Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-10-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
eiluj
Starter Motor

Default Fuel Smell

I have a ford festiva 98 1.3l litre engine.

When i leave clothes on the back seat they get a fuel smell on them.

The fuel line, vapour hoses, fuel tank seal and the fuel tank have been checked for faults but are clear.

Yet the problem is still happening. Sometimes when i turn on the air con on you can smell a slight fuel smell.

What could be causing this as the two mechanics that have looked at this problem do not know?

eiluj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Seems like a fuel leak to me, son.
Old 19-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
eiluj
Starter Motor

the fuel lines and the fuel tank were checked for leaks by a mechanic no leaks were found. And i rarely can smell fuel it just get on my clothes when i leave them in the car. And sometimes when i open the boot there is a fuel smell.

Usually the only time i can smell fuel is if i turn on the air con. And it's rarely that the smell occurs even with the air con on. Are there fuel lines that run up to the air con?
Old 20-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Dustproof

Default Fuel Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiluj
the fuel lines and the fuel tank were checked for leaks by a mechanic no leaks were found. And i rarely can smell fuel it just get on my clothes when i leave them in the car. And sometimes when i open the boot there is a fuel smell.

Usually the only time i can smell fuel is if i turn on the air con. And it's rarely that the smell occurs even with the air con on. Are there fuel lines that run up to the air con?
It is probably the fuel return under the bonnet, more than likely a hose has a hole in it. If the smell is coming through the Aircond then it has to be in the front end. It is vapour and not raw fuel. Another thing to check is your fuel cap, if you drive and fuel slops around can go down the overflow and smell.
Old 20-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Does this even give you a major headahce? :evil3:
Old 21-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

It may be the canister or 'purge' lines on the filler neck. Don't quote me but I think one of them actually enters the vehicle down the back at the filler neck. I am not sure about 98 model but I have experienced it before.
If there are no evident fuel leaks i would direct attention to the canister and purge system. Is a vacuum line off somewhere? is the canister cracked??? Has a purge line cracked or perished at the tank or filler neck.
And lastly make sure your fuel cap is OK. Pressure test it (stick the threaded end in your mouth and blow as hard as you can. Does it hold all the pressure???) Another way to check if its at the fuel cap end is to smell around the fuel door before opening it. A poor sealing fuel cap will have a obvious smell.

I would be willing to bet it has something to do with the vapour side of things (purge) rather then a direct fuel leak.

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
eiluj
Starter Motor

thanks all i will check into these ideas. i really appreciate the help
Old 21-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
eiluj
Starter Motor

"Does this even give you a major headahce?" (JClarke)

I find it annoying that the mechanics can't work out why it's happening.
Old 21-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
eiluj
Starter Motor

"And lastly make sure your fuel cap is OK. Pressure test it (stick the threaded end in your mouth and blow as hard as you can. Does it hold all the pressure???) Another way to check if its at the fuel cap end is to smell around the fuel door before opening it. A poor sealing fuel cap will have a obvious smell."

Would that also leach into the inside of the car? There is a slight fuel smell form the petrol cap region. I'll clean it off for any spillage and recheck it.

Thanks
Old 22-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
eiluj
Starter Motor

thanks, i've had two mechanics check the car and neither of them can find the source of the smell.

My fuel cap was faulty so it's been replaced but the smell is still there. It's not strong but my clothes really smell of fuel whenever i have the air con on.

I will go back to the last mechanic he checked everything that the good folks here suggested every thing was fine.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 22-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Under what circumstances does this happen? Don't spose this happens after filling your tank to the top, then parking it facing up a steep incline on a hot day with a slight lean to the passenger side?

I know that sounds a bit detailed, but when I had the Festy, I got a 'leak' somewhere around the tank filler in the exact above mentioned circumstances.

The leak was so strong that it would leak down the inside of the body, prob from the cap / overflow return / whatever and then smell up the rear carpet, as well as trickle from where the rear left mud flap would be onto the road.

I pulled apart the interior to find the leak and found nothing (parked it on a flat surface, and manually filled the tank right to the brim).

The the next week, would fill her up, drive her home, park in the same spot on the incline and it leaked again after several hours.

Fixed the problem by just parking it flat....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
eiluj
Starter Motor

there is no visible leak, there are no leaks from any of the lines or cannister that the mechanic has checked. He says it's a vapour not raw fuel smell that is happening when the air con is running.

He's checked everything that all the people here have suggested and found no problem.

The happens whether the tank is full or almost empty.

I will check your suggestion as my driveway is not completely flat
Thanks
Old 19-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
scarytree
Starter Motor

All Ford's with an EEC ( Electronic Engine Control ) have an Canister Purge Solenoid. It is opened when the engine is runing, this stops vapour pressure building in canister and fuel tank. It becomes sticky when the o-ring on the plunger inside perishes. Also varnish from the petrol may stop the plunger moving. It is not easy but the solenoid can be opened at one end, I chose the connector end so as not to damage the plastic valve. Remove the o-ring from the plunger and leave off, clean the internal parts with carby cleaner. Re-assemble with care, I used a pin punch to peen over the open end of the canister. I have not had a petrol smell in the car in the past 200,000km
scarytree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post