Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Strange noise from engine bay

hey all,

well I've got a rather high pitched noise, more like a whine coming from the engine bay (not the diff :P) that seems to rise and fall with engine rpm, however as the car warms up it seems to go away (or become less noticable).

I think it may be the "idle tentioner pully" bearing (at a guess) but thats only what i've been told by a friend who looked at it. Thoughts? I'm thinking mechanic might be the next stop after here if it cant figure it out :(

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

grab a 3/8 drive ratchet and fit it in the square drive in the lower section of the tensioner, turn the ratchet clockwise to take the tension off the belt, slip it to one side(off the tensioner) spin the tensioner pulleys by hand and u will soon know

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

cheers, shall do that when I get off work
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 28-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67xr
grab a 3/8 drive ratchet and fit it in the square drive in the lower section of the tensioner, turn the ratchet clockwise to take the tension off the belt, slip it to one side(off the tensioner) spin the tensioner pulleys by hand and u will soon know

Don't forget the remove snorkel (2 phillips screws) and Fans (1 plug and 2 10mm bolts, for much easier access.....
the noisy bearing will be either the top centre idler or the tensioner idler.... Good luck
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

my powersteering whines when its cold. as it warms up it goes away. food for thought?
Old 28-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i have all sorts of terrible whirring and squeaking noises coming from my car
4 years later its still all good
Old 28-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it a 6 or an 8?

As stated already, pop the belt off, start the car and see if the noise disappears. Don't run it like that for to long especially if the engine is at operating temp already (no water pump drive, hence no coolant circulation).
It shouldn't take you long to work out if the noise is still present or not.

If it's a V8 Windsor and the noise is still present, I'd start looking at the cam syncroniser as they dry out, squeal and fail.

Let us know how you go. People are here to assist if you want it.
Cheers.
JC
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Cheers for all the input chap

Didn't get a chance this afternoon as i've got a cold (thanks to my lovely girlfriend :P) and wasn't feeling to crash hot, so tomorrow i'll hopefully sort the problem. Didn't even think of removing the snorkel and fans so that should make life a little simpler.

Shes a 6cyl VCT motor, I'd rather the v8 however QLD transport (read: supreme overlords, inhibitors of fun) regard my age as a hazard. Only have to wait till November so not long now
Old 04-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How did you go with this mate?
Did you manage to sort it out?
Keen to know what you found.

Cheers.
JC
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #10
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Hey all,

My employer decided to send me to work in the city for a month so between that and uni assignments (at about the 25 hour mark worth of research for the one im completing presently) I just haven't had the time. The upshot is that any affection towards the holden ve ute I had is now pretty much destroyed. For a 2 year old vehicle its a horrid thing to drive, I would have never thought it but i'd rather my 12 year old car than a near new "holden" ute.

I stuck my head into the engine bay with the car on and it appears to be the pulley at the top of the motor that's making the racket. Didn't try and attempt it due to time constraints and the fact the black power steering shield was hiding the top half of it.

Driven it for the past week without any real dramas. I've rectified the problem in the mean time by the use of another round device affectionately known as the "volume control" on my stereo :P

As soon as I get the time, hopefully this coming week after assignments are all done and dusted I'll let you know how it went
Old 08-06-2010, 12:46 AM   #11
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Right, well a little update before I go ripping anything apart, we seem to have diagnosed the issue as a flogged out bearing from that look very similar to the thingo in the link below: http://www.allworldautomotive.com/im...1310_14399.jpg

It would appear to be the tensioner assembly, which I am hoping will be simple to replace however I've never attempted anything like it before. In the year and a half I've had it Im surprised more things haven't gone wrong considering the flogging it has been given.

So there you have it! Any info on changing the bugger would be great!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah i had mine changed a few years back
they're not too expensive, i think parts and labour for a new one plus a new drive belt was under two hundred
Old 08-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Might see if I can buy a new one and give fitting it a go on the weekend, I noticed a burning smell when I had to drive into town yesterday. Hoping it wasn't the belt :(
Old 08-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Well this afternoon a mechanic confirmed it, the idle tensioner pully has packed up on me. It's drivable, but its heating the belt up and making things smell terrible, kind of like a burnt packet of migoring noodles (uni students will get the reference here).

Getting it replaced saturday thankfully, shall take photos and such (as he is a friend of the family) and let you know how it all goes, might even get a how-to going.
Old 13-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Finally got it all sorted!

Many thanks for everyones input, we replaced the two pullies in the idle pulley tensioner and found a third pulley that is on its way out. Runs a heck of a lot quieter than before! Though I can no longer pretend that its really "super charger whine" :(

While we had it all apart, we also found the tappet cover and VCT gaskets were leaking, that plastic shield around the front of the motor hides quite a lot!

Cheers again, i'll throw up a guide soon to help anyone else like me (I work in I.T) who knows a little about cars, but not a lot :P