Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
CDR_078
Innit

Default Rodent eating my interior!

Went away for a couple of weeks over Chrissy, come home to find a hole in the floor of my Territory!

Clearly the work of a rodent, it's also pecked away at the foam under the rear seats.

Need some ideas to kill the little bastards, last night I set a trap but no joy.

Anyone know what a carpet retrim is worth?
Old 02-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Rodent eating my interior!

ratsack.
http://www.ratsak.com.au/

Last edited by mik; 02-01-2015 at 04:44 PM. Reason: add
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

Check under the bonnet, mate once had rats or mice chewing through hoses & looms, destructive little beasts.....lol
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If you want to put something in there that isn’t as toxic/harmful if you have kids etc, put a bit of soda or something, like schweppes in an open container, make sure it’s fresh though with bubbles, as mice/rat’s can not burp and the gas ends up killing them, when it’s flat just replace with fresh bubbles.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

They get in through the aircon drain I believe. Pretty common problems for Terris unfortunately. Pull your glovebox out and you will likely find a chewed pipe and the buggers point of entry. Remove any water bottles you might have left in the car or food scraps. Also dont bait the rodent either as your likely have it die somewhere in the car, stinking it out and noway of finding where it is.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #6
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Get "The Big Cheese Mouse trap station" from bunnings etc. I have had 100% success rate and the trap is all contained. Catch and open up trap station and throw mouse away, reuse if multiple mice. Put the station in the car when not in use overnight maybe.

Good luck.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
CDR_078
Innit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
They get in through the aircon drain I believe. Pretty common problems for Terris unfortunately. Pull your glovebox out and you will likely find a chewed pipe and the buggers point of entry. Remove any water bottles you might have left in the car or food scraps. Also dont bait the rodent either as your likely have it die somewhere in the car, stinking it out and noway of finding where it is.
Yep, the glovebox is covered in ***** so you're on the money. I've just spent 2 hours vacuuming and wiping the car out with disinfectant and found lots of droppings. They have also chewed the seatbelt on my toddlers car seat.

Insurance have said they will cover it thankfully. Just hope they haven't done more damage that can't be seen.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back

Yeh i'm not a fan of putting baits out to get them, one died in the wifes Barina air vent, spewed all the way to work, and all the way home. The only time i would put baits out is if you put them away from the vehicle. A trap in/or around the vehicle sounds like the go. Try pumpkin seeds in the trap. Good luck.
Gypzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
snopony

Had this happen when I lived on a farm. Mice moved in to the car... I set one of those traps where they can get in but can't get out with peanut butter left in it. Got the whole mice family in one night.
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #10
bathurst-racer

I live on a farm too. My rat trap is a bucket 2/3rds filled with water and a layer of sunflower seeds floating on the water. The bucket is placed where the rats can walk along the rails of the shed and jump in to eat the seeds. I empty the bucket every couple of days and usually catch two or three each time.
bathurst-racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

snakes would fix this
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #12
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Get "The Big Cheese Mouse trap station" from bunnings etc. I have had 100% success rate and the trap is all contained. Catch and open up trap station and throw mouse away, reuse if multiple mice. Put the station in the car when not in use overnight maybe.

Good luck.
Another Big Cheese Bunnings product you could try is the ultra sonic repeller, run a extension cord into the car at night when you park it up and plug in the repeller, they emit ultra sonic sound waves driving the rodents away.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #13
bathurst-racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
snakes would fix this
Snakes in your workshop or barn are no laughing matter. Besides I already have a Cobra in there.
5 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #14
Spurious

Set mice traps in the areas the rodent has frequented. Even if you just go nuts at night & remove them in the morning.
Don't do anything to block it's path, ie; don't repair any damage just yet, just let mousey think it's life as normal.

I find peanut butter is the best. It emits an odour for a while & it is hard for the mice to remove from the trap without setting it off. (I've seen that many a time)

The mouse will definitely return to it's entry point during the day (deep in the dash I'd say) or if you're using the vehicle. It might have even escaped already if there's not enough food.

At this point if you have already used disinfectant, I'd go nuts during the daylight hours. Open all doors, remove the rear seat, glove box & anything else that's easily removed & refitted at the end of the day.
Then whilst it's stripped out, buy a few cans of Glen 20 & fumigate the car, especially the dash. Go nuts with the stuff. If mousy cannot breath it will escape even if you are standing right there.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #15
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Feed your Neighbours cat.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #16
bathurst-racer

I bought to kittens to be barn cats. Kept them inside mostly for six months and waited til they became quite big. I then put them in the barn at night. After a week I went there one morning to let them out and found one had been literally torn to shreds and the other was hiding behind a feed bin and scared spitless.
If I'm not home in time to feed the stock before dark then I don't feed anyone til morning.

Everyone has a predator and I'm not meeting whatever preys on what tore that cat apart.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #17
wozman

When we had a mice plague the cats ate half of the mice.the chickens had the rest lol
wozman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #18
IanC

They eat the insulation off the wiring. The PVC tastes sweet to them. This is a very common problem not only here but in the UK as well. My cousin had them under the bonnet of his Mini.

The manufacturers need to put cyanide into the PVC mix. That would fettle them.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post