Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #1
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Default Rain, storms and malfunctioning cars...

My car gave me the s last night. In case you don’t know, a fairly hefty storm hit SE Queensland last night. I was in it.

I decided, against my better judgement, to drive to Mt Tambourine in the Gold Coast hinterland to deliver a stove that I recently sold on eBay. The poor bloke had no way to pick it up from me, so provided he gave me some petrol money I said I’d be happy to take a drive up there. Guess I picked the wrong night.

Bombing down the M1, I kept thinking “please don’t hail, please don’t hail”. Should my car cop the might of a hailstorm… well, it just doesn’t bear thinking about. But I continued.

My next piece of frustration was climbing up the mountain. I could’ve walked up there faster, not because I was stuck behind a road train up a 12% incline, but because Wags was screaming in second at 45km/h, unable to go faster. I cursed. Such pathetic power. I felt embarrassed.

Over to my right I could see out of my open window that the storm was rolling in rapidly. Menacing black clouds high up, and green soup floating over the rolling hills. It spelled hail. I’ve never been trapped in a serious hailstorm, and I honestly thought that this was it. I’d have to buy new guards, a new bonnet and fill the roof with bog before a respray. Not happy. I should’ve listened to my wife who called me minutes before I left home saying “I’ve just checked BOM, and there’s a huge storm coming over – red bits everywhere… are you still going?”. But I had gone past the point of no return.

Once I’d reached the top of the mountain, I made an attempt to find this bloke’s home. Then it started raining. Properly. I turned down the right road, and I could barely see 3 feet in front of the windscreen, let alone beyond my bonnet. But still, I persevered. The bitumen road was windy and narrow, but I knew I was on the right track. I also knew that this guy’s house was at the end of the road. Bitumen suddenly became loose grading. And it happened.

There was a huge scraping sound, and the car jolted. I had inadvertently turned down a dirt track, with pretty big berms. Oh, ****. So I shoved it in reverse and tried to back out, using the ramp of an upcoming berm as a small run-up. Furious wheelspin ensued, and all I succeeded in doing was sliding sideways towards some trees and a large drop. I put the handbrake on, turned the car off, and pondered. Then I went out to have a look at what the ground looked like – it was a river of mud. I was soaked. I ran back into the car and checked my mobile reception – big fat nothing. More swearing.

I honestly thought that I was going to spend the night out there in the middle of the woods. Lightning was striking around me and the rain was coming down in sheets. So I drove down a track a little further, bumping and scraping the underside of the car until I found a place wide enough to turn around in. It was the quickest and most slippery 5-point turn I have ever executed. I powered back up the hill over the berms with first gear howling in protest and the underside of my car banging against the ground. Not fun.

So I drove back up to the roundabout at the top of the hill and waited. When the rain had calmed down (after I noted a leak near the accelerator pedal… grrr…), I called the bloke I was trying to find. He drove out to meet me and we went to his house, which turned out to be right next to the road I almost met my maker on. Of course, the last time I was down there I couldn’t see the gate to the house… hell, Ronald McDonald could’ve been sitting on my bonnet bashing The Hamburgler with a hot apple pie and I wouldn’t been able to see him doing it.

So I pulled the stove out of the back of my car and got some money in return. We shook hands, and parted company. The rain had calmed down a bit, so I made my way back down the mountain. Lights on, wipers on, demister on, radio on… and every time I pressed the brake pedal, the bloody alternator light came on! Great – I’d survived this far but would now be stranded a hundred kilometres from home in the rain with a busted alternator. Wonderful.

I continued. At the bottom of the mountain, I was waiting at a set of lights to turn back onto the M1, and the car died. Hmm… I started her up again, and all was well for a few seconds. Then it idled a little low, and died again. Thank God for manual chokes – I pulled it back a bit, cranked her over and was fine. Pulling away from the lights, the clutch pedal took a while to bite, and I hopped like a rabid kangaroo all the way through first gear… clearly, my clutch plate wasn’t happy either. Probably 10 years old, so hardly surprising. But I didn’t want it to kick the bucket right now.

The rest of the journey was uneventful – the wipers sped up a bit once the engine got some revs, and I made it home. This morning, the car smelt a bit wet inside (sure enough, the carpet is damp), the car stalls at idle intermittently and the clutch is clearly on the way out… not a peep from the ALT light, though.

The only saving grace of the whole trip was filling up at a servo near home, where the bloke in the Camry in front of me started up one of those “I had one of them once” conversations. After complimenting me on the excellent condition of my car, he asked if it was a six or an eight. I told him it was a six and we both shrugged. But I commented that it was going to get a fresh 351 very soon. We smiled, and I meant it. Work starts next weekend for the transplant.

And I’ll never deliver a stove ever again.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Lol, what a great story. Well, OK - it sounds like the night sucked but the story itself was a great read.

Good to see you have a sensor of humour about these things. Definately a series of minties moments.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving in the down pour conditions is no fun at the best of times and you seemed to cop it all once, a great read, and I'm sure the next time round the 351 will get you up the hill a lot quicker.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I've often thought you needed to buy an FJ40 Land Cruiser instead of an XC Wagon... This proves my point...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
gozza

man hailstorms are a pain to drive in
i got cuaght in one in my beloved eb..i swear i was rdy to kill myself...i got hammered for like 15 mins and every second it would get heavier which resulted in more frustration....i was sideways most of the way home at only 10kph...i could only laugh tho because it was so depression lol....i got home and everything was fine excpet if you look at my hood on an angle in the sun you can see little diples everywhere

lucky your all good
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
I've often thought you needed to buy an FJ40 Land Cruiser instead of an XC Wagon... This proves my point...
...or an F100. Roads, trees, mud....it means nothing. An F100 will drive over and through, as it should.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #7
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

What a TOP read Neeek!!!!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 03:51 PM   #8
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

So when are you releasing your first novel???
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have to say, totally enjoyed reading what you wrote....

Glad that it turned out all ok for you though...next time your wife rings with that sort of message - LISTEN TO HER!!!!! too far is never actually to far to return (or at least sit things out for an hour or so)...
:
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #10
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
So when are you releasing your first novel???
As soon as I master the art of writing more than about 1,000 words at a time!

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #11
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
As soon as I master the art of writing more than about 1,000 words at a time!
Maybe go with 10 short stories in one style novels? Your stories do tend to be a good read!

I think that poor 250 will be glad the conversion is nearing with the above treatment
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 07:36 PM   #12
rodderz

10 out of 10 for that little story!

The things we do nowadays, even for ebay

I know a particular someone off here who's driving to Port Fairy from Melbourne (roughly 4.5-5 hr drive?) just to pick up a diff centre from ebay this weekend!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post