Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2005, 12:20 AM   #1
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Number Plate Covers

i am so pi**ed off.
okay heres the story.. i was travelling at 60km/h and as i was going down a hill at night my car gradually got to 70km'h and i was flashed..
i did not desever this because i was coasting down the hill and every car behind me got flashed too!!

i was wondering if there is such a cover that goes over your number plate to deflect the camera taking a photo of your plate.

i have heard rumours but i was wondering if anybody has them and where you get them from

cheers guys!

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

None that work & even if they did with most cameras now been digatal that don't need a flash night you still be done.
Old 28-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
Stampy

Try vasoline on your hands for when you shake the judge's hand you may be able to slip away or it may reflect the flash , i haven't tryed it just heard about it

Last edited by Stampy; 28-10-2005 at 09:09 AM. Reason: HA HA
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 08:49 AM   #4
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

"Hello" Constable Care Here . "This is a public forum"

As original from showroom floor with all options
Additions - Pacemakers turbo400 3" exhaust
Custom cai prototype No 4
Stage 1 shift kit with neck brace
Still to come DIVORCE
KEV EB XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
VilkasBAMIIXR6T
Banned

I have seen number plate covers that seem to deflect the light, when seen on angles and also others that are down right stuffed so rego plate not seen. A common trick is to leave some dirt/leaves in between plate and cover, excuse is that you have not cleaned. But altering number plates or displaying them not in accordance with road rules victoria could be $100 + fine and 3 demerit points.
VilkasBAMIIXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

I bought a set of fog number plate covers from Perth years ago. When you looked at them straight on they were clear and from about 10% or more angel they appeared to be fogged up. never got a speed fine while I had them on.

I was asked to remove then by an friend officer one day. I don;t think he would of been friendly if I did not remove them. He stood there while I took them off.

They were advertise in motorsport mag at the time. I have not see that add for years.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
XPcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
i am so pi**ed off.
okay heres the story.. i was travelling at 60km/h and as i was going down a hill at night my car gradually got to 70km'h and i was flashed..
i did not desever this because i was coasting down the hill and every car behind me got flashed too!!
cheers guys!
I don't mean to be an ***, but the speed of your vehicle is your responsibility, hill or no hill, you were speeding, it's black and white.

While cameras are barred on certain hills (dependending on angle the hill makes with the flat of the ground) doesnt mean they will not be on all hills, like hills below that are below that specified angle (think it's about 30 degrees). I'd be crossing your fingers and hoping it was a kid with a camera flash, or the reflection of the car behind has blurred at least one digit of your plate...

Don't mean to be rude or harsh, but like I said, you were speeding, you admit that yourself... next time use the break peddal.

Oh and this is a public forum, not the smartest idea requesting an illegal item...
Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads
NGK Sports Plugs
Autotecnica Oil Catch Can
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 06:03 PM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
i am so pi**ed off.

i was wondering if there is such a cover that goes over your number plate to deflect the camera taking a photo of your plate.

i have heard rumours but i was wondering if anybody has them and where you get them from

cheers guys!
Huh? You don't think you deserve this because you were coasting? You can't be serious.

If you don't want ya numberplate photographed, don't speed that's the easiest way.

And no, there is no way you can legally deflect the flash. If the police find you have tried to do this they will fine you.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 06:11 PM   #9
aimzes
...fairly odd

theres a spray you can buy its often advertised in car mags, i dont think its worth doing because of the massive fines if your caught.
Old 28-10-2005, 07:00 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
theres a spray you can buy its often advertised in car mags, i dont think its worth doing because of the massive fines if your caught.
Been proven on more than one occasion to be totally useless.
Old 28-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #11
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i know guys that i deserved it... i was speeding...
sorry for bringing up illegal talk in the public forum.
cheers for the help anyway!

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #12
CarBroker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesiS
While cameras are barred on certain hills (dependending on angle the hill makes with the flat of the ground) doesnt mean they will not be on all hills, like hills below that are below that specified angle (think it's about 30 degrees).
I don't mean to be pedantic, but 30 degrees a very very steep hill. It is generally considered that you should never attempt to drive up (or down?) a 30+ degree incline in a 4WD. Going crosswise on a 30 degree angle would be quite dangerous.

Maybe 15 degrees?
CarBroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 11:21 PM   #13
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilkasBAMIIXR6T
A common trick is to leave some dirt/leaves in between plate and cover, excuse is that you have not cleaned.
Saw a black 04 Mercedes Benz CLK 320 Elegance on the freeway the other day. Paintwork was spotless.. gleaming! But the rear number plate looked like it hadn't been washed since purchase. Couldn't read it. LOL.. a $100G+ car and she's worried about getting busted for speeding. _

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 11:38 PM   #14
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

A photographer I knew used to use a bounce flash, ie a sensor that upon receiving a flash, immediately sets another flash off (like in photography studios) . He had the sensor and flash rigged up in the number plate light holder of his car.

I assume he is law abiding now, as the new "safety cameras" don't use flashes...
Old 29-10-2005, 12:55 AM   #15
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBroker
I don't mean to be pedantic, but 30 degrees a very very steep hill. It is generally considered that you should never attempt to drive up (or down?) a 30+ degree incline in a 4WD. Going crosswise on a 30 degree angle would be quite dangerous.

Maybe 15 degrees?
Yeah your probably right, i was just trying to think of an example...
Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads
NGK Sports Plugs
Autotecnica Oil Catch Can
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2005, 04:49 PM   #16
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351
I assume he is law abiding now, as the new "safety cameras" don't use flashes...

Safety Cameras......LMAO!
Old 29-10-2005, 08:47 PM   #17
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
save your money...they dont work. i found out the hard way :-( BTW, this is legal in WA because the police know it doesnt work and dont care if you use it.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #18
VilkasBAMIIXR6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012
Saw a black 04 Mercedes Benz CLK 320 Elegance on the freeway the other day. Paintwork was spotless.. gleaming! But the rear number plate looked like it hadn't been washed since purchase. Couldn't read it. LOL.. a $100G+ car and she's worried about getting busted for speeding. _
Once was outside Rod Laver Arena. Porsche was pulled up for rbt. Unregistered car. So he rang his wife, she turned up in unregistered bmw. No wonder they are rich!!!
VilkasBAMIIXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post