Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Default Turbo AU

Hay guys I was getting some quotes just out of interest to see how much it costs to get some extra power now what I wanna know is this is a 4x4 shop and if its a good deal.

First; HP gain 20%

Extractors, hiflow cat & mandrel bent 2.5 exhaust $1500
K&N & Cold air induction $700
Unichip & ignition control module $1340
Custom 3" intake (throttle body to air box) $220

total: $3,760

Second; HP gain 50%

fit turbo conversion & compliance $1100
Garrett GT35R ball bearing turbocharger & fitting kit $2,555
Hand made exhaust manifold $600
BOV - plum back $300
Unichip fuel & ignition control $900
hiflow fuel injectors $140
front mount intercooler & plumbing $1600
2.5" mandre bent exhaust & hiflow 2.5 cat inc turbo dump pipe $1000
dyno tune $440
K7N & Turbo intake system $250

total: $9,585

Now the first thing that gets me is prices for general items seem to vary between the two quotes such as the exhaust with a $500 difference.

Are these good packages or should I look else where.

They are to fit an au2 I6 auto.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

So what sort of power will you have if you go for the turbo?
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 10:55 PM   #3
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Hmm not sure I surpose 50% over stock would be around 240kw? as the base engine is somethign like 160kw. They said it would be around 7psi.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
stiddy
Banned

turbo = easy power but big outlay.. think of insurance aswell with a turbo kit.. and trying to get the thing engineered..
I would suggest a full EMS if your going turbo, for only $200 more you can have one and it will be better than the unichip reason being, they can only really withstand upto 8psi from memory.. and 3inch exhaust for turbo..
the turbo kit for $9,500 sounds about right, and also little cheaper then alot of other reputable places..
n/a it will be a noticeable improvement, but no were near the turbo set up.. fairly obvious i would assume.. its entirely upto you.. what you wanna do with the car and stuff.
turbo kit would be easy 200rwkw+ and see a comfortable 13's on 9-10psi which is max for a stock AU motor..
the n/a would see 150rwkw.. and mid 14's if ya lucky..

both sound like good packages though..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Im just wondering if im gonna evenutally need a strong manual, engine rebuild and new diff :( The turbo is tempting a white au2 with t3 kit 19" mags and a intercooler poking out the front. A man can dream!

With the plumback bov does it let out and woooshh at all when reving up?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:24 PM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman

Now the first thing that gets me is prices for general items seem to vary between the two quotes such as the exhaust with a $500 difference.

Are these good packages or should I look else where.

They are to fit an au2 I6 auto.
the $500 variance on the exhaust quote includes the headers, so to be fair add the manifold for the turbo and the turbo set-up is $100 more.. I'd wouldn't cap the exhaust at 2.5" either, the 4.0l is a big engine, with the turbo I'd look at 3" minium.

The same applies to the uni chip, one is quoted tuned for $1340 the other list install and supply @ $900 and Dyno time $440, so the prices do marry up between the quotes if you work thru them.

THe injectors seem on the cheap side @ $140 for the set? (maybe Mitsu blue tops or the like but iirc FMS injectors are $50 each)

THe package is alittle vague, you could spend $10k on the set-up if you sourced the BEST bits, PWR coolers for example are $1500 alone, TurboSmart BOV, Boost gauge is another $500(not even listed on the quote). So it depends on the quality of the components, and personally I wouldn't piggy back either package with a Ui chip when the Wolf stand alone set-up is $1600'ish tuned.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 11:41 PM   #7
stiddy
Banned

and no, a plumbback dosnet let out the woooosh sound.. you need one that vents to atmosphere if you want that sound.. and you only get that woosh sound when you back off.. ie: releasing pressure when throttle is snapped shut, the air has to go somewhere..
the manual will definately need to be rebuilt/replaced, depending on how long it lasts is upto your driving..

as tibbo was saying, the injectors do seem a little on the cheap side.. althought i picked up a set of Ford Motorsport Ev2 42lb's(440cc) for $390 which i thought was cheap..
Old 02-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #8
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Iv got in auto in at the moment so with atmo bov would it make any noise at all?

Im gonna ask redcliffe dyno and performance place as well see what they can offer.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #9
stiddy
Banned

the atmo one will make the normal woosh noise.. look at http://www.gofastbits.com/index.php?...ub_option=bovs
Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #10
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Iv asked redcliffe dyno and performance and their turbo kits start at 8k. I think ill check them out instead as they have a really good reputation.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #11
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

My bits cost about $4500 and I fitted it in a day or so at home.
My car would be described accurately as an E-bay parts special, there is also plenty of parts from the local hydraulic shop.
Might be rough, might be ugly but seems to work OK.
Depends what you have to spend, and what you can do for yourself.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #12
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you need some good pistons and valves man, turbos wear your engine a lot quicker than what it should

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
you need some good pistons and valves man, turbos wear your engine a lot quicker than what it should
If I wanted a big power engine I would agree with you 100%. But given AU engines are hard for wreckers to move, and I know I can get good engines for under $1000 (Racecraft seems to pick them up for $400 or so).

The ACL forged piston kit is $1200 before you have the pistons machined.

I am only running 6psi and I am not looking to ramp this up (yet) I think if I get 80,000 - 100,000 k's out of an engine before it packs it in that is OK. That is about 2-3 years of driving for me.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #14
stiddy
Banned

... theres nothing wrong with the stocko AU valves, they dont need to be touched.

as for the pistons and stuff, they are fine stock aswell, the motor needs to be decompled, can be done with either head work, or a decomp plater.. drop it down from 9.6:1 to 8.8:1 and it will be fine..

i dont have any idea of how long a boosted falcon will last, have heard 50,000k's before but I think it will out do that easily if built and tuned right.. and how you drive it has a baring on that..