Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-11-2005, 01:09 AM   #1
the lane

Default Warming the motor

Do you warm your motor up every time before driving off ? and if so for how long ? I ask this as a matter of intrest as I was told, as long as you don't go over 2000 rpm the motor dosen't require pre warming.What do you think ?

Old 13-11-2005, 01:23 AM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
There is already a large thread on this, the FPV section i think ? a search should find it.

cheers
Old 13-11-2005, 01:40 AM   #3
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

yer i warm the car up for like 2 - 3 mins....
unless im late for work

XLS Falcon Ute
Full Sick 2.5 Inch -> To Double 3 Inch Tips Exhaust Sports System
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims
Altezza Tail Bling Bling Lights
Kenwood Head Deck + Amps + Bling Bling Sub
Bright Orange BLING BLING Fordforums.com Sticker

OOoooohh Yeah! Bling Bling
Old 13-11-2005, 05:20 AM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

I warm the car up for a few minutes. If I don't have time, I drive with about 5% throttle until it gets to operating temperature.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 13-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #5
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I warm up the GT but not the AU. The GT starts at 2000rpm basically so it needs warming. The AU I dont worry about.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 13-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I warm it up for a few minutes, mainly because I live 300m from the a 100kmh highway which I use every day. So its a bit of a necessity, I dont feel liking belting along the highway with a cold motor. I always try to take it easy for the first 5 min with any car im in to get the oil up to temp.

It is my belief though that good quality oil at a relatively light weight is probably more important for the motor however.

*In fact with my car, it get's quite insane when cold, it idles at 1900rpm and wont shift into 4th for the first 90sec or so.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 13-11-2005, 10:34 AM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

There ia another thread on this topic :
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=16882
Old 13-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #8
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I no longer warm up engines while standing. It's always done by driving off slowly (but not one of those "holding up traffic" iceholes) until the engine feels ok, temp gauge is where it should be and by then the diff/gearbox will be close to right temp.

If, as one post said, I lived near h/way then I would have to do a partial warmup before running at h/way speeds.

With my race motors, they had to be warmed up in the pits, especially the methanol ones. I personally believe methanol is very hard on cold engines even though I had no troubles with scoring cylinders or marking bearings.
It was done on jack stands with the trans operated in all forward gears and reverse and sometimes was idled through pits to staging lanes to help warmup.

The oil is only a tiny part of the problem.

The clearances for all the mechanical parts need to be right and they only come right when the motor/drivetrain is at temperature.

Idling engines for very long periods of time causes destructive cylinder glazing. There's no argument with that.

It's then stands to reason that idling for shorter periods will have the same effect but will take longer to do damage.

No group of people will ever agree on this whole issue. But whatever you do a common sense approach is needed.

I personally like the "immediate light load on cylinder walls" method the most.

Cheers
Old 13-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #9
crannersEL
Banned

As others have mentioned, it depends on the time and whether i am late or not. I do usually warn the car up for about 2 mins or so.
Old 13-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #10
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

please refer link to other thread!
Closed Thread