Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #31
honda99ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
keen to hear you report back alex
Well I took it for a 'run' yesterday. Still getting used to the slowish speed limits here. Haha. In the States I don't think I ever drove around town at 60km/37mph. Coming from New York we're way too impatient for that but Aussies are so laid back!!!
Anyway the idle is definitely markedly improved. I'm trying hard to feel the rhythmic pulsating but it's way more subtle/non-existant. I think the coil pack fixed it. At least to my butt.
I will do the fuel filter anyway since I bought it already.

BUT in trying to fix the idle I suddenly noticed the engine ticks like mad. Cold and Hot. The noise is near the rocker cover / intake side / injectors? Front side, cylinder/injectors 1-2-3 only. I don't know if I was just deaf to it before or not. Could have been there the entire time. Can't hear it inside the car but lift the bonnet and tick tick tick tick tick... Reading up on it suggests lifters?? Oil is topped up. I have Mobil Semi Syn 10W-40 in it. Been in there only 4000km but for 6 months. Going to do a change. Have Valvoline Semi Syn 15W-40 lying around. Should I go thinner to attack sticky lifters or thicker? Also going to try one of those additives... Recommendations??
honda99ex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #32
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

So is it still fixed Alex?

Ticking? Well there's always fuel injector tick, but it is possible to have a stickling hydraulic lash adjuster. Where in Aus are you? I've run 15w40 semi-syn in my car for 100k now and it's been all sweet, but my motor rattles and grumbles and squawks and carries on all the time.
Old 15-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #33
honda99ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
So is it still fixed Alex?

Ticking? Well there's always fuel injector tick, but it is possible to have a stickling hydraulic lash adjuster. Where in Aus are you? I've run 15w40 semi-syn in my car for 100k now and it's been all sweet, but my motor rattles and grumbles and squawks and carries on all the time.
The idle is definitely fixed. I am convinced it was the ignition coil. I waited two days and then did the fuel filter too. It's always hard to tell because it's an on again off again problem (cold starts only) so it may stall again next week... but fingers crossed.

For the ticking, I did an oil change with the Valvoline Engine Armour Semi Syn 15W-40 I had around plus added a bottle of Nulon Lifter Free. The ticking has improved but is still there after 80km of driving. The Mobil Semi Syn 10W-30 I had in there was 6 months old, possibly contaminated since I had my leak and gummied with Wynn's Stop Leak. I am almost positive the sound wasn't there before.

Questions
1) What do fuel injector tick and lash adjusters sound like?
2) Is there any way to change the oil on the AU without making a damn mess? Jack toward one side? Level Ground? Twice now I've stained up the drive. On my other cars, I let them sit over night on the stands/ramps and then remove the filter. I never have more than 2 drops spill out after draining for 12 hours. Stupid falcon I leave up there, spin the filter and oil everywhere!!!
3) I should've done it this time but I want to do an oil flush. I definitely can see silt under the oil cap which I've wiped away but can't get to the bits under the rocker cover. Probably want to do it gradually... I was thinking maybe some diesel oil 1L next time on each successive change? Just go do a straight oil flush with a marketed oil flush? Kerosene? Remove rocker cover?

I'm in Perth. Car is used for mixed city and some highway. Used about 50km a day. Maybe less. It never gets below zero here weather wise and no rain...
Old 15-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i usually have a few old rags around and try and wipe the oil of the block and sump before it runs to far, short of that all i can think of other than that is perhaps one of those tin drip trays or one of those $2.00 ground sheets you get when painting to put under the car.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #35
04baford

take fuel press reg out and clean it they block up
04baford is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #36
honda99ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04baford
take fuel press reg out and clean it they block up
Very interested in doing this. Are there any how-to tutorials or tips? I wrote another guy with a non AU but the AU fuel press reg doesn't look like it can be maintained only replaced??