Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 19-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

Default Ride Leveling Suspension.

Just got a quick couple of Qs guys.

These run on compressed air yeah?
Is the compressor for this located drivers side bottom pulley?
Do they have a resevoir tank?
Where?
Is there a typical component that fails and causes the saggy bum fairlanes you see around?
Whats it cost to fix it to get them back to orginal working order? or is it normally cheaper to just remove it and fit new springs and shocks?

cheers

grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

the ride leveling suspension or SLS (Self Leveling Suspension) does run an airpump, it is actually located on the drivers side in the inner guard, they can fail, and the shocks are not cheap to replace, most people remove them and put in stnd springs and shocks.

Most saggy bum fairlanes or EA ghias for that matter are more due to the rear shocks leaking down overnight, once the car starts they should pump back up to correct height.

Cost to fix, rear shocks cost about 300 a pair from memory, and the compressor is not servicable, but it can be pulled apart and fixed, try buy one from someone who is not using as they disconnected, the air pumps as a rule rarely die, its usually the shocks.

I have kept my SLS and it works perfectly fine, and i like to collect SLS parts in case I need a spare.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
phil pjt007
Starter Motor

hi I had a nl fairlane that gave me alot of problems with the rear suspension.
It was allways the switch on the diff that played up. Took it to ford many times to adjust and replace with 2nd hand switches but they too played up. It keeped leaving the compressor on so in the end i took the fuse out. Thats why my car had saggy ars.
Ford told me they dont make switches anymore and there's no after market ones either. I had to either replace the shocks with normal gas shocks or leave the fuse out.
phil pjt007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I have not had problems with my switch like that, did have an issue of it always failing, so I pulled the switch out, re-soldered all the joints as some of them looked 'dry' and it has worked 100% fine since.

Old 20-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

I drove one the other day and it was saggy the entire time, and I notice the light was on on the dash too. I may look into getting one, should someone by my ESP so I was just trying to determine how much I would be up for to fix the problem.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
EA2BA
PM me if you want

if the light is on in the dash then that indicates a fail, in an EA you also get a annoying beeping (can be silinced thank god).

on the EA if you make the interior light turn on and off 3 times within a second it makes the SLS do a self test, it is supposed to pump to full height then back down then set at correct height, if any errors you count how many times the warning light flashes.

to fix the problem just price stnd shocks and springs as a fall back, as the SLS can expensive to fix.

Old 24-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've still got SLS and it works well. I did have a bit of a problem originally with the back of the car continuously jacking all the way up when the car wasn't even going. This was fixed by a cable tie! I'm lucky that my cousin is a mechanic, and when he removed the SLS from a car ages ago (the compressor was dead), he gave me the shocks so I've got a couple of spares.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post