Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #31
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I dont see what the big deal is.

So what if they put "P" plates up...so what if they have 57 aerials, special disco ball or whatever.

If you dont break the law, you have nothing to worry about!
Old 28-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I dont see what the big deal is.

So what if they put "P" plates up...so what if they have 57 aerials, special disco ball or whatever.

If you dont break the law, you have nothing to worry about!
If that were the case then we would not need courts would we.

After all everyone is always guilty of whatever crimes with which they are charged.
Old 28-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #33
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I said Flappist, "If you don't break the law you have nothing to worry about"

There are law breakers out there who will do the wrong thing and if they get caught by a police car with a "P" plate on it....Good!
Old 28-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #34
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Could someone be done for impersonating an officer if he drove around with dark tint, 10 antennas on the car and non-colored reflectors around the numberplate? Would be pretty funny actually with everyone slowing down near you, scare off tailgaters and everyone giving way.
Old 28-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #35
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Fair enough...

Interestingly... is that a 'legal' way of displaying the P plate??
this was always my understanding. an obscured p plate was ilegall. if it was a`copper` baitng people shouldn`t he be be charged have his car confiscated,crushed (he must be a "hoon" because he cant display his p plate correctly ?)
i`ll get back in my box now
Old 28-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I said Flappist, "If you don't break the law you have nothing to worry about"

There are law breakers out there who will do the wrong thing and if they get caught by a police car with a "P" plate on it....Good!
I am a bit confused here.

Are you saying that no one has ever been booked for a traffic offense they did not commit?

Or are you saying anything is fair game for the Police to do?

e.g. Should Police be able to hoon around and annoy you on the highway just to see if you will will take the bait? (which has happen to me but I did not take the bait although another did and was rolled).

How about "brake testing" you and then booking you for following too closely if you hit them.

Or deliberately driving slowing in front of you then accelerating to the speed limit as you try to overtake in a overtaking zone to see if you will speed past?

Where is the line drawn.........
Old 28-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #37
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickxr8
i`ll get back in my box now
That'd be good thanks.

I see no issue with the original post...the driver is probably just a P plater as others have said

Oo\===/oO
Old 28-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #38
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Here is an FG XR6T ute with p plates in QLD.

Apparently the guy was at a regular meet minding his own **** and then chucked on the lights when the kids left doing skids.

- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 28-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #39
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Could someone be done for impersonating an officer if he drove around with dark tint, 10 antennas on the car and non-colored reflectors around the numberplate? Would be pretty funny actually with everyone slowing down near you, scare off tailgaters and everyone giving way.

nope , like you said if they are white there is no drama, even red reflectors ok on the rear of the car .....
You cant put red on the front and cant use blue anywhere...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 28-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #40
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Are you saying that no one has ever been booked for a traffic offense they did not commit?

e.g. Should Police be able to hoon around and annoy you on the highway just to see if you will will take the bait? (which has happen to me but I did not take the bait although another did and was rolled).

How about "brake testing" you and then booking you for following too closely if you hit them.

Or deliberately driving slowing in front of you then accelerating to the speed limit as you try to overtake in a overtaking zone to see if you will speed past?

I am not suggesting that anyone is above the law, nor am I saying that mistakes are not made. What I am saying is there is far too many people on the road doing the wrong thing. Wouldn't you agree?

You have said as an example that what if police bait you...well if you take the bait, then that is your own fault. You are in charge of your vechile. You made the decision you were not going to take the bait, but someone else did and got done. If what happened was against the law, then have your day in court and prove it.

I am also not going to get into an arguement on whether I think that it is against the law for the police to display a "P" plate if in fact they are not a "P" plater. I do not have enough knowledge of the law.

Who is to say that the pic that was posted was not a genuine "P" plater on the force?

I just dont see why it is such a big deal. That's all.
Old 28-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #41
FgNewbie
Australia

Sorry to be a tad slow but I don't see the issue with a P plate being displayed, especially with the other tell-tale signs. If anything, I pay more attention to a P plater and there is no way I'm going to play tiddly winks on the road with them.

You never know what the police in Sydney are driving, they have had a lot of unusual cars over the years, some marked some unmarked. You only had to drive past Pelican St in the old days to get an idea. I vaguely remember reading about a yellow Lotus around Bankstown a few years ago. I believe there was a new marked Alfa Romeo in the Eastern Subs earlier this year, don't know where it is now.

I'll never forget back in the early 70s watching an extremely tall cop getting out of a Mini. I reckon he needed a shoe horn to get back in.

If someone else can verify / confirm, an acquaintance that worked Hwy Patrol claims, in the old days the "snow run" out of Sydney used unmarked rental cars.
Old 28-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #42
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I doubt any cops that is still on a P plate license has to display P plates when driving a cop car, occasionally you get a student paramedic that is still on P plates. They do have to complete the driver training course prior to driving an ambulance obviously but when in ambulance vehicles they are not required to display P plates.
Old 28-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #43
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember one night in my car, I had a guy next to me revving his engine and i didnt even bother looking at him just said "**** off ********", the bloke said what did you say?
I said you heard me.

he said I'm a copper mate,
My retort was well then you should know better then shouldn't you?

haha

Felcen!
Old 28-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #44
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh rude words well they werent that rude, one was wee off penisforhead haha

Felcen!
Old 28-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #45
fg_nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Thats what I was thinking??

Are you saying that there are no P-Plate cops out there??

And also - I doubt its a cop car...
Given its in fact an SV6...

More likely a young bloke who likes the LEDs, aerials, accessories, etc...

But I bet it slowed the OP down...
No its a cop car alright they have an Aurion and XR6 Turbs dressed in the same outfit.

I dont think a P Plater can afford a radar detector detector and the police radio let alone the jail time for impersonating a police officer.

You will probably find its an SS with out the badges.

I dont know what they do down in Victoria.
Old 28-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #46
fg_nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

That has happend to me on a few NSW roads. Minding my own business then the brake testing, over taking and slowing down. Gave up on me and then booked some middle ages woman who over took to get around it.

Hume Highway ! near Western Sydney.
Old 28-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #47
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Hope it's not a V8, these cops are only on their "P's" LOL.
Old 28-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #48
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
Hope it's not a V8, these cops are only on their "P's" LOL.
where is the lol in the fact that a police officer could be on thier p plates

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 28-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #49
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 points;

1) Why are P plates an issue even if it is a Police car?

2) It probably a security company patrol car, there are 3 F6's in melb with parcel shelf lights, front lights, 3 rear arials that are all functional, they are legitimate Security company patrol cars, NOT Police cars. Number plates start with SSG... many confuse them for under cover police cars...

Old 28-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #50
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
where is the lol in the fact that a police officer could be on thier p plates
Being a smart ****. Having said that, years of playing up when young, taught me how to spot a cop simply by the way they drive. If one's observant, you can pick a cop no matter what he or she drives. It's this attention to detail that most people don't have, and there usually the first to complain. Just like every endevour in life, there's the majority that are average, and a minority that pride themselves on constant improvement.
Old 28-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #51
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Almost time for a thread lock on this one. It seems to have gone a little skewif, what are we really talking about now?

The car with P plates?
Cops on P plates?
The cops tactics to bait people?
The fact that all the above are legitimate????
& as mentioned below, taking the picture while at the lights? (No biggy to me, its at the lights)
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 28-09-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 28-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #52
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg_nitro
Gave up on me and then booked some middle ages woman who over took to get around it.
How fast was her Chariot?
Old 28-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #53
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
Almost time for a thread lock on this one. It seems to have gone a little skewif, what are we really talking about now?

The car with P plates?
Cops on P plates?
The cops tactics to bait people?
The fact that all the above are legitimate????
Yes, the real crime here was committed by Bluey. Taking a picture whilst driving is a classic case of driving without due care. Expect a visit from the cops real soon
Old 28-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #54
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg_nitro
Gave up on me and then booked some middle ages woman who over took to get around it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
How fast was her Chariot?
Oh far out! A genuine LOL!
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Closed Thread