Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Anyone got the latest Wheels mag?

I was leaving the supermarket a little while ago and spotted the latest Wheels mag on the rack claiming the next incarnation of FPV's will roll out thus; XR8 @ 307kw, blown GT @ 350kw and blown GT-HO @ 375kw. I didn't pick up the mag but not only is the cover suggesting a GT-HO but claiming the XR8 as an FPV not a Ford factory product. Has anyone bought the rag and read the story? I'm guessing it's just more speculation.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read somewhere that the XR8 was being dropped all together, and the only V8s would be FPVs?
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah i have it at home, it's not how I read it.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw it, flicked through in the store and couldn't find a story. Wasn't gonna buy it though, it's gonna be all speculation.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yeah i have it at home, it's not how I read it.
Hey, I was just glancing at the cover, I could have got the XR8 thing wrong but I thought it was putting the XR8 under the FPV banner with the GT and HO.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I hate articles like these, pure speculation presented as fact most of the time, misleading people who don't know much about cars. I had to sit through someone at work telling me that City Ford has the new FPV GTHO Phase 5 in stock and that he's buying one etc etc because it's on the cover of wheels. I guess it sells magazines though...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

The Wheels article says that some sources claim the V8 (and therefore XR8 model) will be dropped from Ford's lineup and only FPV will have V8 models. But Ford deny this, saying the Coyote engine will have a place in their future lineup.

The Motor magazine isn't saying anything about the removal of the V8 engine or XR8 model from Ford.

It is interesting to note how Wheels and Motor both made a guess at the design.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
I read somewhere that the XR8 was being dropped all together, and the only V8s would be FPVs?
Well, that's only because they are stopping production of the Falcon altogether, so Stinky Spinks tells me. :

Lukeyson
Old 02-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR8 will have the same motor as the GT's, just different power levels. You wouldn't just charge the FPV and not the XR8. It doesn't make good business sense, just buying a s/c for the GT and spending all that development money. You might as well use it for the XR8 and spread the development costs across the board, and just detune it.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
irlewy86
Meep Meep

deleted

Last edited by irlewy86; 02-02-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: never mind
irlewy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I hate articles like these, pure speculation presented as fact most of the time, misleading people who don't know much about cars. I had to sit through someone at work telling me that City Ford has the new FPV GTHO Phase 5 in stock and that he's buying one etc etc because it's on the cover of wheels. I guess it sells magazines though...
Is he a dentist?
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All done so people will buy the mag, they have been doing it for years, if anyone remembers when Wheels anounced that Ford was going to release the upcoming XA with a big block engine opitional. Never happened, pure speculation.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #13
G6E Turbo 2

I try very hard not to read Holden, Sorry Wheels magazine anymore, the word bias keeps comming to mind
I'm still not over COTY last year
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Has Wheels or Motor ever been right?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Anyone got that photo for "Not this $h!t again" ? :
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #16
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
Is he a dentist?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Has Wheels or Motor ever been right?
Yes occasionally they are right but interestingly when they have been wrong about the designated power of falcons they are almost always low.

e.g.
BA T6 230kw
BA XR8 250kw
FG F6 300kw

Only 4 months to go.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 12:52 AM   #18
Phyber
BF= Backend's Farked

^^^ Excellent.

Edit: by which I mean I'd love to see some turbo 6 stomping V8's in the Ford or FPV lineup...put me in my place! Would love one for a weekender and have the turbo for my daily as it is now.

Just gotta come up with a spare 80k...

-------------------------------------------
BFII XR6T - ZF box
Racewars 2017 result - 800m @ 229km/h - 1000m @ 241km/h
PB: 317rwkw - 11.94 @ 120mph - 2.093 60'
PB: Stock/208rwkw - 13.594 @ 105mph - 2.297 60'
-------------------------------------------
Phyber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Wheels Ford articles = I heard a rumor about what other mags were saying, so it must be true....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think some of these journo`s scan the forums for a bit of goss, never let the truth get in the way of a good story, its better than stock market rumours.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #21
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E Turbo 2
I try very hard not to read Holden, Sorry Wheels magazine anymore, the word bias keeps comming to mind
I'm still not over COTY last year
Ohhhh boo hoo. Seriously build a bridge and get over it. Not everyone is like you (and thank god for that) and looks at a vehicle the same way or has a strong allegiance to one brand. I find the COTY fair and impartial.

As for speculation, it's just that, simply put.
There is no harm in any publication (web based or print) guessing like everyone else here as to what may or may not arrive in the near future.
At least it gets people talking about it.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #22
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Ohhhh boo hoo. Seriously build a bridge and get over it. Not everyone is like you (and thank god for that) and looks at a vehicle the same way or has a strong allegiance to one brand. I find the COTY fair and impartial.
I'd agree on the 'get over it bit'. I don't buy the mag any more (and my interest was slowly waining anyway...) so not really interested in what they have to say. Still, COTY may very well be one of the most fair and impartial awards going (it is based on a critera after all) but doesn't mean it finds the 'right' COTY. And i'm not just talking about the models that later prove to be dogs niether.

Wheels used the excuse that the VE won because its competition was 'weak'....yeah but that doesn't explain some of its recent choices/rejections.

How does the Jag XF (winner of numerous COTY awards in europe) not even get into the finals and the FG (demonstrably better than the VE) fail to make the finals neither. And of course this year the prius was a finalist FFS...in a supposed enthusiast magazine.

Like alot of Ford fans i found it puzzling the FG went so bad...then i read the mag. No wonder the Accord euro won it....it was a battle of the best accountants car..... This year was further proof.

I think as cars become more uniform (platform sharing, gov regulation, market rationalisation etc.) it is becoming harder for journos to make the 'tough' call on what is really fun to drive. COTY is more than just that i know but most the awards these days are going to the mob with the quitest ride and the lowest CO2 emissions or the most cup holders..... Relevant stuff to the average punter maybe but hardly worthy of COTY....after all its CAR of the year, and cars are first and foremost FOR DRIVING....not holding your beverages and playing nice tunes..... :

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post