Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-07-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
Team Evolution
Starter Motor

Default Power steering

Ok whats the go every other vehicle I or the wife have ever owned no matter what brand have had a power steering resivior that you could see easy to check levels and fill.

Now with the wifes zetec 2.0 liter I had to look in the hand book to even find the bloody thing.

So 1 how do you check the level then how do you fill it do you remove the front drivers head light or remove the inner guard on the drivers side .

Which dick of an engineer came up with this design

Duncan

Team Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

What model car 2 litre Zetec are you talking about? I am assuming you're talking LR Focus? (Later Focus' have a Duratec engine)

In the LR Focus, the power steering reservoir is clearly visible at the back left hand corner (facing engine bay) of the engine

Have you misread the manual, or is it a different car? (OK, mine looks a bit different to standard, but the layout and position of the power steering reservoir is the same)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Joys of earlier models!!! In mine( LT) the resevior and pump sit under the drivers side headlight which is fairly easy to remove. You just do not want a little bingle in the drivers side front or it all gets smahed to little expensive bits....
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Team Evolution
Starter Motor

Believe its an 06 or 07 shes not home to ask think it is a duratec motor no hand book did show me were it is .Got to ask your self who in their right mind would put it were it is no way to check levels or fill it with out a bit of work .No other manufacturer that I have ever seen is this stupid.

So its out with the head light just to check the level heaven forbbid if it ever gets a small weep and needs topping up every few weeks.
Old 14-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
ptwhite2003

Default Calm down.

You seem slightly bitter over this little problem.
ptwhite2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you all seem to miss the good news about focus electric power steering fluid holder placement. Ford does not expect the fluid to leak in LT onward models, hence no need to check its level, unlike other makers where the risk is so high they paint the lid yellow so you can find it easily in the engine bay.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

OK. It's a Duratec engine not a 2 litre Zetec as suggested in the first post. that makes sense now
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
Team Evolution
Starter Motor

The point is the power steering light has been comming on infrequently of late I just want to check the fluid level something easily done in any other vehicle .

Im not a brand spercific person if you think Im a ford hater just like my vehicles made with the kiss theroy pardon for the spelliing.

Power steering along with brake fluid coolant level and oil level should be something easily checked every time you fill the vehicle with petrol .Just cant believe some tool of an engineer designed the car which is great this way.

So once again which is the easiest way to check fluid level and possibly fill it up

Duncan
Old 17-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Hi Duncan,

As marg99 mentioned, the LS-LV Focus is equipped with an Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering, and according to Ford, there is no requirement to check the fluid level. This is why it is buried deep down in the engine bay.

Unfortunately, the only way to check the fluid levels is to remove the headlight...a pain in the a$$.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #10
Team Evolution
Starter Motor

Thanks so if the fluid level is fine any ideas why the light comes on at different times steering still feels the same wether the light is on or off.

Could it possibly be an electronic problem if so any ideas.
Old 19-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I know this sounds stupid, but in your case, I'd still remove the headlight and check the fluid levels. There could be a slight leak anywhere in the system.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 02:28 AM   #12
Team Evolution
Starter Motor

Will pull out head light this weekend to check fluid level
Old 20-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Its below Driver side headlight

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post