Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default plasma tv

hi

got given a 42 inch lg plasma that doest work and when you turn it on at the power theres just a white flashing led and it doesnt turn on cant even push power button.

but when you unplug the y-sus board and turn it on at power again it still doesnt turn on but power button can be pushed and the led is white when off standby and red licht comes when on standby.

anyone know what it could be, never worked on plasmas before and in that hobby

would it be the screen, ysus board or power supply

whats the chance of the plasma panel still being ok

also have a nec lcd tv and it turns on but picture goes out and theres still sound but no picture

anyone know what itd be

Last edited by car10002; 30-11-2012 at 10:12 AM.
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 
Default Re: plasma tv

i have fixed quite a few of the lcd/plasma tv's and lcd monitors myself.
my father is a retired radio/television telstra technician, so i learnt a lot from him when i was young.

first up, this is only my advise,
i will not be held responsible if you damage/hurt yourself, the tv/s, circuit boards etc.
disconnect the power before you touch anything
and remember that the capacitors hold a charge until they are shorted, so try not to touch the pcb's too much, you may get an electric shock.

if you are unsure with soldering etc, and post up a pic of the board, i could point out which ones should be replaced.
then you could identify them and buy new ones, then have a technician replace them for you.
you will need a small pointed soldering iron (around 25w)
somefine (under 1mm solder)
some solder wick to remove the old components,
and good eyes to read the details off the side of the capacitors, lol

but, with both tv's it would/could most likely be the lcd power board capacitors?

if you know what you're doing it is easy enough to repair them (lcd/plasma tv's/monitors)cheaply.
check out the lcd/plasma power supply board capacitors, there are usually 4 or 5 of them.
the tops of them will rise and make an convex shape, sometimes leaking and giving a bad smell too.
replace them with higher voltage ones if possible, eg; go from 25v up to 35v capacitors, or 10v up to 16v or even 25v.
if you cant find one in the same range eg; 3300uF it shouldnt give you any problems using say a 4700uF.

jaycar keep a lot of different ones in stock, and are cheap enough to try.

otherwise most of the lcd power boards are available on ebay (do a worldwide search)etc, either new or reconditioned and aren't to expensive, some are around $60 for the board then you can just plug it in.

if you have trouble finding the capacitors post up a pic and i'll point them out to you.

what state/area are you from?

cheers, craig

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Try this forum. http://www.tv-forums.com/forum/TV_Eq...pair_Forum_F3/ mate instead of us grease monkeys
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just bear in mind if you have never had a plasma, they generate a lot of heat and use a lot of power that's why they are not that popular now.
these things are great in winter but a nightmare in summer

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

the Plasma tv's have pretty much the same power supply circuits as the older style LCD tv's.
so they generate about the same heat, a lot of it comes from the backlighting's fluro tubes.

the newer LCD tv's use a LED backlighting setup, so radiant heat is a lot less from them.

here are some of the faulty Capacitors , and a couple of Diodes that i have recently replaced in a Plasma, and a LCD TV (a couple of weeks ago) to fix the no picture, but sound works, fault.

not all faulty Capactiors will bulge at the top and be obvious though, see the 3 blue ones on the right you can just notice a buldge, and easily see the big black one bulging on the right,
for the cost, it is worth replacing them all.
the new ones (spares) are pictured above the bottom row.

67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

Old 30-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here are some pics of the internals of the 42" Plasma tv i fixed.
the display power board is the top middle one below.

closer pic,

and closer again.

the 4x black capacitors at the top were replaced, and the 3x blue ones going down too.

here is a pic of the old blue ones, and the new black one that they were replaced with.

the faulty ones were 10 volt, 3300 uF ( the uF symbol is Microfarad's, the measurement), the replacement ones are 16 volt, 4700 uF
using a higher voltage capacitor will hopefully let them last longer,
i used the higher, 4700uF , caps as no one locally had the 3300's in stock.
the small difference (3300-4700) doesnt really effect the circuits etc

67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

car10002,
did you have any luck fixing your Plasma TV?

67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD