Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
GASXD

Default Hard to start Au.

Hi all, I have an au series 2, six. She has always been a tad lazy to start and the last few days she just cranks for a while then starts and runs fine. Now if i turn the key on and off a few times (5) to let it prime the line she starts first go. It has new coil pack new leads and plugs however it seems that its lossing pressure and it takes a bit to get it to prime. Pehaps its lossing pressure at the rail via the pump and there is no fuel at the rail upon startup???
Cheers
Doug.

GASXD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
GASXD

Smile Yeah....

Hi all, i'v given it some more thought.
1. spark is all ok.
2. Its not starving for fuel, so this ruels out fuel filter or blocked fuel line.
3.When started it runs fine and if restarted within the hour, it starts first go.
My guess is that the fuel pressure regulator is bleeding off rail pressure over time, i.e 10 to 12 hours or overnight. This would be a cause of hard starting due to not having sufficient fuel rail pressure upon start up. It would also explain why it starts first go when started say 20 minuets beforhand. Again I'm thinking fuel reg due to the fact that, when the ignition is switched on, say 4 times the fuel pump runs its prime cycle and therefor pressurises the rail and allows the engine to fire up first go, which it does. So thats what I'v come up with, but then again I'm no expert. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Cheers
Doug.
Old 20-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

There could be some evaporation going on somewhere. How long since you replaced your fuel filter? What sort of fuel do you run?
Old 20-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
GASXD

Default ..

Hi Hardware, I'm running 95. Did a major service about a month back and a fuel filter was one of the things i replaced.
Cheers
Doug.
Old 20-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
illusivedreams

Your injectors could be dirty and leaking.
Check if when the car start it blows a bit of smoke .
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
GASXD

Default ..

Hi Illusive, I'v checked for smoke at start up and its all clear. If i had a leaking injector would it not run rough on startup like a leaking head gasket. Also it could cause a slight but noticable rough idle?
I'v done a test over night by clamping the fuel supply line with brake line clamps. My reasons for this are that, if its leaking back through the check valve in the pump i would be lossing line pressure. I started it this morning and on the second crank it started. Now without the line being clamped the cranking time almost sent my battery flat. This to me says fuel pump, i'v checked for leaks and none appear to be visable nor can i smell any. Had i had starting trouble this morning i would have clamped the fuel return line off the reg but it seems to have done the trick. My question is, is the check valve located in the fuel pump on an AU or is it part of housing that it sits in located in the tank? Once again thanks to all for your input.
Cheers
Doug.

Last edited by GASXD; 21-02-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 21-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Pict

You're troubleshooting skills are intense.

Keen to see how this goes, my XR6 stumbles a bit on start up, and I cant for the life of my figure it out.
Pict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
webby_191189
low wagooon

intake manifold gasket?

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
XRATE-UTERUS
Banned

what was the outcome of this?
XRATE-UTERUS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

yeh would like to see outcome too.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
GASXD

Default out come.

Hi all,

Well she's been going like a train eversince I sorted this problem. What it turned out to be was the fuel lines that are benenth the passengers side footwell.
Where the plastic lines come from the engine bay down to the metal line that runs under the car.
The plastic clip that connects to the metal section wasn't sealing propperly and causing pressure to bleed of over time.
How i discoverd this was one morning when letting my car warm up it had a strong petrol smell from the engine bay.
I then stuck my head under to see it dripping from the connector.
I gave the conections a wiggle and a gentle push (as if i where trying to connect it onto the line) and that seemed to stop the leak and never had any dramas since.
Now I never came across a leak when I was looking around but anyhow there you go. thanks again to all for you'r thoughts and I hope this helps out somone who may have similar troubbles.

Cheers,
Doug.
Old 20-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

good stuff mate shold add it to the common probs & trouble shooting section of au's.

will check mine tomorrow ha just to be safe..

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post