Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-02-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

Default ex-pursuit?

hey just a quick one, im new to the forum and was wondering if anybody had much info on series 1 ex pursuit AU's? i've just brought one and was looking for some options on how to modify it. :thebirds:

FTe_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #2
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

y people buy ex cop cars is beyond me....they might be a little cheaper but theyre usually thrashed and crashed to the ИИИИ house
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:13 AM   #3
EvilChief
Boost Addict

hey hey nothing against ex coppas ... mind you mind did had an accident, but at least it was cheap
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVd_uP
y people buy ex cop cars is beyond me....they might be a little cheaper but theyre usually thrashed and crashed to the ИИИИ house
Same reason why people buy Ex Taxi's. Its a bargin. If the price is right. Have a look at the number of ex Taxi's bought on these forums. 2 of them (1 AU and the other an E-Series) are now running turbo's. The E-Series I beleive is running original engine.

In some cases these cars are re manufactured. They are put back through the factory and given new parts. They are basically rebuilt on the line. Armegeddon's AU went through this program. So while it may have been thrased, all those thrased parts are now brand new. So I don't see a problem. If he got it cheaply and its been remnaufactured then he got a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x-puursui7
hey just a quick one, im new to the forum and was wondering if anybody had much info on series 1 ex pursuit AU's? i've just brought one and was looking for some options on how to modify it. :thebirds:
Welcome to the forums. Theres a few people with Ex Pursuit cars on these forums and they all seem to be happy with them. I believe AU3 Chaser, but its a 6. I think JC's XR8 may have been an ex cop car as well.

Not sure who to ask for specific details. Casper would be a good person to ask. Other than that, don't really know. There will be some people who know.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
stock au
Need go fast bit's

well i own a series1 xr8 and all i know is speedo in 2km inc also able to calibrate speedo. Interior light kill switch on the dash, different shift points on the auto and no speedlimeter.I am still trying to find out more as mine never came with any of it's books
stock au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Maybe it's like an enthusiast pilot buying a vintage ex-air force fighter.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont really have anything agaist ex cop cars, its true u can get wicked deals on em without trying too hard, what bugs me is when people who by em use it as a bragging point for the car,.... I work at a ford dealer, and i see plenty of ex coppas come through, more often than not, theyre nothing worth bragging about thats for sure
Old 04-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I dont really have anything agaist ex cop cars, its true u can get wicked deals on em without trying too hard, what bugs me is when people who by em use it as a bragging point for the car,.... I work at a ford dealer, and i see plenty of ex coppas come through, more often than not, theyre nothing worth bragging about thats for sure
I see where you're coming from. So many people believe that they have a special chip etc. They are stck standard cars. Nothing special about them, apart from cluster and interior light (like in mine). Easiest way to check for a "police chip" is to look at the ECU and see if there's a chip plugged into the ECU. There won't be.

So...mine is an ex-NSW Cop car, and has a few marks from where police equipment was mounted, but overall it is a very good, reliable car, and to be honest, I don't think the coppers would have flogged it as hard as I do anyway.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
and to be honest, I don't think the coppers would have flogged it as hard as I do anyway.
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #10
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahah that line is gold JC
Old 04-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

That's no line - just being brutally honest.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 04-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Same reason why people buy Ex Taxi's. Its a bargin. If the price is right. Have a look at the number of ex Taxi's bought on these forums. 2 of them (1 AU and the other an E-Series) are now running turbo's. The E-Series I beleive is running original engine.

In some cases these cars are re manufactured. They are put back through the factory and given new parts. They are basically rebuilt on the line. Armegeddon's AU went through this program. So while it may have been thrased, all those thrased parts are now brand new. So I don't see a problem. If he got it cheaply and its been remnaufactured then he got a great deal.

Welcome to the forums. Theres a few people with Ex Pursuit cars on these forums and they all seem to be happy with them. I believe AU3 Chaser, but its a 6. I think JC's XR8 may have been an ex cop car as well.

Not sure who to ask for specific details. Casper would be a good person to ask. Other than that, don't really know. There will be some people who know.
What a load of ИИИИ... They are not rebuilt in any way, they are sent to the auctions with new tyres and brake pads, then sold off to dealers and or the public.. Just because Ford advertise them as Factory backed, that means nothing, all that means is that they have gone through Fords quality checklist, had 4 new tyres fitted to them and a service.. In no way are they put back near the factory... :

One of our mates had a blue AU XR8 ex NSW and drove the *** out of it for 60,000 kays, it never missed a beat, the only thing wrong with it was the paint.. :
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 04:24 AM   #13
AU-Hog

I don't know specifically about AU1s but my AU3 ex-cop car has OPT20 on the compliance plate and includes the following:
- Lowered suspension (XR6 height apparently)
- No speed limiter
- shift points for auto at redline
- 240 kmh speedo at 2kmh increments
- speedo calibration function
- Interior light kill switch
- LSD
- lots of disconnected wire ing connectors
- holes in various interior body locations
- disabled horn and hazard flasher from smartlock (this was reenabled by reconnecting 2 cut wires from BEM module under dash)
- cruise control and rear power windows (don't know if this is part of OPT20)
- lots of biro marks on interior
AU-Hog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-Hog
- Lowered suspension (XR6 height apparently)
- No speed limiter
- shift points for auto at redline
- 240 kmh speedo at 2kmh increments
- speedo calibration function
- Interior light kill switch
- LSD
How would the shift points be different from a stock (non-cop) car? My AU2 Forte shifts at red line if I hold it at WOT until the upchange. I doesn't hold if thottle position is only light though - does yours? If it does, I would say your transmission is buggered. It is NOT supposed to do that.

I doubt the No speed limiter bit. The speed limiter was put there for a reason - all auto AUs have a tailshaft that is longer than the manual version and is prone to flex at high speed, this is why they are speed limited. If yours is manual, then this would be the reason there's no speedlimiter - nothing to do with it being an ex-cop car.

The rest of it sounds like part of the police options.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #15
AU-Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
How would the shift points be different from a stock (non-cop) car? My AU2 Forte shifts at red line if I hold it at WOT until the upchange. I doesn't hold if thottle position is only light though - does yours? If it does, I would say your transmission is buggered. It is NOT supposed to do that.

I doubt the No speed limiter bit. The speed limiter was put there for a reason - all auto AUs have a tailshaft that is longer than the manual version and is prone to flex at high speed, this is why they are speed limited. If yours is manual, then this would be the reason there's no speedlimiter - nothing to do with it being an ex-cop car.

The rest of it sounds like part of the police options.
I have an AU3 Futura wagon auto as well and it definitely upchanges at lower revs at WOT in power mode. Econ mode I think there is not much difference.

The transmission on the ex-cop car isn't buggered, it changes firmly and quickly in power mode, fluid was fine at last service, and the engine doesn't hit the rev limiter under WOT.

The ex-cop car is an auto, but i've had it up to 200km/h on the speedo (long, staight open road, no other traffic) with no sign of a speed limiter operating. The speedo has been calibrated to 100Km/h within 1%.
AU-Hog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-Hog
I have an AU3 Futura wagon auto as well and it definitely upchanges at lower revs at WOT in power mode. Econ mode I think there is not much difference.

The transmission on the ex-cop car isn't buggered, it changes firmly and quickly in power mode, fluid was fine at last service, and the engine doesn't hit the rev limiter under WOT.

The ex-cop car is an auto, but i've had it up to 200km/h on the speedo (long, staight open road, no other traffic) with no sign of a speed limiter operating. The speedo has been calibrated to 100Km/h within 1%.
I reckon both my wagon I6 auto, and my ex-cop XR8 auto change at the same point (relatively) at WOT. Both will hit ther respective redlines. There is no difference in the changes unless I switch the shift kit on in the XR8 - then it will spin the wheels from first to second shift. BUT, I installed the 2 stage switchable shift kit, so I know what it was like standard - just the same as the 6.

My speedo is also callibrated very accurately - checking with GPS it is spot on (maybe 0.5 - to 1km/h her difference).

Must admit, I have gone nowhere near the speed limiter in my XR8, but it would not surprise me to find that the engine starts bouncing off it at 180ish. The XR series may have also got a better spec tailshaft, so the limiter is removed on all XR spec cars - including those cop cars (non-XR) running XR spec bits like suspension, tailshaft etc.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #17
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

One of my mates has a ED ex cop car, its seems to rev to the red line with 3/4 throttle & other ED's I've driven the foot has to be on the floor.. It also doesn't have a Speed Limiter, but I can't remember if ED's had them? EF's defiantly did..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #18
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

yeah i found out a bit about the speedo calibration a mate had another 1. this seems to be in fairly good nick its had a xr body kit put on it and i bought it with only 94k kms on it. im a "p" plater so im sure it will get a thrashing, and yeah i brought it cos of the money factor same condition xr8 over here in wa is bout 21k whereas i got mine for 12k. thanks for all the info though.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #19
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

Exclamation

also, the interior is in good nick yeah a couple of lines of biro on the roof near the visor, i heard that the cops optioned it with the tickford auto??? it also came with all the books that is how i new it was an ex cop car & the faint mark on the bonnet where the sticker was, but im planning to change the bonnet to series 2 with fairmont grille.
the only prob is theres a ticking noise that comes in after a while of driving its not mechanical its coming from behind the l/h head light i heard this is where the charcoal cannister is??? any help much appreciated as ppl look at it as though its stuffed and its a really nice looking car which breaks my heart
Old 06-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

That ticking is the charcoal canister. Ford can fix it - for about a week, then the ticking resumes. Just get a louder exhaust, and the ticking becomes unnoticeable.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #21
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
but im planning to change the bonnet to series 2 with fairmont grille.
is your car a forte v8 or an XR8
Old 06-02-2006, 02:53 PM   #22
Dan A

Quote:

I had an XR8 Ex Cop car, had it for a couple years, never had 1 issue with it...I bought a Brand new Jeep Limited and its had problems from day 1...hopefully soon to be replaced with an XR6T

Dan
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #23
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

its just a forte v8, yeah it came with an exhaust from the cats back just a hot dog, sounds sweeeeet sorta drones a 2000rpm but i can live with that. well im hoping not to have any probs thats y i brought it upgraded from an EB! the plans to put a smallish supercharger on there hopefuly that'll stop the tick! does any1 no of somw small mods before the supercharger to give it a bit more?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:51 AM   #24
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Thumbs up The Great Debate

Quote:
Mmmm ,interesting you hear people brag about them & other people say "gutter jumps & they are flogged out". I honestly believe it just comes down to the right car some will be looked after & others not as well. The same applies to lease cars. I must say a mate of mine bought an AUIII 220kw car from the auctions, well 2 actually 1 for him & the other for his business partner & they were fine!!! Oh & they don't have a speed limiter. Like anyone else buying a car , hope you got a good one.