Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
mattbl

Angry Electrical gremlins

I posted up a thread a couple of weeks ago about my cruise control, I thought I fixed it but its still not working. Since then things seem to be getting worse. When it first stopped working I hadn't done anything to the car prior so its not as if I pulled something apart and didn't put it back together properly.

Here is a recap:
The cruise would turn on 'cruise on' but it doesn't set.
I have checked the brake lights, brake switch, brake pressure switch, fuses and the cruise cable that goes to the throttle body.

All that seemed ok so I replaced the switches on the steering wheel and that didn't fix it. I then changed the cruise module and no good there either. I first thought that the gearing had broken inside the module but no, thats the way its meant to be as I opened up the units to compare them.

Next was the clock spring. I found that the clock spring would go 'open' intermittantly (using a multi meter as a continuity test) when the steering wheel was being turned to full lock. I pulled it out and put it back in and it worked once but hasn't worked since so I replaced it with a brand new one. Fitted the new one and not only did the cruise not work the horn has also died. :
So at this stage I'm thinking I've just bought a faulty clock spring, I ohmed it out and it is fine. I removed the steering wheel and clock spring from my car today and put it on my mates AU 1 tonner and it all works!!

The problem lays somwhere between the connections under the steering column and the cruise and horn. I've proved that the horn works because when you try and lock the car when the door is open the horn sounds.

On the way home from my mates place today I thought I would try the cruise again. It didn't work but now it also won't turn off at the stalk :

So I now have no horn, cruise that won't set and a cruise control that won't turn off (on the dash).

My questions are:
Does the cruise and horn run through the BEM?
I'm thinking it does as the horn sounds when you try and lock the car with the door open via the remote. The BEM would be needed for this right?

Does the BEM have a history of failing in the AU model?
How much are they worth new / second hand?

Someone may say to just take it to an auto elec but I'm a determined bastard :thebirds:

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by mattbl; 17-12-2005 at 08:33 PM.
mattbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post