Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
vinno
Starter Motor

Default AU3 XR8 high beam headlight bulb

I've just changed my low beam with a H4 dual filament Philips Crystal Vision, and then tried everything to realise that my RH high beam (inner) headlight is not working. I don't think it's got anything to do with the installation of the H4 bulbs. Anyway, the manual says that the high beam is H1, but correct me if I'm wrong, the high beam bulb looks like a whole sealed unit that has a plug at the back, and I can't see how a bulb gets into it?? Has anyone changed their high beam (inners) and how did you do it? I dont' know if my high beams are standard? Other photos of XR8's on the forum have outer and inner headlights that look similar from the outside, but mine don't- it almost looks like a driving light (see photo). I have got an AU3 XR8. Thanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RH high beam.jpg (66.7 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by vinno; 02-09-2011 at 10:10 PM.
vinno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: AU3 XR8 high beam headlight bulb

Thats not a standard headlight, i reckon one has been broken at some stage and has been replaced with whatever youve got in there.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinno
Has anyone changed their high beam (inners) and how did you do it? I dont' know if my high beams are standard?
That one is not standard. It's looks like a 150W sealed beam driving light.

I've converted both inners and outers on my xr front and have used the same (or similar) inners as you have there.

I was always planning on writing up a "how to" but never got around to it. I'll try and dig up the pics I took.

In any event you'll have to remove the front bar to get at them. The driving lights sell on ebay for around $60 per pair.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
vinno
Starter Motor

That would be great thanks! I bought the car as is, so wasn't sure if it was standard or not- hence the specs in the manual had me confused! Isn't it a nono to use 150W bulbs when H1 55W were recommended? If you could tell me what the name of the driving lights were, that would be awesome- oh and the pics! Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Here's a pic of my aftermarket lights. High beam is the same as yours

This is where I got the high beams

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEADLIGHT...item45ed82450e

I'll dig some more pics of how I did it and post back in the next day or so.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
vinno
Starter Motor

I took a picture of the back of the high beam spot light, as you can see it's not your usual connection. Really hating the thought of taking off the front bar again.. that damn bolt underneath the front arch is a hassle!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3674.jpg (111.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
ronwest

Looks like there's a relay in there.

I made a new harness with heavier cable and had the new voltage relay up in the engine bay. I've got a pic of it with the rest of them.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
vinno
Starter Motor

That would be great- relays and wiring looms are way over my head. I was looking for a simple plug and play spot light hopefully. Thanks for the ebay link, I've emailed the guy and will wait for him to reply.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
ronwest

The existing wiring may well be good enough. It's obviously been running as is. Is the other hi beam converted to driving light as well?

I changed my Ghia front bar and headlights to XR so as I had to play around with the headlight connectors it was no big deal to make a new loom from scratch.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
vinno
Starter Motor

Yeh the other LH inner high beam is converted to driving light also. I guess my main problem is trying to change the bulb from the headlight assembly. I heard the retaining clips are pretty fragile! While the front bar is off, it will probably be best to change both sides (so I don't get a mismatch in colour), but I'll decide that when it's off. Any tips on the fragile retaining clips?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
ronwest

Retaining clips for the globe?

Not fragile as such. Finicky to get off if you haven't done it before. No problem with the front bar off as you can see what you are doing.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #12
ronwest

Here's a quick peek at how I swapped factory to aftermarket headlights. Both high and low were done the same way.

Remove front bar. Remove headlight(s) from frame. Remove lens (I used a 1/2 socket extension through the rear and just tapped it off). Cut a hole big enough for the electrical connectors in the rear of the old light

A nice thick bead of silicon top and bottom

Press new sealed beam into old body. Let dry overnight. Cut off excess silicon. Reinstall headlight into headlight frame. Adjust beam.

Install front bar. Voila, a great set of headlights
Old 07-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
vinno
Starter Motor

Wow good write up, thanks. I'll have to take things down this weekend to have a look. Thought I might pick up a set of spotties at Repco cos I can't wait!