Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #121
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Hmmm FPV brought back the GT, and then the GS, and now the Moffat special?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #122
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
Awesome list - it really is; however, who under the age of 30 really knows him?

Surely there would be 'newer' names out there they could have used?
Seto?
Bowe?
Or even DJ?

Given the 'link' between FPV & FPR; wouldn't someone who raced in the 'modern' V8 Supercar era be better suited?
I suspect the target market for a blown FPV would be 30+

Moffat and HO go together like wine and cheese. Personally, I feel that Moffat in the camp adds a lot of credibility to the project and I'm very interested in what comes out the other end.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #123
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
If you have to ask...you don't know ford!!
Thats right, any true blue fan knows about Moff!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #124
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I know the answer, as you do and 98% of the members on this forum.

My father-in-law doesn't, nor my mother-in-law (both drive Falcons), sister & brother-in-law, not a clue (just bought an FG XR). Now, they don't follow much sport either way and lived most of thier lives in NSW (following NRL) - however, they know who C Judd is, Franklin too.

My point is simply, IF this is a ploy to get more sales from joe public, FPV have missed the mark by a massive amount.
If this is about getting the die-hards to all upgrade their XRs & GTs, then they are in with a chance.

As for AM's input, I doubt there will be any, as already pointed out, the key word in this all is Ambassador.
Is Joe Public about to slap down 70 large for a blown V8?!

This isn't about attracting Joe Public to rock up to their nearest FPV dealer, it's about inspiring enthusiasts to do so. Moffat and Brock, there's no two bigger names that inspire Ford vs Holden in my opinion.

For me personally, if Bowe, Johnson or Seton were to lend their support behind the new GT I'd think, meh. Digging Moffat out of the cotton balls gets my blood pumping. Moffat is the epitome of Ford V8. IMO, he is the PERFECT choice. I don't care that under 30's may never heard of him. There's a thing called google. If they care, they'll look him up. They'll see who he is, who he was and why there's no better choice to back up FPV.

FPV, my hats off to you.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #125
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
If you are too young to understand then listen to your elders - HE IS A LEGEND!
Quoted for truth.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #126
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgxr8
... Moffat does not suffer fools lightly but if you are knowledgable in Ford history he is only to happy to chat.
And that is why I don't think he's the best choice. He's just not the best.

Any ambassador for FPV, needs to be 100% approachable and willing to impart his knowledge to anyone, not just the converted. This williness to share to anyone, is where JB has it all over AM. They should have used him more prominently.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #127
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau
yes i am also getting sick of the gtho thread in a way cause the new age ford probably aint got the nuts to make one so i guess its another nail in the falcon coffin.

Ford could do it but if they did we would have a 50 page thread of whinging that its not beating the Veyron and that its ruined the HO name.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #128
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I have only meet AM once at the GT nat's in Ballarat, I must say I don't know if he was having a bad day or not but I asked him if he could sign my Ford racing Australia shirt that I was wearing, on the upper right shoulder blade, he then said to me, "what's wrong with the front",
I was dazzelled and said "because I wanted his signature on the shoulder blade", as there was allready Ford branding on the front and the big Blue oval on the rear, he was a little upset and allmost reluctant to sign.
Not a very good 1st impression, for a fan, oh well maybe he was having a bad day. that's what I put it down to anyway, he's still a legend.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #129
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

This isn't about attracting Joe Public to rock up to their nearest FPV dealer, it's about inspiring enthusiasts to do so. Moffat and Brock, there's no two bigger names that inspire Ford vs Holden in my opinion.

For me personally, if Bowe, Johnson or Seton were to lend their support behind the new GT I'd think, meh. Digging Moffat out of the cotton balls gets my blood pumping. Moffat is the epitome of Ford V8. IMO, he is the PERFECT choice. I don't care that under 30's may never heard of him. There's a thing called google. If they care, they'll look him up. They'll see who he is, who he was and why there's no better choice to back up FPV.

FPV, my hats off to you.
I am of the exact same opinion.... plus....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
1971 + 40 = 2011
Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #130
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I can, and his name is John Bowe.

Seems a very strange direction they've gone, JB has done developement work on every new FPV model so far, and Tickford prior to that.

Alan Moffat doesn;t come across as laid back, or as approachable as JB.

I have met both guys, and I know which one I'd prefer to be plugging my product.

No offence attended to Alan Moffat!
I would still compare their work look at the GTHO and look at the ELGT, First is a legend hands down and the EL although a GREAT car it still wasn't any Where near what it should have been
If Moffat has anything to do with development i have faith that it'll be a weapon, hopefully enough to wipe the floor with those snooty lil jap cars at the bathurst 12 hour
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 AM   #131
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
1971 + 40 = 2011

Silly me.....i was counting 1971 as 1 Bathurst race + another 39 Bathurst races to = 2010 and 40 races in total......this got me thinking could we see the return of the GTHO this year?

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #132
The Snout

Quote:
I don't care that under 30's may never heard of him. There's a thing called google. If they care, they'll look him up. They'll see who he is, who he was and why there's no better choice to back up FPV.

FPV, my hats off to you.
Plus the under 30s aren't the one's slapping down 70 large either for a FPV.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #133
sbcb
BA Xr8

http://www.allanmoffat.com.au/again/cars_ebfalcon.htm
Always loved the look of the Cenovis EB V8.
I'm sure John Bowe will continue to be utilised by Ford/FPV but having Allan offically on board is fantastic. He is a Ford legend and its great to see him in his distinguished years back in the brands fold. He flew the Ford flag for fans and promoted the brand simply by winning with it - even without offical support. Good to see they want to acknowledge and use this legend and great marketing tool.
1) DJR back under Ford sponsorship (has it been offically announced yet?)
2)Allan's history being utilised for market promotion
3)The coyote on the way
4) Frosty and Campbell Little working together
5)888 guaranteed a DNF at Bathurst after signing skaife
This is going to be an exciting year.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #134
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
I suspect the target market for a blown FPV would be 30+

Moffat and HO go together like wine and cheese. Personally, I feel that Moffat in the camp adds a lot of credibility to the project and I'm very interested in what comes out the other end.
Credibility? How? What input has AM had in the FGII? Why are people talking about a car that still may not be remade? (the HO)
My understanding is that the car has already been signed off on.
Even if the package hasn't been completely finished, what input could AM really provide now? Surely his age and lack of drive 'time' would make it difficult to use any feedback he provided.
Where as, someone like JB, who, while not in the 'main game' is still out of the track racing, doing advanced driver course etc.

Quote:

FPV, my hats off to you.
Again, this is what I am trying to get across - AM has done how much 'racing' in the last 5/10/15 years?
Sure, in the 60/70's when he was racing, there would have been on one better to 'test' and advise Ford/Tickford/FPV/SVO (whatever name you wish to use) - as he was at the top of the game.

The name Moffat stirs up just as many memories in me as it does in everyone else. There is no question that he was one of the greastest drivers we will ever see. (IMO)
People seem to mixing things up - the press release said he will be the Ambassador; the mouth piece if you will. It did not say that he was building a GTHO from the ground up for FPV.
Some are looking back at what was done in the XW/XY days; assuming, that will be the case again... I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man
I would still compare their work look at the GTHO and look at the ELGT, First is a legend hands down and the EL although a GREAT car it still wasn't any Where near what it should have been
If Moffat has anything to do with development i have faith that it'll be a weapon, hopefully enough to wipe the floor with those snooty lil jap cars at the bathurst 12 hour
I disagree completely. What input did Moffat have with the XY?
My understanding was that the shell was already decided on and it was the engine and chassis that were given to Alan to 'thrash out'. Therefore it is unfair to try and compare the two in terms of look.
I never got a chance to drive the EB/ED Moffat special but did manage some time behind the wheel of the EL GT. Those two cars would be a better comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
Plus the under 30s aren't the one's slapping down 70 large either for a FPV.
They aren't? - Funny, I bought mine at 29 - new, sight unseen.
I can think of a couple of others that have been sold to poeple under the age of 30.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......

Last edited by DJL351; 03-02-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added another quote
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #135
sgxr8
Starter Motor

Grunter i said he ( Moffat ) does not suffer fools gladly ( plenty out there and this forum has its share ) but that's in his own time . It's different when you are getting paid to do the job so let's see what happens before all you doubting Thomas' keep rubbishing him. JB is in the Ford fold too and i for one have plenty of time for both of them.
Cheers
GT450
sgxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #136
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Credibility? How? What input has AM had in the FGII? Why are people talking about a car that still may not be remade? (the HO)
My understanding is that the car has already been signed off on.
Even if the package hasn't been completely finished, what input could AM really provide now? Surely his age and lack of drive 'time' would make it difficult to use any feedback he provided.
Where as, someone like JB, who, while not in the 'main game' is still out of the track racing, doing advanced driver course etc.

Again, this is what I am trying to get across - AM has done how much 'racing' in the last 5/10/15 years?
Sure, in the 60/70's when he was racing, there would have been on one better to 'test' and advise Ford/Tickford/FPV/SVO (whatever name you wish to use) - as he was at the top of the game.

The name Moffat stirs up just as many memories in me as it does in everyone else. There is no question that he was one of the greastest drivers we will ever see. (IMO)
People seem to mixing things up - the press release said he will be the Ambassador; the mouth piece if you will. It did not say that he was building a GTHO from the ground up for FPV.
Some are looking back at what was done in the XW/XY days; assuming, that will be the case again... I think not.

I disagree completely. What input did Moffat have with the XY?
My understanding was that the shell was already decided on and it was the engine and chassis that were given to Alan to 'thrash out'. Therefore it is unfair to try and compare the two in terms of look.
I never got a chance to drive the EB/ED Moffat special but did manage some time behind the wheel of the EL GT. Those two cars would be a better comparison.

FFS why does he even need to have input into the FG? he's employed as an Ambassador.. not an engineer....

Old 03-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #137
The Snout

Quote:
They aren't? - Funny, I bought mine at 29 - new, sight unseen.
I can think of a couple of others that have been sold to poeple under the age of 30.
That's great, junior. But the majority aren't.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #138
Chopped
as in chopped

I've found that people who are PAID to say stuff generally are not worth listening too (unless you like pee in your pockets).

A brilliant product should sell itself.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #139
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Couldn't do any worse than the Brisbane ambassador..

"What, I'm the amabassador for Brisbane. I've never heard of the place, I don't even know why they bothered giving me the job" Sir Bob Geldof speaking about his prestigious appointment