Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Default Tickford Premium Brakes.

Just wondering your opinions are on them as I am looking at buying a set, I remember Sylox and Bucky having some issues with a loose rotor or something like that and what's the best brake pads for them.

Thanks All,
Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
parawolf
beep beep

Have a look at one of the guys on the forums - he is selling off a set of 4 piston AP Racing brakes with 330mm discs $1800 for calipers, hardware and rotors (2nd hand equipment). He seems keen to sell so perhaps you could do better again?
Old 09-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tickford Brakes are great. Great improvement. When I got mine done, I wasn't quite expecting to spend so much. If i had of known new discs + pads + caliper costs + fitting would of charged that much. I would of gone straight to a PBR Setup. Although, done now... I'm very happy with them. Heaps of bite. Don't go the Bendix Ultimates or Advance. Great pad, but way to much dust. Sylox is using EBC Green Stuff Pads (apparantely really good).

If you can get the Tickford setup cheap, and even the rotors and pads, then it'll be ok. But if you have to buy new pads and rotors. Expect an easy $800+.

The problem was a loose caliper. In time, the locator pin becomes worn, and there is some movement. John can send you out a simple $50 kit, which will fix this. Bucky still had some slight movement, and knocking, and further fixed it another way.

That AP Racing Setup looks nice, although remember he is not selling 4. He is selling a front pair (2) of 4 piston calipers. Which will just be all wrong, when thrown on to the car with Stock rear brakes.

LG
Old 09-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Go the Ap's, or Brembos, Alcon or any of the other aftermarket premium gear.

I'm guessing that yoou're referring to the Ford twin piston front, single piston/ slotted rotors by PBR.... and trust me they have not got nothen on any of the above.

I discovered the joys of stopping as hard as I can go and oh mother, it is a revalation. Best mod ( and it should have been the first mod) I made to my XR.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not quite sure, but I thought the PBR's did come in a 4 piston caliper. What did Falkeen get for his ute?

They are around the $2k mark, with everything. New rotors, pads, lines, calipers.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Im guessing that for those dollars, the kit is twin piston front, single piston rears. A good economical set up.

4 piston stuff usually starts at a bit over 3 K for fronts only, including braided lines and performance pads.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
parawolf
beep beep

The PBR performance kit is a twin piston "C6" model caliper

You don't need to upgrade the rear caliper or disc. About the the only thing required would be a pad change and if you like grooved rotors.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:08 AM   #8
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

I'm with parawolf on this. Go for the 4 piston AP set for sale. It will make a huge difference over the 2 piston Tickford set up. Most of the braking is done by the fronts, the rears will not be all wrong, will be fine.

I'd take a 4 piston front caliper over a 2 piston set up anyday. I don't understand why people upgrade their already 2 piston front set up for another aftermarket 2 piston set up, even if it comes with slightly larger diameter rotors. Waste of money. If you going to do something, do it proper.. get a 4 piston front caliper set up. For a little extra, it is a HUGE difference as opposed to a small difference.

The guy selling the 4 piston AP set up is in Melbourne, and if it is infact the Cebco set up, they're also in Melbourne if you need help fitting them up. $1800 ono is not a bad price, I say get it BLUPRNT XR8.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 03:08 AM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Just watch the AP racing brakes and your wheels, a lot of aftermarket wheels will not fit over them as the spokes foul on the caliper, forget any wheels with a dish to it. As for the PBR setup, great brakes at a great price. I can not get them to fade on the road and my trans overheated before my brakes faded out on the track. Sure the 4 and 6 pot brakes are better but who really gets to use them to their full potential on the road? I would rather put the extra money elsewhere thanks.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #10
jspec_sti

Agree with gecko, the PBR setup is great. The stopping power compared to the standard setup is like chalk and cheese. The first (and only) mod to my XR8 so far.
jspec_sti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #11
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
Just watch the AP racing brakes and your wheels, a lot of aftermarket wheels will not fit over them as the spokes foul on the caliper, forget any wheels with a dish to it. As for the PBR setup, great brakes at a great price. I can not get them to fade on the road and my trans overheated before my brakes faded out on the track. Sure the 4 and 6 pot brakes are better but who really gets to use them to their full potential on the road? I would rather put the extra money elsewhere thanks.
Very true. However you have to check this with the PBR setup as well if you are also getting the 330mm rotors as they require a 17" minimum wheel.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #12
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Sylox has a Tickford T series seutup.
I have a similar setup on my ED, its the best money ive ever spent on my car.

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED

Back in a Ford XR. MA XR5 Mondeo

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post