Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 26-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
vanessa0305

Unhappy a/c causing engine to overheat.

If I drive my ea stationwagon without a/c the temp gauge will sit low under half way with little movements up or down from there. But when the a/c is on even on low the temp gauge will sit at about 3/4 and if its for a long drive it will creep higher and higher. Yesterday for the first time ever it breeched the normal operating temp field (just). I stopped the car at this point and turned the a/c off and then when I had sat for a little while I started off again and arrived safely at my destination. Is there anything I can do about this. I would normally think there was something amiss with the thermostat if it didn't drive perfectly with the a/c off. Any help would be appreciated.

vanessa0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get the radiator cleaned,,clean all the sh*t out between the condensor and radiator,,get a new thermostat,,just a few things to get you started

the falcon
Old 26-12-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My fairmont use to do that had the radiator cleaned and overhaul all the hoses and didn't do a thing but what I found when the temp gauge got over 3/4 you will look over the engine and it wasn't even hot and never worked it out what was wrong ,took it to ford a few times and keep saying the temp gauge was broken and change it or the temp sender but after doing that 3 or 4 times they also gave up so gave up on it and sold it
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Id try the first post. Then if no go check the viscous fan.
I had the same dramas with my ed, got a new radiator & fitted a BPT thermofan conversion and it was all sweet!!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
vanessa0305

Can I clean my own radiator or do I need to take it to a mechanic for that? I have new hoses and a new thermostat but I have no idea what kind of thermostat they used or if its a ford genuine part.

Last edited by vanessa0305; 26-12-2005 at 06:16 PM. Reason: left out information....
Old 26-12-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

about all you can do yourself is run a heap of fresh water through it both ways,ist throught the top then turn it upside own and run water throught it again,,put your hand over the middle hole..it's best to take it to someone or just get a new one..just as easy and sometimes can be cheaper...
Old 26-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

undo the 2 bolts that mount th radiator to the radiator suport panel..... this will allow you to tip the radiator back towards the engine.... so you can access where the leaves and crap is....

pull all the junk out between the radiator and condensor , and it should then be fine....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #8
jedaarr

Location: Nowra (Southcoast) N.S.W. Beutiful beaches no smog & plenty of grog & yes that is my dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessa0305
If I drive my ea stationwagon without a/c the temp gauge will sit low under half way with little movements up or down from there. But when the a/c is on even on low the temp gauge will sit at about 3/4 and if its for a long drive it will creep higher and higher. Yesterday for the first time ever it breeched the normal operating temp field (just). I stopped the car at this point and turned the a/c off and then when I had sat for a little while I started off again and arrived safely at my destination. Is there anything I can do about this. I would normally think there was something amiss with the thermostat if it didn't drive perfectly with the a/c off. Any help would be appreciated.
I would check the thermo fan 1st, i have had a few ea cars
they do sit at around 3/qs on hot day & was told this by a
genuine radiator installer.
You helped me with my question on regassing my old girl.
I have been using my ac regurally the last week as it is hot
in my home town of nowra av 30- 35 & it does not
move above 3/qs.
In the past i found i had a stuffed thermo fan that
did not kick in at all.

TO MANY YEARS IN THE MAKING : :1syellow1

Last edited by jedaarr; 26-12-2005 at 07:20 PM.
jedaarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:48 AM   #9
Brent79

Ive always wondered, do cars with an electric fan on the condensor make for cooler air conditioning??

Brent
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
vanessa0305

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
undo the 2 bolts that mount th radiator to the radiator suport panel..... this will allow you to tip the radiator back towards the engine.... so you can access where the leaves and crap is....

pull all the junk out between the radiator and condensor , and it should then be fine....
Hi this seems to have done the trick. I did this and then took her out on the hwy at 110 with the a/c on full blast and it didn't go over 1/2 way! Wonderful thank you so much!!
Old 27-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #11
LUXO_8
windsor user

awesome, glad to have been able to help
Old 27-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #12
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

kewl,,it always pays to clean out between the condenser and the radiator,,first thing that should be done if ya think it's getting a bit warmer than usual..
Old 27-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #13
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyfalcon
kewl,,it always pays to clean out between the condenser and the radiator,,first thing that should be done if ya think it's getting a bit warmer than usual..
yep, if its not this then the very next thing you should try is the viscous fan... then thermostat. but its usually always crap between the condensor and radiator....
Old 27-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #14
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

speaking of viscous clutch,,he he i just replaced mine about a week ago,,it has made a difference to the cooling,,i was thinking when this one goes i'll put a davies craige thermo on it,,or get one installed,,
Old 27-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #15
vanessa0305

what is the viscous fan and how can i test if its working?
Old 27-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #16
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

It is also called a Fan Clutch. Directly behind the Fan blades sits a aluminium round object. It is the Clutch Fan Or Viscious Fan. It is screwed onto the fron of the water pump and is there to aid in better cooling. After the ED Ford dropped this unit and went for Thermo Fans.

One quick way to test it is to see how much drag there is when trying to rotate the fan. If it feels like it is in Heavey weight oil it should be fine but if it just rotates easy you will need to replace it. It is also a good idea to have a 10 bladed fan. The first run of the EA CFI's had 5 blades, totally useless.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #17
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you have to replace it and don't want the new fan you need to specify how many blades your current one has
Old 28-12-2005, 08:04 PM   #18
vanessa0305

Ok I checked my fan and I have resistance when I turn it but it does turn. When I turn on the engine I can hear the fan going. But even though she is now staying cool on the highway today she got very hot when I was driving around town. I am not sure why and when I got home I sat in the car with the a/c on waiting for it to overheat just to see how fast it happens and it was very very slow to heat up so I can't understand why just on this one occasion it decided to get so hot. I had been driving on and off all day and it was my second trip into town but it was the first time it had gone over 1/2 way and infact the needle went to the very top of the normal range. I will get my radiator flushed as soon as my mechanic comes back from holidays and keep an eye on my temp gauge until then.
Old 28-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #19
vanessa0305

I forgot to add my fan has 10 blades.
Old 28-12-2005, 08:09 PM   #20
niko
likes falcon's

also u may want to get a pressure test done of your cooling system, i know my car used to vary in temperature and i found where it was leaking
Old 28-12-2005, 08:17 PM   #21
jedaarr

Location: Nowra (Southcoast) N.S.W. Beutiful beaches no smog & plenty of grog & yes that is my dog.

Did the gas installer check your radiator
for proper coolant refill, if it is only
water or cheap crap it will heat up, i
had a ea on gass once & belive me it got
hot without proper coolent in system. :

Old 29-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #22
vanessa0305

It does have coolant in it. A good quality one. So I am sure thats not the problem. What is happening is when I drive on the hwy into town its fine and stays well below the 1/2 point with the a/c on. Then when I stop its still fine but when I get back into my car and turn it on the temp gauge is way up high but once I start driving again it drops back below the 1/2 way point.
Old 29-12-2005, 06:44 PM   #23
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

vanessa that is normal as when the motor is not running there is no cooling,,the only time i'd worry is if it went up and didn't come down..don't worry it's fine..
Old 31-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #24
vanessa0305

Do you think having a thermofan fitted will help as its still heating up alot if driving for more than an hour with the a/c on or if driving around town with the a/c on?
Old 31-12-2005, 09:05 PM   #25
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it will help if you have it put on the outside of the condensor,the more moving air the better,but have it wired so it only comes on with the air con,otherwise you could strain the alternator,you have to remember the air con puts a strain on the motor which in turn makes it work harder,well you can guess the rest,but one thing people do do is repalce the clutch fan with a thermo fan,there by releasing some of the strain on the engine and some power.

i am looking at doing this when my current clutch fan roots itself,,but thats a while away hopefully..

any more info pm me
Old 01-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #26
jedaarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyfalcon
vanessa that is normal as when the motor is not running there is no cooling,,the only time i'd worry is if it went up and didn't come down..don't worry it's fine..
Naughty falcon is exactly right all cars heat up
when stopped as it is under pressure, & will fall
again onc u restart the engine.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #27
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedaarr
Did the gas installer check your radiator
for proper coolant refill, if it is only
water or cheap crap it will heat up, i
had a ea on gass once & belive me it got
hot without proper coolent in system. :
ur exactly right, keep the green stuff up to the radiator, i find the best coolant is castrol radi-cool, it costs $18 for 5 litres, but the ea requires 15 litres of coolant, so buy the concentrate, mabe more expensive, but kind to the head gasket, and the car, keeps mine runnin cool as a cucumber!!!!
maybe even the belt tension, if it is too tight there could be unneccesary drag, so the engine has to work harder to turn it.
well worth looking at that product.
*castrol radi-cool*

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post