Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Harbour Bridge variable tolls 'to stay'

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226224618091

THE NSW Government says variable tolls on Sydney's Harbour Bridge and Tunnel won't change, despite it having no effect on traffic congestion.
In 2008 then Treasurer Eric Roozendal announced tolls on the bridge and tunnel would rise from $3 to $4 during peak periods in an effort to ease congestion.

In July this year, Roads Minister Duncan Gay described the tolls as "unfair" as it penalised drivers from the north.

Mr Gay said he had asked the RTA to look at the system.

However the minister has now conceded that the tolls would stay because they generated more than $5 million in revenue per year.

"The net present value of lost revenue to the Government from removing time-of-day tolling and reverting to a $3 toll is estimated to be $28.4 million over the next five years," Mr Gay told The Daily Telegraph.

"Due to the costs involved I have no plans to remove time-of-day tolling from the Sydney Harbour Bridge or Tunnel."

This was despite Mr Gay providing new data which showed the time-of-day tolling had not improved traffic flow on the major thoroughfares, with the number of peak-hour crossings falling just 0.19 per cent between 2008 and 2010.

The variable tolls have seen motorists using the harbour crossings between 6.30am and 9.30am and 4pm and 7pm weekdays pay an increased toll of $4.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

let me get this right.

they brought in higher tolls to ease congestion.

it did'nt work.

rather then scrap the toll that was proven not to work they keep it on because it steals money from the pocket of motorists.

obviously, as i have noted before, the government and any other government we vote in wants to steal your money.

is the legal recourse for motorists for this?

ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Harbour Bridge variable tolls 'to stay'

Quote:
is the legal recourse for motorists for this?
For what? not sure what you mean by this as no laws have been broken have they?

Quote:
obviously, as i have noted before, the government and any other government we vote in wants to steal your money.
correct 100%... it wont matter who you vote in and what they promise beforehand. People who keep this belief that the ballot box makes a difference is living in laa laa land.... it is an illusion that we have "democracy".

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

toll.. or realy a different name for TAX! bridge is allready payed off!!! so why the need for a toll still? oops i meant TAX now!! Was $3 toll/TAX now with added $1 to round up to a $4 TAX- Oops i meant toll. All while admitting the extra Dollar TAX did not do a thing for congestion. Rather that empty peoples wallets faster.
Funny how the toll tarhets the "Northern side ricjh people while us Westies along the M4 have had the Toll taken away.. -YAY!
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Yeah, I think the $1 extra to ease congestion was a load of old bollocks in order to justify an increase. If you're commuting into the city from the north, is $1 going to make you rethink your mode of transportation or your route? Of course not.

That $1 adds up in the government's coffers though.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I must be old....
I remember when the bridge toll was raised from 20c to 40c !
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post