Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #61
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I didn't exist?

the battery is going to be taking a beating, the alternator won't be able to top it up fully by the time the next time it turns off.

mate thats all been thought of, most systems dont activate if thats the case, and its been in production for over 10 years now with no worries...

give it a few years and it'll be the norm on most cars

remember these cars are designed to be stop start, its not like your shutting it off and re startring a normal car every time.... the engines are designed with this in mind and fire instantly, belt driven starters can crank all day long and not burn out, alternators that are much more powerful and larger capacity batteries than the 2xAAs in your current car...

just interested to see how its done on a turbo car, that said like i mentioned the system isnt always in operation unless the car thinks its right, so if you have been flogging it or the engine is too cold etc... it wont shut off
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #62
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I didn't exist?

I don't like the idea of this stop and start thing, especially if you happen to get caught at a few sets of lights in the CBD or something, car stops, car starts, 30 seconds down the road, car stops, car starts, so on so forth, the battery is going to be taking a beating, the alternator won't be able to top it up fully by the time the next time it turns off.
That's exactly what the thing is designed to do with an uprated battery.
It's not as though the motor companies went out and just put a kill switch on an unchanged car.
most of these stop/start vehicles re start the engine when battery is below a certain level or when you touch throttle/ release foot brake.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #63
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
That's exactly what the thing is designed to do with an uprated battery.
It's not as though the motor companies went out and just put a kill switch on an unchanged car.
most of these stop/start vehicles re start the engine when battery is below a certain level or when you touch throttle/ release foot brake.
Can't believe the negativity to this technology. Falcon is already getting efficient. This is the sort of stuff that will improve that further and close the gap to smaller offerings and keep it relevant. Turbo was once a dirty word. Yet the models with them attached has been our halo model since 2002.

Bring on EPAS, StopStart, electric water pump and between them there might be 15-20% fuel saving.

BMW have smart regenerative alternator charging which charges ad required or to add engine braking downhills. That saves a few percent too.

Add all this and mid 7s economy is achievable from our Barra 6.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #64
fmc351
let it burn

I havent read much on it, but how much is to do with the US eco laws and the requirement to meet an average of ?? mpg across the manufacturers range? If the US has to invest to meet requirements there, you can bet they will be trying to recoup it here if possible.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 02:20 AM   #65
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
I havent read much on it, but how much is to do with the US eco laws and the requirement to meet an average of ?? mpg across the manufacturers range? If the US has to invest to meet requirements there, you can bet they will be trying to recoup it here if possible.
USA and European testing regs.

Every time you switch off the engine on the city/urban stops, about 16-17 times,
it saves about 5-10% of the fuel and manufacturers get better fuel economy numbers.
The same would be true if you're stuck in stop/go peak hour traffic to and from work.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #66
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

If you go here you can read the full story.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #67
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Add all this and mid 7s economy is achievable from our Barra 6.
Not in the real world. Most Falcons run quite rich and stop-start traffic or short trips aren't exactly friendly to fuel economy. Weight reduction is the only way to go, like use better materials. Next Falcon will probably end up with plastic panels like the VE Commodore has.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #68
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Not in the real world.
Wouldn't be so sure about that. I did say achievable, not definitely. Even if they fell short and ended up at 8L/100km would that be terrible?

Quote:
Most Falcons run quite rich and stop-start traffic or short trips aren't exactly friendly to fuel economy.
Well, i've got tuning software and i have a pretty good idea on how rich Falcons run! At least in AU form which are the only vehicles i've tuned so far. Of course even with all that tech, they won't average mid 7s from cold start short trips and stop start traffic. That would be an improvement of some 40% from the current city figure! I was referring to the test cycle.

But lets look at the tech individually.
* Stop start tech wont kick in under cold start conditions. It is one of the parameters. But once warm, will provide significant stop-start benefits.
* The electric steering would still help.
* The electric water pump which can greatly reduce warmup time and therefore fueling requirements and lower parasitic drag.
* Automatic / smart regenerative recharging would still be applicable.

Quote:
Weight reduction is the only way to go, like use better materials. Next Falcon will probably end up with plastic panels like the VE Commodore has.
Totally agree. Ford agrees too. It is their stated aim under One Ford to reduce ALL future vehicle weights. With most facing a 10% chop and some significantly more. IMO I think the next Falcon may end up a fraction smaller too.

Quote:
Next Falcon will probably end up with plastic panels like the VE Commodore has.
I think you've jumped the gun. AFAIK GMHolden have talked about adding fibre reinforced plastic guards, bonnet and roof etc for 3years. But, have like many of their promises not followed through.

Retrotech thread
Old 31-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #69
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Isnt the boot floor on the VE sedan plastic/composit to account for a range of spare wheel options?
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #70
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I'm confused.. Are they saying Falcon EB willl have this when introduced or will get it at some stage??

The fact that the humble Falcon could have some of the worlds greatest & lastest tech under the bonnet, I think is a great step for Falcon.. EB engine with stop/ start.. Got to lose some of the "Dinosaur" tag?
They are trying to say Falcon will have the potential to get this technology if it is fitted to the EcoBoost 4, as it is supposed to be.

They are not saying it is definate, just potentially available if they want to use it.

I don't think it will be available initially in Falcon, maybe down the track it may be.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #71
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
If fuel economy is that much a concern, you need a smaller car.
Better to have a falcon return small car economy then have no falcon at all!

This is interesting, ford just need to advertise it, get public awareness out there!

The falcon isn't dying, its getting smarter, greener, safer.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #72
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/97145/no...ord-australia/

Quote:
No plans for Auto Start-Stop technology for Ford Australia
By Tim Beissmann | January 7th, 2011

Despite its widespread availability across Ford of Europe’s range, and a recent announcement from Ford North America that its cars and trucks will receive the technology from next year, Ford Australia currently has no plans to introduce start-stop engine technology into its range.

Auto Start-Stop is a relatively simple system. Whenever the vehicle comes to a stop and idles, the engine switches off automatically. It is restarted quickly and automatically when the driver re-engages the accelerator.

Ford says the technology could boost urban fuel economy by between four and 10 percent, depending on the size of the vehicle and its engine.

But Ford Australia’s Neil McDonald admitted he was not aware of any timeline for the introduction of the fuel- and emissions-saving system locally.

“There are no plans in the short term to introduce the technology,” Mr McDonald said.

The Auto Start-Stop system will debut in North America on Ford’s new direct-injection four-cylinder EcoBoost engine before expanding to the brand’s V6 and V8 engines.

Ford Australia will add the four-cylinder EcoBoost engine to its Falcon range later this year, but it will not be accompanied by Auto Start-Stop, at least not in the near future.

Mr McDonald said the technology was expected to be “slotted in eventually” for the Falcon, but said at this stage it was still a “wait and see” prospect.

He said the development and engineering required locally was the major impediment to introducing Auto Start-Stop, admitting that Ford Australia was currently “flat out” with other work.

Another reason why Ford cannot add Auto Start-Stop to its local line-up is that, in order to achieve acceptably fast re-starts in traffic, the system requires direct-injection engines – which are currently few and far between in Australia.

Auto Start-Stop is already featured in some models of the Ka, Focus, Mondeo, C-MAX and Grand C-MAX in Europe, and will be added to the Fusion Hybrid, Escape Hybrid and Lincoln MKZ Hybrid in North America this year.

More than 170,000 Ford hybrid vehicles have already been fitted with a similar system in North America since 2004. A Ford US spokesperson recently told Reuters he expected 90 percent of Ford’s line-up to feature Auto Start-Stop by 2015.

When it debuts in North America, the new Auto Start-Stop will be available on petrol-powered cars and utilities with either manual, automatic or dual-clutch transmissions.

The system utilises an electric-powered water pump to circulate coolant when the engine is stopped, upgraded starter motor specially engineered to endure more restarts, stronger ring gear on the engine flywheel and an enhanced 12-volt battery.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #73
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Why did he write that stop/start requires direct injection, and Ford don't have that, when he wrote earlier that the Ecoboost 4 is direct injection and going into the Falcon?

Seems like a contradiction.

Ford would be flat out getting the Falcon engineered for Ecoboost, stop/start will probabaly come later down the track it seems.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #74
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

The caradvice article is full of contradictions and some ignorance. More on that later.

I am surprised it took until post #66 for someone to reference a Ford news release about the technology. Here is a very important part from that release...

Ford's global Auto Start-Stop technology is smooth, quiet and seamless, and it requires no changes to the driver's behavior. In city driving when the vehicle is stopped, the engine restarts the instant the driver's foot leaves the brake pedal. When the engine is off, all of the vehicle's accessories function normally.

"For the driver, Ford Auto Start-Stop provides extra fuel efficiency without inconvenience, as it works completely automatically," said Barb Samardzich, Ford vice president of Powertrain engineering. "And, just like in our hybrid vehicles, the heater, and air conditioner work as normal so drivers will not sacrifice comfort."

Do you think Ford will sell you a vehicle where the AC will cut out on you in stopped traffic on a sweltering day? Lose heat in the winter?

I have been following this at Ford as my knee-jerk reaction is to reject it. As I read more into it (Ford internal publications) I have warmed up to it. It's nothing like you would expect.

The reason you need a direct injected engine for this is because of the technique for restarting the engine. First let me make clear, the engine starts when you release the brake, not when you step on the accelerator.

When the engine comes to a stop in this mode it stops with a cylinder on the compression stroke near TDC. When you release the brake the injector shoots fuel into that cylinder so that when the spark plug is fired the engine starts immediately. Your starter will not be cranking like you are used to.

Have you seen the top of an EcoBoost engine piston? It has a pocket in it with a channel going to the side of the piston. This channel is for the fuel injector to shoot fuel into at specific times. When the engine is cold the injector only shoots in 1/2 of the amount of fuel needed to run the engine on the intake stroke. This fuel is spread through out the cylinder. On the compression stroke the rest of the fuel charge is shot into the cylinder when the piston nears TDC, but through that channel in the piston to the pocket in the center. That pocket is centered with the sparkplug and now has a "rich" fuel mixture around the tip of the sparkplug for "cold starting." THAT is how high tech this engine is. This way no "additional fuel" is required for cold operation.

With Start-Stop the piston is near TDC and fuel is shot into that channel to the pocket in the center for a near-instantaneous starting of the engine.

Ford has been praised by many automotive magazines for their hybrid's ability to kick in the engine almost imperceptively with this technology. It has been stated many times that Ford does this better than anyone else.

I don't know if the electric pump to circulate coolant while stopped only runs while the engine is off. I would expect so to ensure longevity of the motor for the pump but I have not read anything about that either way.

Back to the caradvice article:

I don't know if Ford officially has plans for this in the Falcon but I cannot see why not. The EcoBoost I-4 will have it and the Falcon will get this engine, so why not?

The article states the engine is restarted when the driver re-engages the accelerator. That is incorrect. Ford states in their press releases (if a journalist reads them) that the engine is restarted when the brake pedal is released.

"Another reason why Ford cannot add Auto Start-Stop to its local line-up is that, in order to achieve acceptably fast re-starts in traffic, the system requires direct-injection engines – which are currently few and far between in Australia."

Funny, he was talking about the EcoBoost version of the Falcon only, which is a direct injected engine that is coming to the Falcon. Now he's complaining that there aren't too many direct injected engines. Ok, well, wait until they are supposed to be there! Ford said "It's coming!" He makes it sound like there will be no direct injected engines in Australia. He might as well say "I don't think they are going to build a 5.0L Falcon because there aren't many 5.0L engines in Austraila."

The reporter also states that the stop-start technology "... will be added to the Fusion Hybrid, Escape Hybrid and Lincoln MKZ Hybrid in North America this year." Then in the next sentence states "More than 170,000 Ford hybrid vehicles have already been fitted with a similar system in North America since 2004." Well, he obviously does not know, and did not look into, the fact that the very cars he mentioned ARE the cars that already have that technology.

This guy has his head up his ***.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #75
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Thanks for clearing a few things up Ohio XB. Do you have any further info on how the A/C system functions with this technology? Surely they must use an electric compressor similar to the prius?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #76
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
Thanks for clearing a few things up Ohio XB. Do you have any further info on how the A/C system functions with this technology? Surely they must use an electric compressor similar to the prius?
The Lotus Elise has an electric compressor too. As per my above posts i'm pretty sure most would see that i'm an advocating more electric ancillaries in the car. Ie Water pump, power steering, regenerative charging via alternator. I think adding air conditioning compressor is probably another one to add to that list which is clearly necessary with stop-start.

Having these items driven electrically frees up underbonnet room by not requiring to be driven off the crank, reduces fuel consumption as the systems kick in when required, their control systems are often superior too.

I like big powerful cars, but added economy is great and narrows the ownership cost down towards smaller cars.

Retrotech thread
Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #77
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
The caradvice article is full of contradictions and some ignorance. More on that later.

I am surprised it took until post #66 for someone to reference a Ford news release about the technology. Here is a very important part from that release...

Ford's global Auto Start-Stop technology is smooth, quiet and seamless, and it requires no changes to the driver's behavior. In city driving when the vehicle is stopped, the engine restarts the instant the driver's foot leaves the brake pedal. When the engine is off, all of the vehicle's accessories function normally.

"For the driver, Ford Auto Start-Stop provides extra fuel efficiency without inconvenience, as it works completely automatically," said Barb Samardzich, Ford vice president of Powertrain engineering. "And, just like in our hybrid vehicles, the heater, and air conditioner work as normal so drivers will not sacrifice comfort."

Do you think Ford will sell you a vehicle where the AC will cut out on you in stopped traffic on a sweltering day? Lose heat in the winter?

I have been following this at Ford as my knee-jerk reaction is to reject it. As I read more into it (Ford internal publications) I have warmed up to it. It's nothing like you would expect.

The reason you need a direct injected engine for this is because of the technique for restarting the engine. First let me make clear, the engine starts when you release the brake, not when you step on the accelerator.

When the engine comes to a stop in this mode it stops with a cylinder on the compression stroke near TDC. When you release the brake the injector shoots fuel into that cylinder so that when the spark plug is fired the engine starts immediately. Your starter will not be cranking like you are used to.

Have you seen the top of an EcoBoost engine piston? It has a pocket in it with a channel going to the side of the piston. This channel is for the fuel injector to shoot fuel into at specific times. When the engine is cold the injector only shoots in 1/2 of the amount of fuel needed to run the engine on the intake stroke. This fuel is spread through out the cylinder. On the compression stroke the rest of the fuel charge is shot into the cylinder when the piston nears TDC, but through that channel in the piston to the pocket in the center. That pocket is centered with the sparkplug and now has a "rich" fuel mixture around the tip of the sparkplug for "cold starting." THAT is how high tech this engine is. This way no "additional fuel" is required for cold operation.

With Start-Stop the piston is near TDC and fuel is shot into that channel to the pocket in the center for a near-instantaneous starting of the engine.

Ford has been praised by many automotive magazines for their hybrid's ability to kick in the engine almost imperceptively with this technology. It has been stated many times that Ford does this better than anyone else.

I don't know if the electric pump to circulate coolant while stopped only runs while the engine is off. I would expect so to ensure longevity of the motor for the pump but I have not read anything about that either way.

I don't know if Ford officially has plans for this in the Falcon but I cannot see why not. The EcoBoost I-4 will have it and the Falcon will get this engine, so why not?

The article states the engine is restarted when the driver re-engages the accelerator. That is incorrect. Ford states in their press releases (if a journalist reads them) that the engine is restarted when the brake pedal is released.

"Another reason why Ford cannot add Auto Start-Stop to its local line-up is that, in order to achieve acceptably fast re-starts in traffic, the system requires direct-injection engines – which are currently few and far between in Australia."

Funny, he was talking about the EcoBoost version of the Falcon only, which is a direct injected engine that is coming to the Falcon. Now he's complaining that there aren't too many direct injected engines. Ok, well, wait until they are supposed to be there! Ford said "It's coming!" He makes it sound like there will be no direct injected engines in Australia. He might as well say "I don't think they are going to build a 5.0L Falcon because there aren't many 5.0L engines in Austraila."

The reporter also states that the stop-start technology "... will be added to the Fusion Hybrid, Escape Hybrid and Lincoln MKZ Hybrid in North America this year." Then in the next sentence states "More than 170,000 Ford hybrid vehicles have already been fitted with a similar system in North America since 2004." Well, he obviously does not know, and did not look into, the fact that the very cars he mentioned ARE the cars that already have that technology.

Steve
Thanks for more great information Steve. Your last line in this post was of course the best! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #78
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
The Lotus Elise has an electric compressor too. As per my above posts i'm pretty sure most would see that i'm an advocating more electric ancillaries in the car. Ie Water pump, power steering, regenerative charging via alternator. I think adding air conditioning compressor is probably another one to add to that list which is clearly necessary with stop-start.

Having these items driven electrically frees up underbonnet room by not requiring to be driven off the crank, reduces fuel consumption as the systems kick in when required, their control systems are often superior too.

I like big powerful cars, but added economy is great and narrows the ownership cost down towards smaller cars.

Yeah I totally agree. I have been saying they should run electric compressors, power steering pumps etc ever since our fuel prices shot up and everyone became so worried about fuel economy. It makes perfect sense and has been used on quite a few cars already.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #79
Xr6couple
Starter Motor

Hang on a second... Is no one worried about the smaller car factor? I just purchased my first falcon for the very reason it's a big car. I've had 2.0 Litre subaru's, I've had numerous toyota's. A galant! I love my big falcon. If people want a small fuel efficient car get a small fuel efficient car. Id love to pay less on fuel, stop start technology sounds like the best idea since efi if you ask me. But a smaller 2.0l 4 cylinder falcon? It's Mondeo with falcon styling? Grrr maybe it's just I'm young and naive but what is falcon all about? It's the family muscle car right? Ah my opinion anyway.

Last edited by Xr6couple; 09-01-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Xr6couple is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #80
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xr6couple
Hang on a second... Is no one worried about the smaller car factor? I just purchased my first falcon for the very reason it's a big car. I've had 2.0 Litre subaru's, I've had numerous toyota's. A galant! I love my big falcon. If people want a small fuel efficient car get a small fuel efficient car. Id love to pay less on fuel, stop start technology sounds like the best idea since efi if you ask me. But a smaller 2.0l 4 cylinder falcon? It's Mondeo with falcon styling? Grrr maybe it's just I'm young and naive but what is falcon all about? It's the family muscle car right? Ah my opinion anyway.
Stop confusing yourself lol

The falcon about broad appeal, its going to have a Economic, put powerfull 4cly for one group of people...

...Its going to have its 6 for another...

...then the V8 for the other group of people.

When people go to look for a new car, they will; see 2L, 4cyl, and give them an option besides a Camary or cruze.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #81
kpcart
Banned

i can imagine driving one of these, with the stress included, and then one day lift the foot off the pedal, and it doesnt restart. i hope they do millions of kms of testing this, and seeing how many times it works until it fails. also if they includ this in cars, i hope it is also only optional, and that you can bypass it.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #82
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
i. i hope they do millions of kms of testing this, and seeing how many times it works until it fails.

Car companies don't test new technologies, they just say it will work and sell it.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 09-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #83
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Car companies don't test new technologies, they just say it will work and sell it.
Ford are hardly likely to send this out without thorough testing, given the costs of mass recalls of defective products, not to mention the brand damage of bad publicity (ask Toyota).

Whether it's tested thoroughly enough to replicate real world conditions may be a whole 'nother story, however.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 02:54 AM   #84
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB

Steve
Another great post as usual Steve. Thanks for the useful info as well. Your points help explain why Ford US has such a good rep on the hybrid/fuel saving tech not just in performance and green credentials but ease of use and care free factor. That is very important if the average guy is to take it on board.

As for the article its a shame because car advice is one of the better sources in aus. Haven't heard of that bloke before....sounds like a new hire who should have been a no hire.... Contradictory and a misrepresentation of what the ford aus spokesman actually said. Unlike Holden (GM) Ford doesn't claim a bunch of stuff will happen and then not deliver....they give hints and make concrete statements only when when they know it will actually go in the car. I'd be shocked if Ford Aus cars didn't get stop start and other tech over time...it might be delayed up to a couple of years but One Ford means that there is very little reason not to put new tech in a car if its all being shared. Once EB I4 goes in falcon then that makes 2 out of 3 engines fitted in FG that are US sources/designed so go figure.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #85
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
Isnt the boot floor on the VE sedan plastic/composit to account for a range of spare wheel options?

GFRP Boot floor and Composite Radiator support...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 10-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #86
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
You're welcome.

I don't have any more info on this and that is something I am curious about. I will post it here if I find/read anything.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #87
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Thanks everyone.

Fors has testing facilities in the desert of Arizona and in Alaska to test technology in the extremes of temperature. There has been a start-stop technology on 170,000 cars Ford has sold since 2004 and I have not heard complaint about it. Ford id really big on testing their stuff now, not to say about decades past because I do not know. I do know that their stuff if tested like crazy now.

Ford has the most hybrid vehicles available in the US and also offers the most cars that get over 40 MPG in the US.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 10-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #88
DOG20L

Does the start/stop work with manuals too? it says above that the engine restarts when the brake pedal is released. I also assume it is switchable or the or a good oldfashion burnout may be endangered!
DOG20L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #89
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Ford are hardly likely to send this out without thorough testing, given the costs of mass recalls of defective products, not to mention the brand damage of bad publicity (ask Toyota).

Whether it's tested thoroughly enough to replicate real world conditions may be a whole 'nother story, however.

My post should have ended with "/Sarcasm"...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 10-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #90
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
My post should have ended with "/Sarcasm"...

Ha, it's often hard to "hear" the writer's tone in an Internet posting.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post