proportion this thread has got with iPhone haters lol The thread clearly says "iPhone and iPod touch owners" if ya dont like the iPhone or what it stands for then dont read the thread........... its a pretty simple thing to do. Whilst owning an iPhone I certainly am no fan boy. I just find that it does all things better than other phones. Is there things I dont like? Sure there is but you get that in any phone of any brand.

I certainly wouldnt rag on Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson owners because its horses for courses and everyones tastes are different. Now back on topic! Good find and whilst not for me Im sure it will appeal to alot of people
IngoStang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #40
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Geez thanks for all the serious answers to my questions, didn't realise this was akin to a Ford vs Holden debate. To all the Nokia lovers, I was very against the gimmicky iPhone, until I actually used one for more than 5 min, then it was just "I HAVE to have one"
Old 09-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #41
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

I started off with Ericsson's, then Siemens, then Nokia's, then Sony Ericsson's. I now have had my iPhone for more than a year (Winton Round 2008) and I know one thing, I couldn't go back to a "normal" mobile. So damn fiddly. The iPhone is so easy to use, that's the main attraction I think. Once you've used one.....
Old 09-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #42
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What if you have a massively powerful car and gun it off the line and just get a load of wheelspin? it wouldnt be measuring any acceleration and would say you got stuff all power
Old 10-12-2009, 02:23 AM   #43
UKXR8

Well then you should drive better :-)

Tried it a boeing 737, that got some interesting results!

2003 AU3 XR8 MANUAL

1998 EL XR6
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 AM   #44
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

Sorry i couldn't resist posting this. (language warning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3dKWB8mKt0

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 AM   #45
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrules
Sorry i couldn't resist posting this. (language warning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3dKWB8mKt0
I normally think he's an unfunny douche but that was great.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #46
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

i downloaded and installed this app yesterday
had ome weird readings at frist..then calibraated the software and tried again...worked much better....hard to say how acurate it is...to be honest will be difficult to test as you would need a nice strech of road with no obstacles to get a acurate reading....
My reading was going great ..up till i had to break for a car in front.....
reading was 101 Kw and 20.01 Sec quarters........

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #47
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

There was also an I-phone app somewhere where it could link to a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs in to the OBD II port. Gives you real time air fuel, etc, etc. Interesting to see how it works in the real world.

I’ve got the Track Day app which can measure braking G, lateral G, Acceleration G as well as interpolate Distance, Power & Speed.

I wish that they had something like RaceChrono which works brilliantly as a lap timer with Nokias and a GPS receiver.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #48
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I wish my iPhone 3gs sent and recieved calls, and I wish my wifes did too. Apart from all the other stuff it doesn't do.

From the feedback most have said who have the app, it seems it's plain ol not worth it.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #49
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
There was also an I-phone app somewhere where it could link to a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs in to the OBD II port. Gives you real time air fuel, etc, etc. Interesting to see how it works in the real world.
You might be talking about Devtoaster Rev
Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #50
PDIDDY
Victory is Mine

Quote:
Gimmick is the main word that should be associated with an iPhone...

If you want to know how much power your car has, maybe visit a dynamometer and strap it in!!! hahahaha...

I'll just stick to my crappy N73 that has not missed a beat in 4 years....
I think I would rather the $15.99, than the $500 for a dyno run. Especially if you know approx how much power your car has in the first place. It may be just a **** factor, but some parts of the app will be fairly close.

I never thought I would get an iPhone either, but it made sense when I was the only one in the family without an iPod, and my phone contract coming up for renewal. Only wished I got the bigger memory. Doesn't matter, the Mrs contract is due in Feb, so I have 2 months to con her into getting the new 32gb iPhone S, and swapping my phone for it. LOL :
Old 10-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #51
Lynch'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
You might be talking about Devtoaster Rev
I was looking at this yesterday. Would be really interested to know whether it works with the Falcons. $49 for the app + $150 odd for the wifi obd transmitter is a little much to spend without knowing if it works.

Ceramic coated 4490's, Magnaflow high flow cat, Twin 2.5" Mercury exhaust, BPR CAI , Territory tessa pipes. :evil3:

20% Underdrives waiting to be fitted

My Build Thread
Lynch'd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #52
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch'd
I was looking at this yesterday. Would be really interested to know whether it works with the Falcons. $49 for the app + $150 odd for the wifi obd transmitter is a little much to spend without knowing if it works.
Try it out and report back ;)
Old 10-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #53
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Bahh 16 bucks aint going to kill the bank!!!

Downloaded the app but haven't been able to test it properly... Maybe next time i race at heathcote i'll get it hooked up properly and compare results with my timeslips...

Looking forward to using the skidpan function at Summernats in 4 weeks!!! :evil3:
Old 10-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #54
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I think the biggest thing with the Dynolicious app (I tried it a while back and seems to be a little more featured than the one they're offering now) is that it has to be on a perfectly flat and level surface for the accelerometers to work correctly. None exist in my car, I'd have to rig something up and that's where I quickly lost interest.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #55
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I think the biggest thing with the Dynolicious app (I tried it a while back and seems to be a little more featured than the one they're offering now) is that it has to be on a perfectly flat and level surface for the accelerometers to work correctly. None exist in my car, I'd have to rig something up and that's where I quickly lost interest.

Exactly!... And one of those ebay cradles wont do the trick either.... Too many variables involved, but it does a good job of giving you a rough indication of your car's perf etc. but i wouldn't take it as gospel
Old 10-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #56
Lynch'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Try it out and report back ;)
Just give me your credit card details and i'd be glad too

Ceramic coated 4490's, Magnaflow high flow cat, Twin 2.5" Mercury exhaust, BPR CAI , Territory tessa pipes. :evil3:

20% Underdrives waiting to be fitted

My Build Thread
Lynch'd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #57
DJMaRV
HardTrance an HardStyle

yea i wouldnt take it as gospel, but apparently different dyno machines can put out different figures, besides its the timeslip that counts...

time wise it seems to look ok...i think these blokes tested it an it was within a 100th of a second...an the power level was only 4.somthin HP off the actual dyno print out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DFbJQbeSY

id like to see one work on a touch, cant really justify buyin the iPhone, but id def get a iPod Touch just for this app. an Touch DJ(mixin app.) alone.
HDi Intercooled
TurboSmart
Earls Filter
PBR Brakes
Warlbro
DJMaRV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 02:10 AM   #58
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mate gets his dads iphone and swings it around wildly to get like 1000hp atw but we are going to actually test it when my car gets back on the road
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post