Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #31
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Default Re: USS Iowa heads to LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Goddamn it I hate that stupid old wives tale. There is no way the recoil even from all of the 16in guns firing at once (which is not possible anymore following the 1980's modernisation) is capable of moving a 45,000 ton ship sideways.

The main guns have got recoil cylinders built into them anyway so the whole story is complete B.S.

Anyway, here's that pic I promised. I was wrong, it wasn't Wisconsin and Missouri, it appears to be New Jersey and possibly Missouri. Ship-spotters will also note the long-gone nuclear powered cruiser USS Long Beach astern.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Great shot! And the Long Beach is really hard to miss
Old 31-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #32
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went on the USS Midway in San Diego..awesome aircraft carrier!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #33
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went on the USS Intrepid in New York last year. Absolutely fascinating if you're ever there. They also have one of the Concorde airplanes there and a submarine which name escapes me.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #34
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd definitely be interested in going and seeing the USS Iowa if I get to go over there again! It absolutely fascinating seeing all this history in these warships.
If you're in San Francisco, then there is also the submarine USS Pampanito to see as well.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #35
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

Having been on Iowa's sister, Missouri, they are nothing short of unbelievable achievements in engineering...

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #36
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker
Fantastic. I wish Australia would preserve more of its naval history.
We have.. The mighty Castlemaine!
http://www.hmascastlemaine.org.au/
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now that's a thick piece of steel where that door is...

I remember seeing a special on those ships that said you couldn't feasibly build one today, not because we can't build ships that big, but because you need to set up a steel making infrastructure that can roll and cast steel plates up to three feet thick. Ice breakers have thick steel hulls, but that's usually only at the nose where they hammer through the ice (I believe the record was a "cap" on the front a nuke powered ice breaker that was nine feet thick... ).
Not only would it cost tens of billions in todays money, but steel plants aren't set up to do that any more like they were in wartime.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

great pics , not really a buff , but i like looking at the engineering and looking at the amazing numbers involved with some of these ships, for example the speed capability of some of these floating citys 30+ knots 60 kph, that is just truly amazing.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #39
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Now that's a thick piece of steel where that door is...

I remember seeing a special on those ships that said you couldn't feasibly build one today, not because we can't build ships that big, but because you need to set up a steel making infrastructure that can roll and cast steel plates up to three feet thick. Ice breakers have thick steel hulls, but that's usually only at the nose where they hammer through the ice (I believe the record was a "cap" on the front a nuke powered ice breaker that was nine feet thick... ).
Not only would it cost tens of billions in todays money, but steel plants aren't set up to do that any more like they were in wartime.
That's the Citadel, the steering, throttle and gunnery can be controlled and coordinated from that room in the event the ship is embroiled in a full scale gun battle with another battleship as the 'soft' parts of the ship (the bridge for starters) are usually targeted and blown away first.

The capacity to make armour that thick still exists, it would simply be laminated, modern supercarriers have thick armour plating in their flight and hangar decks. The advances in mettalurgy and armour design with different materials means that, like the development of Abrams and Challenger II tanks, they don't need swathes of thick metal armour to do the same job as their forebears needed in the face of weapons these days that are arguably just as potent of not moreso than a standard AP or HC shell these ships used.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 04-06-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #40
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Beautiful ships, still just about the best conventional stand-off weapon, and the origin of the term "gunboat diplomacy"...you park your battleship or dreadnaught (much cooler name than battleship) off the coast and start negotiating with the government, casually throwing in a comment like "by the way...have you looked out your window...?"

Also, you can sit over the horizon and comfortably lob 16 inch shells at your target.

They're amazing ships, that get mothballed every decade or so, before being dragged out and refitted when they realise you can't really replace them with any other modern ship, even ignoring the fact you simply couldn't build more today...imagine how many tens of billions it would take to build something like a WW2 design battleship?

Yeah totally agree. I got to see Missouri in Fremantle in 1991 after it's Desert Storm (??) deployment, the only battleship I've ever seen. I wish the British had kept Warspite or a KGV as well (unfortunately they were bankrupt), so kudos to the Americans for keeping so many as museum ships.

Also agree with the frustration that you can't build any 1:350 Aussie (or British) cruisers in plastic: no Perth, no Sydney, no Canberra or Australia, no Exeter or York, no Ajax/Achillies - the stuff they went through...

As for Warspite:

"I think you will find that amongst warship enthusiasts all over the world the battleship is king and HMS Warspite is the king of kings due to the service this ship gave. From Jutland to the battle of Calabria, the battle of Cape Matapan, the Normandy landings. This is not a cruiser, it is a big gun super dreadnought. It is HMS Warspite. The ship that refused to die. It suffered damage from bombs, mines, shell fire and in the end it defied the scrapper man and took it's own life on the coast of Cornwall.

Yes, many other ships served well and gave good service, it is just that Warspite is special."

She was left with a jammed rudder at Jutland, alone, with the entire van of the High Seas Fleet firing on her and absorbed many hits, managed to correct the steering, continued firing back, and made her escape.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #41
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Visited USS Wisconsin ( BB64 ) in Norfolk a few years back . So good to see the seppos value their naval heritage unlike us who cant turn ours into razor blades fast enough .
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #42
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

I should visit the Bar more often. So much great reading here. One of my goals in life was to go to Pearl Harbour and I managed to get there in 2010, then the Pacific War Museum, Fredericksburg and Interpid, NYC last year. Next will be Yamato museum, Kure and the Yasukuni Shrine, Tokyo.

My favourite BB is the Yamato Class. What an awesome ship, 18" main battery, the mystique surrounding it and the achievement to get it built still astonishes. I wish one of them was saved. I had a 1:350 scale model 90% finished with a detail kit ready to apply... then we bought a kitten. I'll repair and finish it one day.

Fav US ship though was the Lexington Class Carriers more so for their smooth lines, long flight deck, funnel shape and the fact they were the first serious carriers to be built and still look pretty.

Last edited by Stugots; 06-06-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #43
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
I should visit the Bar more often. So much great reading here. One of my goals in life was to go to Pearl Harbour and I managed to get there in 2010, then the Pacific War Museum, Fredericksburg and Interpid, NYC last year. Next will be Yamato museum, Kure and the Yasukuni Shrine, Tokyo.

My favourite BB is the Yamato Class. What an awesome ship, 18" main battery, the mystique surrounding it and the achievement to get it built still astonishes. I wish one of them was saved. I had a 1:350 scale model 90% finished with a detail kit ready to apply... then we bought a kitten. I'll repair and finish it one day.

Fav US ship though was the Lexington Class Carriers more so for their smooth lines, long flight deck, funnel shape and the fact they were the first serious carriers to be built and still look pretty.

I'm currently building the Musashi in 1:350. Such amazing ships.

My build as it is at the moment.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #44
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

Yes Lexington and Saratoga were purdy. I liked them as well, more for the extra kick-*** factor of having 8 inch cruiser gun turrets fitted to them

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #45
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
I'm currently building the Musashi in 1:350. Such amazing ships.

My build as it is at the moment.

Looking good. See you've got all the smaller deck guns in. The Tamiya kits are the best. Did your kit come with the RC capable Hull?

Last photos of my ship before the cat chewed up the mast & superstructure.

Last edited by Stugots; 08-06-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #46
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Yes Lexington and Saratoga were purdy. I liked them as well, more for the extra kick-*** factor of having 8 inch cruiser gun turrets fitted to them
For sure, badass surface firepower for a CV
Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #47
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Looking good. See you've got all the smaller deck guns in. The Tamiya kits are the best. Did your kit come with the RC capable Hull?

Last photos of my ship before the cat chewed up the mast & superstructure.

Yup sure did, I'm getting a ultimate detail kit which will finish it nicely. I'd do a wooden deck but I have already stuck stuff down.

I have a 1:350 Tirpitz and Prinz Eugen as well as a 1:400 USS Enterprise to build next.

Yours looked good hope it's salvageable, I'm not finishing mine till I get a display case!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #48
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
Yup sure did, I'm getting a ultimate detail kit which will finish it nicely. I'd do a wooden deck but I have already stuck stuff down.

I have a 1:350 Tirpitz and Prinz Eugen as well as a 1:400 USS Enterprise to build next.

Yours looked good hope it's salvageable, I'm not finishing mine till I get a display case!
its hard to go past the stick on wooden decks, they are the goods.

Love your axis badboy collection. Enjoy building the enterprise (CV-6 hopefully), it had different stages of fit out to consider.
Old 16-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #49
Troll
Starter Motor

Quote:

Visited the Yamato Museum in Kure pretty amazing they have a 1:10 scale model of the Yamato.

I agree about the psychological presence of an Iowa class. I've tried to sleep with a 5 inch going off I couldn't imagine a 16 inch. I wonder if the US again has any plans for a large surface ship now that the Russians are bringing their Kirov Class back into service all the yanks have done so far is axe the Cruiser replacement project and the new Zumwalt class destroyer.
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #50
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll
Visited the Yamato Museum in Kure pretty amazing they have a 1:10 scale model of the Yamato.

I agree about the psychological presence of an Iowa class. I've tried to sleep with a 5 inch going off I couldn't imagine a 16 inch. I wonder if the US again has any plans for a large surface ship now that the Russians are bringing their Kirov Class back into service all the yanks have done so far is axe the Cruiser replacement project and the new Zumwalt class destroyer.
At the way they're going, their next captial ship will be USS Obama rigid inflatable.
Old 17-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #51
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

HMAS Diamantina is worth a look if you are in Brisbane.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post