Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #61
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Re: QPS's latest toy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
And they were spread over 12 years, do you know when the next will be?
I guess what I'm getting at is why NOW and not 15 years ago?? It doesn't make sense...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #62
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No time machines invented yet sorry.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #63
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
I guess what I'm getting at is why NOW and not 15 years ago?? It doesn't make sense...
Why not 30 years ago before the listed incidents?

I am sorry but I do not see that as a reason not to have that sort of equipment supplied.

That and the world is a different place now to what it was 15 years ago and it is not for the better.

I guess I see things differently. I used to have the same opinions as many here until through some career experiences I became aware of some of the threats and security risks that exist both overseas and here.
Old 21-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #64
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Why not 30 years ago before the listed incidents?

I am sorry but I do not see that as a reason not to have that sort of equipment supplied.

That and the world is a different place now to what it was 15 years ago and it is not for the better.

I guess I see things differently. I used to have the same opinions as many here until through some career experiences I became aware of some of the threats and security risks that exist both overseas and here.
Well because now Qld is apparently broke...seems like an odd time to invest in such a device...unless the Federal govt. has chipped in 100% as opposed to just a portion...

You'll have to excuse me, I'm still trying to get my head around it. You gave me some things to think about, but then I thought some more...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #65
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

After finding out they have no use for this (and enough time has passed for the taxpayer to forget about it), it will probably end up parked up in some holding yard for a year or so gathering dust and rust before been sold of for a fraction of the price.....

Bets anyone......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #66
Flaming Mo

One of the more regular frequent functions of SERT is hot entries during deemed high risk raids on houses, industrial premises and properties. I suspect that most of the persons here with negative comments have little clue as to the extensive security measures that serious crooks use to protect their operations and compounds. I suspect SERT will no longer need to resort to forklifts and the like, to gain entry through heavily fortified gates, doors and sheds. This unit will enable them to get more numbers in faster.

The unit also provides for a mobile ability for negotiators to verbally communicate with armed suspects during sieges etc, without having to leave the safe confines of the armoured vehicle.

Also, there are many shooting incidents where police are required to perform urban and bushland searches for gunmen, and police have been shot and killed in the past while performing this function. And as mentioned, the vehicle will also assist in rescue and retrieval of wounded etc. (Of the three Qld police killed in the last decade by gunmen, two of the officers laid for hours before being retrieved due to no protection for rescue teams, and the other was shot and killed during a search for an armed offender). This vehicle may not have saved them, but it may save others.

Many seem to link this vehicle with anti terrorism activity only. Anyone who’s been in the job will know it will get a fair run. And if you don’t know what police do, you are probably not in a reasonable position to pass judgement on what is an acceptable cost for their safety.

I’m all for accountability and wastage of taxpayer’s money, but I’m sure there are a few more items above the list than this one.

Cheers.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #67
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@Flaming Mo, good post I mistakenly thought it was obivous that this unit would be used in many roles other than CT.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post