Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-12-2005, 02:26 AM   #1
Deanodriver

Default Platform sharing - Ford Aus + Jaguar, possible?

I was thinking earlier on, about how Ford is bringing a new Falcon to market in a couple of years, and I've heard that Jaguar is releasing a new S type around the same time, is there any chance that these two cars could be related? With Ford's recent history of platform sharing among Ford-owned brands (think Focus/V40/Mazda3 and Mondeo/X-Type), there's always a chance.

I mean, they're both rear drive sedans that are about the same size, it could always be possible. If that's the case, I'm sure the Falcon would be able to benefit (from Jaguar's experience with making cars made of aluminium, for example).

Just food for thought.

Deanodriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I was under the impression that the Jaguar used a Lincoln platorm of some sort, as for a new falcon using a derivative platorm, i dont now but its always a possibility i suppose.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The S type and Lincoln LS both used the DEW98 platform, but its not viable for Ford as its extremely expensive, with lots of aluminium in the suspension etc. A modified version of the current platform will most likely be used for the 2008 Falcon.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 01:34 AM   #4
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I would imagine a blend of Falcon and territory suspension designs in the new car. I would also imagine some aluminium/alloy use in the suspension as well. Such as alloy upper wishbones, highstrength yet lighter blade bar etc.

IMHO Falcons should have steel body and chassis. Aluminium is all well and good, but its massively expensive to upgrade to and use, and to repair. And there are plenty of aluminium cars that still weigh 1800kg.

Personally if I was running jaguar I would be looking at the falcon platform long and hard to find a way to cut costs, increase margins and improve product. For all its extra expense and R&D, Jaguars products are no better dynamically than our falcon.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I agree, Jaguar haven't really made a dent in the luxury car market when compared to say BMW, Audi or Merc. The cars are as expensive as the aforementioned three however they do not contain the same level of sophistication or elegance as the BMW Merc or Audi. Personally I think they should look at adopting the cheaper Falcon Chassis and that way offer a 5-10% discount on their cars whilst still maintaining their margins and profitability.

Quote: