Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Grays Online. Thoughts ?

Grays online had some good stuff when it first came out but their fees are becoming a joke. I won a 1500w invertor for $140.00 but by the time it landed, it was $201.00. I have just finished watching an auction with a heap of engineering gear and most of the second hand stuff went for more than the brand new price, and that was before Grays put their fees on. Now I'm getting e-mails from Grays asking me why I haven't used their auctions recently !!

Sorry Mods, this should of went in the Bar, could you please change

Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Grays Online. Thoughts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Now I'm getting e-mails from Grays asking me why I haven't used their auctions recently !!
So tell them! If enough do then they may reduce their fees... Highly doubt it. The online wave of selling is becoming a tsunami.. Look at what carsales used to charge a few years ago compared to now, I think ebay is also lifting their selling premium to something like 10% very soon...

Talk about a cash cow.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any auction house has similar fee's. If you are not happy tell them. They are asking for feedback.

Maybe they do not realise why people are not using the auctions.

If you are not happy with buying a product online, you can go to a shop and buy the product.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
So tell them! If enough do then they may reduce their fees... Highly doubt it. The online wave of selling is becoming a tsunami.. Look at what carsales used to charge a few years ago compared to now, I think ebay is also lifting their selling premium to something like 10% very soon...

Talk about a cash cow.....
Ebays fees, plus paypals fees are quite ridiculous and together are more than 10%.
I regularly sell on eBay and the fees add up quickly, but on the other hand, without eBay I couldn't sell my items.

Its all about being smart with what you're buying and selling. I see many things sell for more than shop prices, for used items without warranty, its crazy really. But some people are stupid and think that because things are at online auction they MUST be cheaper than stores.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I bought a few things with Grays when they first started.

Then they seemed to figure what a good thing they were onto and up went the fees and freight charges, now I don't bother.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never used it myself but my parents would keep their wine sales figures through the roof.. Especially after I come over for a weekend visit haha.

Dad also used to buy quite a lot of ex-office equipment, watches etc. He went on a bit of a buying bender but never had a problem with fees etc. This wasn't recently though he's still buying wine from there.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I bought a few things with Grays when they first started.

Then they seemed to figure what a good thing they were onto and up went the fees and freight charges, now I don't bother.
+1
Last thing I bought on Grays was 18 months ago, and that was a car
Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Wife and I started going to Auctions over 20 years ago, and were fairly quick to jump on the online bandwagon. Picked up some great bargains over the years and sold a lot of stuff to.
Unfortunately there are now far too many idiots bidding on these auctions, and lack of real bargains. Grays is a good example. I picked up a bunch of tools, I bid on a ******** of stuff, but only the minimum bid, and got about a third of it. Mostly very happy with what I got, and the postage all up was $17.00 for a big box of tools I couldn’t carry. But some of the stuff went for stupid prices.
For some people in regional areas, where they don’t have a Bunnings or SupaCheap down the road, the prices may still be reasonable.
With second hand stuff there are still bargains, but the problem is when you bid online on a 2nd hand office chair, you don’t know if it is a $300 chair that you are getting for a song, or a $50 k-mart job with a busted gas lift.
Picked up a couple of GREAT bargain cars recently at Pickles, and saw a few others as well. The thing they each had in common was that they were not common models. Toyotas and commode utes fetch stupid prices
This user likes this post: