Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #31
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: murder charge for deliberate head on

It's a common way of doing it, most people choose an oncoming truck from my experience (attending the aftermath, not attempting it).
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #32
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Takes a special type of **** to take innocent others with you.

Poor poppa... think you couldn't make the link between manslaughter and murder being for the same incident.....all good, even the best contributors can have a moment
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2015, 12:08 AM   #33
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

There was just the one incident and yes it was a suicide attempt that became murder. While there are some tragic personal circumstances pertaining to the offender it really doesn't excuse his behaviour.
Old 17-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #34
zilo
BANNED

Hopefully the guy will get some psychiatric help rather than just be locked up and the problem conveniently hidden away.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2015, 12:04 AM   #35
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While a person may suffer quite a lot of struggle in life, I fell nothing for them if they are so selfish that they try to kill themselves by crashing into a completely innocent person or persons. I don't think anyone should have to feel that way in the first place but unfortunately some do.

The one or many they hit may have a bright and vibrant, a quite ordinary or even a complete ****house life but it is not on them.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2015, 12:50 AM   #36
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

I am prepared to allow discussion on this awful topic but if you are not going to make a valuable contribution, you may as well make no contribution.

I have deleted posts that quoted a post I deemed beyond the pale.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2015, 12:57 AM   #37
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Victorian Coroner said around 50% of single vehicle crashes are SUICIDES! Also crashes into trucks.
Said they do not go down as such in the books, probably as "speed related", as family arent ever happy with that diagnosis, and there is not proof in most cases of suicide. However they find depression etc is the cause mostly.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2015, 01:03 AM   #38
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
The Victorian Coroner said around 50% of single vehicle crashes are SUICIDES! Also crashes into trucks.
Said they do not go down as such in the books, probably as "speed related", as family arent ever happy with that diagnosis, and there is not proof in most cases of suicide. However they find depression etc is the cause mostly.
I don't doubt it.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #39
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The political correct, softly softly approach in dealing with this type of thing has me buggered, as much as reason as to why out judicial system hands out slaps on the wrist.

A guy that selfishly murders two young people...and "we" feel sorry for him and hope we can help him with his problems.

I read the article and though WOW, what the world coming to...but the then our political correct responses here are as bad. He's the victim! WTF?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #40
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I wouldn't call your deleted post anything like an 'Adult Discussion'.

Last edited by nuthin' fancy; 18-07-2015 at 07:56 PM.
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #41
STINKY NINJA
Banned

If 36 is considered young these days then my life has only just begun!
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2015, 11:55 AM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Hopefully the guy will get some psychiatric help rather than just be locked up and the problem conveniently hidden away.
The problem is if he gets locked away for say 5-10 years. Comes out and he is still in the same mindset he will do it again. So while he needs to be punished he also does need to rehabilitated mentally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The political correct, softly softly approach in dealing with this type of thing has me buggered, as much as reason as to why out judicial system hands out slaps on the wrist.

A guy that selfishly murders two young people...and "we" feel sorry for him and hope we can help him with his problems.

I read the article and though WOW, what the world coming to...but the then our political correct responses here are as bad. He's the victim! WTF?
So give the guy life...this will stop the next person doing it how?

You want to stop/reduce this from happening. Your comment is the same as speed cameras save lives.
Old 20-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #43
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
So give the guy life...this will stop the next person doing it how?
Unlikely; as this type of suicide is usually on momentary impulse not premeditated or thought through.

Quote:
Your comment is the same as speed cameras save lives.
I don't follow your logic or what your point was, but in any event, the research shows speed cameras do save lives.
Old 20-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #44
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

BTW remember he has only been charged so far; not yet proved guilty.
Old 20-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Unlikely; as this type of suicide is usually on momentary impulse not premeditated or thought through.
That was my point.
Old 20-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #46
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Says who ?
Old 20-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #47
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Says who ?

I could find any definitive research finding on this one; just something I thought I learnt in my Suicide Gatekeeper training - but it maybe a myth and simply because I know personally (no not me) of an attempt situation where this was the case.

I guess it is also about the level of detailed planning. By their nature suicide by head on collision must be preceded by less elaborate and extensive planning as nobody can pre-plan what vehicle they will hit, when the collision will occur and how certain the outcome will be (how successful evasive action by the other driver may be). Most other forms of suicide usually involve more elaborate plans and suicide notes etc (not that all head on collision suicide attempts don't involve suicide notes) and when involving males have more certain outcomes.

As some of the following suggest, in some case where drugs and alcohol are also involved (as was I understand in the case in question that started this thread) what is termed "unconscious suicide" may be involved - living a destructive life style that is almost certainly likely to end in death (and where the person involved may or may not be aware of this).

Follow up research. http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/...ournalCode=ajp
http://www.fsijournal.org/article/S0...177-6/abstract
https://books.google.com.au/books?hl...page&q&f=false
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...33318285728204
Old 20-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #48
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I could find any definitive research finding on this one; just something I thought I learnt in my Suicide Gatekeeper training - but it maybe a myth and simply because I know personally (no not me) of an attempt situation where this was the case.

I guess it is also about the level of detailed planning. By their nature suicide by head on collision must be preceded by less elaborate and extensive planning as nobody can pre-plan what vehicle they will hit, when the collision will occur and how certain the outcome will be (how successful evasive action by the other driver may be). Most other forms of suicide usually involve more elaborate plans and suicide notes etc (not that all head on collision suicide attempts don't involve suicide notes) and when involving males have more certain outcomes.

As some of the following suggest, in some case where drugs and alcohol are also involved (as was I understand in the case in question that started this thread) what is termed "unconscious suicide" may be involved - living a destructive life style that is almost certainly likely to end in death (and where the person involved may or may not be aware of this).

Follow up research. http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/...ournalCode=ajp
http://www.fsijournal.org/article/S0...177-6/abstract
https://books.google.com.au/books?hl...page&q&f=false
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...33318285728204
I disagree, I think it is more premeditated than what you would think. The situations I know of, the people have driven along for some time until a suitable vehicle has come the other way (almost always a large truck) and then bang they throw their vehicle into the path of the truck leaving the driver no opportunity to avoid.

The people that choose the truck are the ones that really want to end it, those that choose an oncoming car, well I'm not so sure (I'm no expert, but I've been to more suicides than I care to remember).

Quote:
By their nature suicide by head on collision must be preceded by less elaborate and extensive planning as nobody can pre-plan what vehicle they will hit, when the collision will occur and how certain the outcome
They can and they do, by choosing trucks, hard to take evasive action and the outcome is certain.
Old 20-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #49
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

In any event, I have more sympathy for someone who judgement and decision making is impaired by psychiatric issues and has a head on collision that the selfish texting or otherwise mobile phone users who appear to now cause more such collisions.