Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 
Smile Anyone collect car magazines?

Just curious if there is anybody out there that collects car magazines?
In early 2003 i started buying Fast fours and rotarya and Hot4s and in early 2005 bought my first STREET MACHINE magazine and currently have almost every regualar edition of street machine from july 2005 (when they stopped ding the staple binding) up until the current edition. Im only missing april 2008 but need to replace april 07 as the cover somehow went missing.
Recently ive started collecting other magazines such as
Special edition street machines (including a signed by brock "brock edition")
Street fords
Super fords
Xtreme ford
Cruzin
Street rodder
Street rodding
Street rodder news
And Performance garage

Currently my favorite edition is almost my oldest- N° 57 November-december 1987 Australian street rodding

I'll throw up some photos soon

I'd love to hear from other who collect car mags
Share what you have and collect

Ps ive got alot of doubles in the street machine if anyone is looking for a certain copy

Last edited by XARATE; 16-11-2012 at 01:04 AM.
XARATE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Default Re: Anyone collect car magazines?

Oh yeah, I've been collecting all kinds of American car magazines since the mid-'80s. I've got all but the second issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords.

I've got lots of Ford and muscle car magazines, and also a lot of issues of Collectible Automobile.

I made sure to buy some Aussie car mags on my trip. I was very impressed by Real GT Falcons.
Old 16-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trouble is they take up so much room and are darned heavy when you box them up to put them away.
Then you have to wrap them in plastic so the silverfish dont get into them.
I only collect Aust Muscle Car and Unique Cars, they take up enough room boxed up in my shed.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Australian Muscle Car
Unique Cars
Just Cars
Sports and Classic Cars
Thoroughbred and Classic Cars
Restored Cars
Just Cars
Australian Classic Cars

I'm running out of room!
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Street Machine and Two Wheels (now "2Wheels")

I have Street Machines right back in a pretty unbroken line to the mid eighties. Then before that I have issues picked up second hand going back to important issues like the first issue of Van Wheels, then the first issue with "Van Wheels & Street Machine" on the cover (Street Machine in little tiny letters under the title), then the first one with Street Machine on the cover. Without looking, I think I might have the one that has "Street Machine & Van Wheels" on the cover too for the change-over period.

Then I have various issues of Motor and Wheels going back to the seventies, plus every Wheels Car Of The Year issue going back to the mid seventies.

Two Wheels I have back to the late eighties, as well as some second hand ones back to the seventies.

I used to subscribe to Street Rod (small magazine...same format and size as Restored Cars) and also Restored Cars from around 1980 up until the late nineties.

I only buy Street Machine on and off now when something interesting is in it...there was a period when it started to turn more from "Street" Machine to "Drag Cars With Licence Plates Tacked On" Machine, with totally unrealistic "street" cars being featured over proper "normal" modified cars.

Magazines like Hot 4's also find space on my bookshelf, especially issues with interesting tech articles and retro Jap car articles.
There's a selection of British motorcycle magazines as well. Not to mention a big pile of Ozbike magazines (Harleys) from back in the nineties when I was a contributing fiction writer for them...yes yes, bit of a dark secret there...it was easy writing fiction for them, you just have to remember that Harley is the only motorcycle in existance and anything else is rubbish...

I have to build some sort of storage in the shed at the house we've just bought instead of stacking them in a cupboard...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 16-11-2012 at 09:00 AM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd buy street car magazines if they actually featured street-driven cars.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Street Machine - still religiously purchase every mag. Have done since around '83.

Like some one above, I have a few Van Wheels and VW/SM crossover mags.

The only others I purchase are the yearly Bathurst mags (there were 2 this year for the 50th running) and every now and then I will grab a Rod or Custom mag if something catches the eye.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I'd buy street car magazines if they actually featured street-driven cars.
Yes...the straw that broke the camels back for me and a lot of other readers was when Street Machine had as a cover car little LJ Torana coupe fitted with a massive bog block Chev engine and a huge blower with carbs and scoop as high as the roof, as well as a full chassis and huge rear wheels and tiny little front runners, combined with a full race interior. It had Queensland plates fitted, and was proudly shouted as a "9 second street car" on the cover.

Yes...of course it was...
Old 16-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Street Machine - still religiously purchase every mag. Have done since around '83.

Like some one above, I have a few Van Wheels and VW/SM crossover mags.

The only others I purchase are the yearly Bathurst mags (there were 2 this year for the 50th running) and every now and then I will grab a Rod or Custom mag if something catches the eye.
Very jelous!
Only today did i get my first VW/SM cross over mag, its the Dec '81/january '82 copy in good nick but unfortunately its missing the free van&tit calendar

Also scored the april 08 SM so i finally have every edition since january 2005
Now to start working back through each year

Heres my poor bookself and the collection

Sm from july 05 to current

And the rest

These are my doubles if anyone is looking for a particular copy
Old 16-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now that's neat. I really have to do something like that when I get my shed set up. Mine were stacked one on top of another in an old cupboard with shelves put in. Made it a bugger to look anything up...

Thanks for the idea.

Restored Cars is a good...but admittedly pricey for its size...magazine when it comes to keeping people up to date with what is going on regarding old cars and the law with a regular section called "Is there an old car in your future?". It mentions obscure news items, notes from government study papers that the public doesn't generally know about unless they really have the time to search, and other information on ideas and proposals that would impact on people owning and more importantly driving old cars now and in the future.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 16-11-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 16-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha in hindsight i should of bought something more solid than a golo shelf, the shelf with the street machines has bowed about 20mm lower in the middle lol
Old 16-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARATE View Post
Haha in hindsight i should of bought something more solid than a golo shelf, the shelf with the street machines has bowed about 20mm lower in the middle lol
That could be fixed by buying a lump of thick ply from Bunnings or somewhere...probably 8mm or so at least and solid...and cutting it so it would slot in half way across each shelf, standing up and being a press in fit between shelves vertically, top to bottom on each shelf. Then put the magazines in. You would only lose the space of maybe one magazine on each shelf, and they wouldn't bow like that.
Old 16-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brilliant idea!!! Looks like im off to the hardware store in the morning
Cheers
Old 16-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Perth street car,street fords,super fords,basically all the ford ones. used to buy performance buildups for the awesome articles.
Got 2001-2011 street machine minus 2 issues if anybody wants to buy the lot, just dont read them anymore and dont buy sm anymore because i got sick of looking at show cars and commodores.
I think perth street car is the best because its local stuff and i can relate.Street fords is getting to just do the same cars over and over
I have a 6 by 3 bookshelf that is nearly broken from the sheer weight
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARATE View Post
Brilliant idea!!! Looks like im off to the hardware store in the morning
Cheers
Thanks. I've done it myself in the past a few times...it does work. You can pick up the shelves in kit form so cheap nowadays at any discount store that it seems a shame to not figure out some way to use them instead of having to invest in expensive solid wood bookshelves. The plywood is a simple fix to the cheapo shelving.
Old 17-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

used to once, threw a library full out about 15 year ago, still have a few floating around including some odd old car manuals.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I started collecting Street Machine when it first came out.

I went overseas in 86 so my mother bought me a subscription so I could read them when I got back. I ended up being OS for over eight years. Had a fair bit of reading to do when I got back!

I never read them now but can't bring myself to throw them out. I just took photos so I could sell them. Anyone interested? Street Machine from 81 to 94 (six missing I have brothers), Custom rodder and Street Rodding about 30 from the early 80's. And about 70 dragster Australia and All states. 20-30 later car mag's. I'm in S/E Melbourne, pick up only.

A couple of hundred for the lot?

Old 17-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Ive got lots of WHEELS, Top Gear Australia, 4WD Action, 4x4 Australia, Unique Cars, and various other mags! Got a few truck ones too.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a couple not mentioned, sports car world, custom rodder, one issue of custom rodder stayed in my head with a purple xk? with dragways and 289 spinnable to 9000 rpm, on four wheels anyone .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
I started collecting Street Machine when it first came out.

I went overseas in 86 so my mother bought me a subscription so I could read them when I got back. I ended up being OS for over eight years. Had a fair bit of reading to do when I got back!

I never read them now but can't bring myself to throw them out. I just took photos so I could sell them. Anyone interested? Street Machine from 81 to 94 (six missing I have brothers), Custom rodder and Street Rodding about 30 from the early 80's. And about 70 dragster Australia and All states. 20-30 later car mag's. I'm in S/E Melbourne, pick up only.

A couple of hundred for the lot?
Mate i'll take them
I'll pm u shortly
Old 17-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #21
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some years ago I worked at Gregories Automotive Publications, they were moving premises after being in one spot for many years.
They had a large magazine collection so I went through all their old magazines and kept around 60 of them. They dated back to 1968 so I kept anything muscle car related, got some good finds like the original HO down the Hume then the later corrected version.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
79FordEsky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a few magazines and I am looking at handing them over to another person and anyone thats interested pm me. Check the pictures below included is a 1986 Street Machine Nationals guide.

My Survivor 1 owner XC Wagon
Check it Out
79FordEsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #23
snakeoil
Snake Oil

my collection goes back as far as 1950's wheels magazines but my collection focuses predominantly on V8's of the 1960's So as an example I have the original road test of HK Monaro in wheels'modern motor and sports car world magazines of the era I have all the ford V8 and valiant V8s plus Australian delivered Yank tanks as well.I started collecting in the early seventies and now have over 500 mags in total and around 300 books/brochures

2015 Mercedes C180 Coupe White/Black
2011 FG GS Ute manual #246 White/Black
2010 Chrysler Sebring limited hardtop Silver/grey
2003 UX Explorer V8 White/grey
2008 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250 Black
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
2011 Glastron GT 185 (USA made bowrider)White/Black
1988 Komatsu FG10 Forklift
FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria #975
Ullysees Member #18,554
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got about 400 magazines from 1980 wheels, modern motor, v8 x, street fords, extreme fords unique cars, plus plenty more all at $1.00 each if any interested pm thank you.
bigwil is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used to have streetmachine from the 80s street and strip ,custom rooder, vans and trucks,performace street car some american mags.Gave them away on the forum some years ago dont have the room. If I had the room would still have them
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #26
Shanes Ghia
Angry Bird on 20's

That's the major drawback with collecting magazines... storage!
There's some awsome collections so far!!

I have a large collection of Unique Cars, Wheels magazine (some pre decimal) and Motor magazine. With the exception of a couple of years, have nearly all Street Machine magazines, but now more focused on Street Fords, Australian Mustang and Ford Magazine and Mustang Monthly from USA (hey, a guy can dream!).
Have a couple of boxes of Fast Fours and Hot Fours magazines plus a couple of boxes of Commodore Power and Street Commodores magazines (yes, I crossed over from the dark side..) from their beginning. All books in good nick and would like to sell them urgently before they get damaged or ruined.
Please PM me if you are in Sanctuary Point / Huskisson / Nowra area or somewhere close. Need some $$$ ... have two hungry kids and a thirsty Territory to support!!
Shanes Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
Chippa666

I've only really collected Street Machine and fast fours. Got every edition of Street Machine from oct/nov 85 to now and every issue of fast fours from no. 1 to now except 2!
Old 28-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #28
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippa666 View Post
I've only really collected Street Machine and fast fours. Got every edition of Street Machine from oct/nov 85 to now and every issue of fast fours from no. 1 to now except 2!
Hey if you have fast fours, do you remember a Silvia that was painted green that turned into Blue.

Trying to find this picture for a few months now, but can not find it anywhere.

I think it was in fast fours around 5 or 6 years ago.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #29
Chippa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Hey if you have fast fours, do you remember a Silvia that was painted green that turned into Blue.

Trying to find this picture for a few months now, but can not find it anywhere.

I think it was in fast fours around 5 or 6 years ago.
Can't remember it but I'll have a look when I get a chance and scan the article if you like?