Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2005, 05:39 PM   #31
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSBR04
I recently bought a 2005 Toyota Camry Sportivo - VVTI 4cyl Manual. It goes like a rocket, handles well and is great on fuel. I got an ex-Demo with only 2,500km on the clock. It had the tinted windows, bonnet protector and I got them to throw in a tow-bar. Got it all for $28K drive away (they also paid the transfer costs).
Damn dude... :gren: a 4 cylinder Camry? Goes like a pocket rocket running on coke fizz, handles like a fridge rolling down a hill and is as efficient as a Falcon 6-speed with twice the engine size almost and a few hundred kegs heavier... If it's an auto it averages 9.8L / 100km which is only 0.3 L / 100km behind a Falcon XR6 with a 6-speed auto, that's hardly fuel efficient for a 4 cylinder. I'm glad you like it, it's your car, your opinion and I have my own car and my own opinion so I'm not trying to diss you for your decision, just not entirely supportive of your mini-review of the 4 cylinder Camry... You'd be careful saying that around anyone who worked for Wheels Magazine for example for fear of being declared clinically insane.

But back on topic, what motivated you to buy the Yaris/Echo/Corolla over the equivalent Ford/Holden model? I'm asking a genuine quiestion, it fascinates me why people are motivated for different reasons and I'm really interested to know because what's clear as day for one person is completely opposite for the other. Considering the Fiesta is the best car in the small car class and the Focus is up the top of it's class, I'm interested why you chose a new Corolla or Echo.Yaris over these, let alone things like the Mazda 3, Mazda 2 or even the Getz.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #32
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

Well, To paint the picture so to speak.

I do around 700k's a week travelling to work etc..

I have a EB2 S pac.. It is coming off the road soon to be cleaned up and boosted. So I wanted a second car.

Originally I was looking at a NF NL DF DL fairlane/LTD V8 but then I thought why have a second car which will be just as bad on fuel so I statrted looking at 4 bangers at around the 10g mark.
Then dad suggested a Getz
So I brought my budget up to 14-15k
So I went down to hyandai for a quote.
To be quite honest the car salesman turned me off it, he was rude and arrigant(sp) admittedly im only 20 and probably thought I was a time waister, but still.
So on my way home I called in to Toyota to look at the Echo/YARiS and the salesman was so much nicer, chatting to me instantly offered me a test drive etc.. Got a Quote liked the car. Once again the budget went up another grand or so..

Then started thinking "well the fiesta zetec is only a couple of grand more" but it would of brought me to double my original budget and it doesnt matter what you get, the next "better" car is only a couple of grand away so I would be chasing my tail constantly and end up with a T or something lol

And out of the 'light' cars I like the YARiS best, nicer interior and nicer styling all round compared to the getz IMO.
I also feel that Toyota is a better built car IMO

So thats the reason I didnt get another similar car..

Toby

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #33
RapidTypLady
RapidTypLady

Well Toby

All I can say is I hope you are really happy with it. Also it will be a brand new car so I know you will just love it.

Your ears will be hurting major big time once you Tobilise it. That will be very impressive.

Dont worry time will run by and you will be on the road with your new toy. lol. :

MODS SO FAR

Herrod Zorst, Herrod BOV, Herrod Suresix, Herrod Lowered Springs,
BMC Hi-Flow Filter,

Xtreme High flow cat, Xtreme 4"
dump pipe, Xtreme Ceramic Clutch, Bigger Injectors, Xtreme Edit & Tune

300+rwkw :
RapidTypLady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 06:16 PM   #34
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

If i was going to buy a little 4 banger buzzbox it would probably be an echo for toyota reliability too OR the getz for cheap as motoring....echo's have a pretty good resale actually.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 07:02 PM   #35
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby123
Well, To paint the picture so to speak.

I do around 700k's a week travelling to work etc..

I have a EB2 S pac.. It is coming off the road soon to be cleaned up and boosted. So I wanted a second car.

Originally I was looking at a NF NL DF DL fairlane/LTD V8 but then I thought why have a second car which will be just as bad on fuel so I statrted looking at 4 bangers at around the 10g mark.
Then dad suggested a Getz
So I brought my budget up to 14-15k
So I went down to hyandai for a quote.
To be quite honest the car salesman turned me off it, he was rude and arrigant(sp) admittedly im only 20 and probably thought I was a time waister, but still.
So on my way home I called in to Toyota to look at the Echo/YARiS and the salesman was so much nicer, chatting to me instantly offered me a test drive etc.. Got a Quote liked the car. Once again the budget went up another grand or so..

Then started thinking "well the fiesta zetec is only a couple of grand more" but it would of brought me to double my original budget and it doesnt matter what you get, the next "better" car is only a couple of grand away so I would be chasing my tail constantly and end up with a T or something lol

And out of the 'light' cars I like the YARiS best, nicer interior and nicer styling all round compared to the getz IMO.
I also feel that Toyota is a better built car IMO

So thats the reason I didnt get another similar car..

Toby
Awesome, that's really cool. I hope you really enjoy the car, I don't doubt it's probably a solid little thing, don't know much about it but best of luck and I hope you enjoy every second of it!

Out of interest, did you price up a Fiesta at a Dealer just to confirm it would be $2k more expensive? I'm guessing you got a base model, which for the Yaris is $14,990 plus onroads as a manual 3 door. A base Fiesta is $15,490 3 door with air/manual making it $500 dearer. That's before the $1000 bonus plus other deals on the Fiesta, plus the 1.6l engine and suddenly it's not so expensive.... You'd be looking realistically at around $16,500 drive away or even better. Of course I'm assuming you didn't get auto, which tips it in the Yaris' favour because it's $3k option on the Fiesta. Anyhoo, that's ancient history!! Congrats on the purchase and many happy years of driving!
Old 09-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #36
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

are you really going to cannon exhaust a yaris???!!!!
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2005, 11:38 AM   #37
MikGan

Dont wanna be a pain in the ****, but what do u guys recon about the new focus, say against a yaris, or a festiva?

Ive driven all of em and I thought the yaris had awful road noise and the festiva was a little too girly bubble shape for me to have in the drive, its for the misses, but a bloke has to be prowd of his drive! lol.

But really, how would u approach a sale for a new focus when everwhere advertises the same prices, and no one seems keen to budge on anything! grrr.
MikGan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #38
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikGan
Dont wanna be a pain in the ****, but what do u guys recon about the new focus, say against a yaris, or a festiva?

Ive driven all of em and I thought the yaris had awful road noise and the festiva was a little too girly bubble shape for me to have in the drive, its for the misses, but a bloke has to be prowd of his drive! lol.

But really, how would u approach a sale for a new focus when everwhere advertises the same prices, and no one seems keen to budge on anything! grrr.
Try a car broker See what they have to say about the price, and then approach the sales rep.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #39
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
are you really going to cannon exhaust a yaris???!!!!
Maybe just a small one... :Reverend: for a laugh... :

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 10:03 AM   #40
MikGan

well gave cheapernewcars.com.au (or whatever it is) a shot and they referred my enquiry onto a local ford dealer, and he was the first to give any inclinig that there was room to move on the price, going down there later today to check it all out
MikGan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #41
Tripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikGan

It's a FIESTA, not a Festiva! And I think it's the best looking small car on sale at the moment, not bubbly looking at all. A run-out model Fiesta LX 3 door with Air should set you back about $15000 on the road after the $1000 cash back offer. But if you think the Yaris has some road noise, the Fiesta might disappoint you also.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post