Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Default How to replace Lower Ball Joints?

Hey guys,

Whats involved in replacing lower ball joints myself???

I know they need to be pressed in, but is there anyway i can do it myself or at least do the rest & get someone else to press them in. I would have a look through my workshop manual but I cant find it (have recently moved a couple of times and its been lost).

Reason I ask is that ford want $65ea for the ball joints then $145 each side to fit them, and I can think of better ways to spend $420. I just did a quick search on ebay and can buy them for $35odd a pair shipped to my door.

Does anyone have a how to guide on replacing them???

Cheers

Col.

TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pull the assembly out, and take it to a suspension place. I think the cost mostly comes from disassemble and reassembly, afaik its not to difficult to do if youve got a press.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah assembly and disasembly is the $$ plus getting them pressed out.. should cost no more than $100 depends how nice the suspension shop owner is
Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
MYT
Cruizn in my 'lane

it shouldn't cost much more than $300 if you get both sides done at most mechanics or suspension places including parts
MYT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by autickfordfairmont
Hey guys,

Whats involved in replacing lower ball joints myself???

I know they need to be pressed in, but is there anyway i can do it myself or at least do the rest & get someone else to press them in. I would have a look through my workshop manual but I cant find it (have recently moved a couple of times and its been lost).

Reason I ask is that ford want $65ea for the ball joints then $145 each side to fit them, and I can think of better ways to spend $420. I just did a quick search on ebay and can buy them for $35odd a pair shipped to my door.

Does anyone have a how to guide on replacing them???

Cheers

Col.
I made a tool ages ago to do them in situ , easiest for you though is pull the arm and find a an engineering shop with a press who will charge maybe $60 to 80 a pair , new ones run $50.00 max if you shop around and make sure it has a grease point .( which you should use every few months )
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can buy exchange arms from pedders with new ball joints fitted to them just swap em over nice and easy. i think nolathane might do them as well..
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Well I got them all sorted. Got Upper & lower ball joints complete set for $66 shipped to my door. Ripped it all out and remembered a mate who works in a workshop with a press. Took them in, carton of beer for his trouble and bobs your aunty. Was a mission getting the spindle off the lower ball joint and un-doing a couple of the bolts (No air tools, all done by hand). Not to mention I seemed to have every size socket & ring spanner except for the ones I needed. So was a couple of trips down to autobarn & then bunning when (they open earlier & stay open later).

All up got out of it for around $100. Much better than the $420 odd ford wanted or the $340 that pedders wanted just for the lower ball joints (Uppers aswell was more again). Chucked in the new nolathane sway bar D bushes while I was at it cause the old ones were well and truly .....ed, so no more knock & thump from the front end.
While it was all apart I cleaned up the front rotors (hub section) and gave them a paint to get rid of that brown rust look between the mags & painted the front callipers aswell as a few other bits and pieces so its all a bit tidier under there.

Only trouble now is I have discovered a bad oil leak coming from above / next to / behind the alternator & water pump. Kind of hard to tell with oil everywhere where exactly the source is. Oh and a small coolant leak from the left hand side of the radiator, but it may be just a loose clamp.

Cheers

Col.
Old 23-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autickfordfairmont

Only trouble now is I have discovered a bad oil leak coming from above / next to / behind the alternator & water pump. Kind of hard to tell with oil everywhere where exactly the source is. Oh and a small coolant leak from the left hand side of the radiator, but it may be just a loose clamp.

Cheers

Col.
Have a look around this here sounds the same as my sons : If it is loose you can just tighten it with out removing it completly

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11248372

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

cheers mate. Looks to be where its coming from, although hard to tell as there is oil everywhere at the moment. I will check it out.

Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
Day-mow
rexnet

Default Re: How to replace Lower Ball Joints?

yeah thread mining but am i correct in reading i can take out the lower control arm and just press out the ball joints? if this is the case im stoked!!! work has a press and i'll just carry on.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
yeah thread mining but am i correct in reading i can take out the lower control arm and just press out the ball joints? if this is the case im stoked!!! work has a press and i'll just carry on.
Yes you can, a bench press will work wonders. I dont have one, so ill rather pay the dollars for someone else to swear & curse getting them in & out
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Yes you can, a bench press will work wonders. I dont have one, so ill rather pay the dollars for someone else to swear & curse getting them in & out
we have a sweet as press @ work, i guess we should seeing as i work in a heavy vehicle/ earth moving workshop.
wont change the latter half though.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post