Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default AUII Brake uprgade - Advice sought

Hi all. The time has come to give the LTD a brake upgrade. I have been trying to research options on the net, but I am sure that just makes life more confusing. So far, I have looked at the PBR option and got a quote from Race Brakes in Sydney, only to find these are supposedly just slotted B series brakes. I think the term used was "taxi spec". Brembos are an obvious choice, but I am sure they are one of the most expensive choices as well!

Rather than beating around the web, I figured it was smartest to ask those in the know - you guys. Factors that I need to consider are obviously inital cost and more importantly maintenance costs - ie replacement pads and rotor wear/replacement.

Any feedback advice greatly appreciated guys.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: AUII Brake uprgade - Advice sought

It really depends on what your needs are if your going to the track, or just a bit of spirited driving. Cheapest option would be the slotted rotor with a decent pad option, Being a S2 the standard set up isn't that bad with that option , next would be the premo upgrade ( PBR C4 kit i think it is ) the twin piston in the caliper is smaller but the rotor steps up a fair bit, this with slotted and drilled rotors with good pads are very effective, and provided you can get a set with the mounting hardware are reasonable priced second hand , If you want the whole box and dice and have the cash go with Brembo or Alcon race type set up. Give FTG a call they often have some good second hand options

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
It really depends on what your needs are if your going to the track, or just a bit of spirited driving. Cheapest option would be the slotted rotor with a decent pad option, Being a S2 the standard set up isn't that bad with that option , next would be the premo upgrade ( PBR C4 kit i think it is ) the twin piston in the caliper is smaller but the rotor steps up a fair bit, this with slotted and drilled rotors with good pads are very effective, and provided you can get a set with the mounting hardware are reasonable priced second hand , If you want the whole box and dice and have the cash go with Brembo or Alcon race type set up. Give FTG a call they often have some good second hand options
Thanks Whoosha. Definately not track in an LTD, but certainly would be up for some spirited driving. Probably looking a new options at the moment rather than second hand.

This is what I was looking at PBR PK2 - was not priced way out of my league.

http://www.pbrperformance.com.au/doc...AUIIFalcon.pdf

Not sure what Brembo or Alcon are worth, but I thought this was reasonable.

Your thoughts?

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 21-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

Go to BA fronts and rears. Fronts you just need the calipers, rotors and pads, get a good set, and rears you just need rotors and a good set of pads. It is all bolt on, and shouldnt take more than an hour.
The next step up wuld be to a BF (?) 320 odd mm fronts, and bigger rears. Not sure how it all bolts on though.
Old 21-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Day-mow
rexnet

really. BA fronts just bolt on? hmmmmmmm

but QFM pads and RDA/DBA slottered rotors. but its the pads that will make the difference.

i do some pretty spirited driving in my XR and i have QFM K500's and im really really happy with them. rotors havn't really warped and brake fade is pretty minimum.

i've herd the HPX is a better pad. so seeing as you want something serious go that. i just found the K500's on Ebay and hit that up. talk to site sponsor race brakes syd.
very helpful

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
Thanks Whoosha. Definately not track in an LTD, but certainly would be up for some spirited driving. Probably looking a new options at the moment rather than second hand.

This is what I was looking at PBR PK2 - was not priced way out of my league.

http://www.pbrperformance.com.au/doc...AUIIFalcon.pdf

Not sure what Brembo or Alcon are worth, but I thought this was reasonable.

Your thoughts?
That set up looks similar to the Premo set up . if the price is rite / it looks the goods defiantly worth looking into
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Go to BA fronts and rears. Fronts you just need the calipers, rotors and pads, get a good set, and rears you just need rotors and a good set of pads. It is all bolt on, and shouldnt take more than an hour.
The next step up would be to a BF (?) 320 odd mm fronts, and bigger rears. Not sure how it all bolts on though.
^^^^^What he said. You get a 297mm rotor (up from 287), with slightly larger pad - get DBA slotteds or slotted and dimpled/cross drilled, and you shoul get no fade.

For improved braking, it's no so much size that makes the difference, but the disc swept area and pad surface area. IMO, BA brakes on an AU is a sensible upgrade, and with slotted rortors getting rid of built up gasses, and a decent set of pads (such as the QFMs recommended), your stopping power should be more than you'll ever need.

auIILTD - Your other option, if you realy want bigger, is to swap my Tickford setup with RDA slotteds onto your car (and your stock AU2s onto mine), with cash difference my way (you do the research, and come up with a fair price). Straight bolt on, and you get the 320odd mm rotor, twin piston callipers with Tickford wings, and they've just had a calliper kit through them so are as good as new. Replacement discs are around $300 odd for RDAs, $450 odd for DBAs, and pads are around $75 for the front set. I have a set of rear Tickford grooved discs that just replace your stock ones - yours for nix if you take the fronts as well.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Thanks JC - food for thought. Definately worth considering. The PBR kit linked above goes from 287mm to 325mm on the front and to 303mm on the rear. Pad area goes from 62cm sq to 73 cm sq - and they are new. I will think about it a bit more.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 24-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Although a little exxy, Brembos are the business. They've come down in price in the last year or two, I cry when you can get a full set of 4/4 new for under $4k complete, I paid $4.8k. I reckon you'd be able to pick up a cheap second hand set for around 2.5k to 3k without too much trouble, plus you have the rims already to fit them.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride
Although a little exxy, Brembos are the business. They've come down in price in the last year or two, I cry when you can get a full set of 4/4 new for under $4k complete, I paid $4.8k. I reckon you'd be able to pick up a cheap second hand set for around 2.5k to 3k without too much trouble, plus you have the rims already to fit them.
Thanks Ride. Just had a look at your car - awesome! $4K is possibly still looking a bit expensive, but I am going to speak to Matt at Race Brakes after Easter to discuss my options and prices. One question. How much are your brake pads for the Brembos?

Cheers and thanks.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 25-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Haven't had to replace street pads yet and I've had them in since end of 2008, I've probably done 30-35k on them and I reckon they've got another 5k in them.

Only pads I've bought is dual carbon pads from Matt for around $450 but they are a track only pad, of which they're barely showing signs of wear after 3 track days. I'd speak to Matt to get a price on regular Brembo pads, but from what I've heard the genuine ones are a bit expensive ... there are a lot of other options out there that would be cheaper and perform the same.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post