Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
sly
Sly like a G6

Default Dual Exhaust for Wagon?

I have a 3" system on the blown beast that is "just a tad" loud at full noise. I haven't been arrested yet but I'd like to quieten it down a bit without choking it too much. It also has a booming harmonic (like a light aeroplane) at around 2400rpm which is a pain in the ears under any sort of load at freeway speeds. Nearly drove me spare during a recent trip to Warrnambool as the road between Newie and Melbourne is almost all 110km/h.

I understand that I'd have much more of a choice of quieter mufflers in the 2" - 2.25" range, and that systems like on the XR6T run mufflers that have twin 2.25" inlets and outlets. But the BA floorpan is apparently different and allows room for bigger mufflers.

Has anyone tried fitting a full twin 2" or 2.25" system under an AU? My Paceys have been modded with a 3" collector and my cat has 3" in/out, so I'd be looking to Y out behind the cat.

The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Its easy, but you HAVE to heatshield the plastic AU Fuel tank right around so it doesn't melt

and it is possible.. easier in a wagon due to the old cart leaf springs
Old 22-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
sly
Sly like a G6

It doesn't have to be symmetric. I'd be happy to have both pipes go to the right side with dual tips on the right.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

oh sorry, i couldn't read the OP properly..

yeah, its quite easy on a wagon due to the space (as above) and if you wanted to, you could even run twins out the back of each side (even if it means a single 2.25" to either side then 2.25" single in to 2.5" dual chrome out on either side)

it would look good, and give better airflow as far as i can see