Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #31
nstg8a

Default Re: The problem with Holden sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
I can't understand people that play tight on prices when they are already investing so much on a new car. If you can afford $36990 on a new car, what's another $5000 or $10000? I would never buy a car on price only. That's a lot of money to spend only to be stuck with something that you didn't really want.
That statement seems kinda odd considering your list of cars in your signature.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #32
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Captiva Series 1 was Daewoo. Series 2 was the change over from Daewoo to GM and the MY16 is GM platform with Aussie design imput. I bought on price, so do most people,unless they have $$$$ to spare. Comparable SUV's are $10k plus more. Kuga Titanium is $50k and the tech pack is a $1300 option,(should be included in Titanium) whats in the tech pack is standard on the LTZ!!Its value for the money, projector headlights, LED tail lights, 2.2 diesel not the 2.0 diesel, heated leather seats, keyless entry, 8 way electric drivers seat, its a 7 seater, seats fold to flat to the floor, not fold to the side as Toyota, 2cnd row recline.etc etc I know 4 people with either the Series 1 or Series 2 and had no problems. Yes, there can problems with any car. Ford's CVT was an outstanding success !!!! Territory ball joints,I will see if my choice was good or not....and for us ole farts, getting in is easier, just step in, easy on the joints...
The platform has not changed since 2006 when it was released.
They've extensively updated the gadgets and restyled it twice,but make no mistake it is still a deawoo.

What's the saying about lipstick on a pig?
Old 05-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #33
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Captiva Series 1 was Daewoo. Series 2 was the change over from Daewoo to GM and the MY16 is GM platform with Aussie design imput. I bought on price, so do most people,unless they have $$$$ to spare.
I think you're one model year too early in claiming it's a GM platform with some Aussie HB pencil involvement..
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #34
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Go out and have a look. How many of the VFs on the roads these days are actually V8s? I know in NZ almost 80% of the commo's I see here are V6s. Plus, V6 Twin Turbo? SIGN ME UP!!!! I've still got high hopes for the Mondeo 2.7TT V6 AWD, I imagine it'll lag slightly behind the Insignia in performance, but if current Mondeo (and ford in general) styling trends are anything to go by, the new Mondeo will be one heck of a looker.

Also to the guy below who said that younger buyers don't idolise the V8 he's 100% bang on. I mean I love V8s, who doesn't, but I never grew up owning one, I grew up in a family with 1.8L or 2L 4 bangers, like literally everyone else this generation. I understand the appeal of a V8 RWD, but tbh AWD is far superior to RWD and most of us have never actually owned a V8, so we can't miss what we never had. Honestly, I do wish I was born in the 50s and grew up in a period where gas was cheap, the economy was great and running a big V8 was very affordable. Today however, I'd prefer to not have fuel expenditure rivalling the annual budget of a small African nation.

in NZ i dont doubt your opinion, however in oz there is a fair take up of V8 SS commodores & that's without local hwy partol unit sales as well.
in my work carpark the majority of commodores as V8's & you have to remember our fuel price here is about $2 cheaper than in NZ.

It still amazes me here how many of the holden fans dont know there will be no v8 or rwd platform come 2017, most have heard the commodore is staying & have focused on the name only.. there will be some very shocked holden fans come 2017.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #35
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
That statement seems kinda odd considering your list of cars in your signature.
Can I ask why it seems odd? Is it because I haven't bought a new car? If it is, why does that preclude me from talking about others who do?
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #36
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I think you're one model year too early in claiming it's a GM platform with some Aussie HB pencil involvement..
Agreed, the Captiva from 2006 to now has been based on the one platform, with several updates & powertrain changes. However those who call it a 'Daewoo' are wide of the mark.

Daewoo as an independent car maker ceased to be in 2001 when they basically went broke & the remains were purchased by GM & reorganised. A similar fate befell Kia which was taken up by Hyundai around the same time.

Each new platform after that time had progressively less Daewoo DNA. By the time that the Captiva was introduced any Daewoo involvement had long ceased. I believe that the last Daewoo was the Holden Viva

OK, it was now GM Korea using some of the old design staff, but it was GM who controlled things. To my knowledge all the engines & gearboxes were international GM offerings, like Ecotec motors & GM Powertrain (Turbo-Hydro) transmissions. The Diesel engines for example are basically VM Motori, also used by many European car manufacturers. The current petrol V6 is essentially the same SIDI engine as seen in Commodores & is manufacturers in Melbourne. The earlier Captiva's V6 was the Alloytec unit, also built in Melbourne.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #37
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Agreed, the Captiva from 2006 to now has been based on the one platform, with several updates & powertrain changes. However those who call it a 'Daewoo' are wide of the mark.

Daewoo as an independent car maker ceased to be in 2001 when they basically went broke & the remains were purchased by GM & reorganised. A similar fate befell Kia which was taken up by Hyundai around the same time.

Each new platform after that time had progressively less Daewoo DNA. By the time that the Captiva was introduced any Daewoo involvement had long ceased. I believe that the last Daewoo was the Holden Viva

OK, it was now GM Korea using some of the old design staff, but it was GM who controlled things. To my knowledge all the engines & gearboxes were international GM offerings, like Ecotec motors & GM Powertrain (Turbo-Hydro) transmissions. The Diesel engines for example are basically VM Motori, also used by many European car manufacturers. The current petrol V6 is essentially the same SIDI engine as seen in Commodores & is manufacturers in Melbourne. The earlier Captiva's V6 was the Alloytec unit, also built in Melbourne.

Dr Terry
From wickipedia:
"The Chevrolet Captiva is a sport utility vehicle (SUV) that was developed by the South Korean manufacturer Daewoo, and has been sold by Chevrolet since 2006."

Deawoo used gm supplied engines all the way through,usually from Australia.
The long and short of how gm came to own them was that deawoo couldn't afford to pay for the engines that holden had been supplying them, so when the poop hit the fan gm were the biggest creditors and took them over rather than just taking a bath on them.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #38
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In 3 weeks driven 1,500kms, average 9.1l/100kms. Holden claim 8.5l/100kms..Impressive!!..No rattles , nothing has failed.
So you live in the bush, drive a diesel and it still can't match let alone beat the manufacturers figures?

My XR8 has done 4,500km, the manufacturer claim is 13.7/100 and I'm getting 10.8/100.

My dealer has a diesel Territory on the floor for $40k, a whole 3 grand more. I know which of those two will last longer and be the better car.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #39
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mercury Bullet..is it a Titanium?? More like a TX or demo TS...Check the Captiva LTZ specs!!! It is value for the $$$$$. Wont have to worry about collapsing ball joints !!!! LOL...
Old 05-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #40
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This reflects wider issue in car buying criteria for non enthusiasts . Gadget count is supposed to equal a better car. Yes it does have a camera (which is of a poor quality ) , high number of speakers ,parking sensors , keyless entry without start button but suspension tune is awful , steering horrible and engine is noisy and loves a drink . Captiva is a gadget special that fails on main criteria which is the way it drives , not to mention build quality. . Captiva sells against smaller competitors like CX5 ,X-Trail or RAV4 as a value proposition - it absolutely has no hope against Territory ,Kluger or Sorrento.
It is also probably the most recalled car on the market.
https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/i.../itemId/952863

Last edited by SumoDog68; 05-06-2016 at 06:34 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #41
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
A Captiva and an Accent sitting beside each other on your driveway? Dude, I think you're on the wrong forum...
Wonder what you would say about me. We have got a 2014 FPV GT, a 2014 smart car and a 2015 Holden Barina Spark.

The Barina is a pleasure to drive, it has now got 4500 trouble free k's on the clock and we have got free servicing until 2020.

The smart car is my daily and it us just a bag of fun to drive with flappy paddle gear shifts and I get 4.5 litres per 100ks out of it.

The GT is just *********g awesome to drive lol.

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #42
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post
Wonder what you would say about me. We have got a 2014 FPV GT, a 2014 smart car and a 2015 Holden Barina Spark.

The Barina is a pleasure to drive, it has now got 4500 trouble free k's on the clock and we have got free servicing until 2020.

The smart car is my daily and it us just a bag of fun to drive with flappy paddle gear shifts and I get 4.5 litres per 100ks out of it.

The GT is just *********g awesome to drive lol.

Cheers Mike
Well I'm just a fan of anything even vaugly unique and/or well engineered. The Barina meets neither criteria and is a good example of motoring mediocrity. Your other two cars I would say do meet the criteria on some level and make sense to me as choices an enthusiast would make. A captiva and any Hyundai though? No self respecting enthusiast would ever choose to own such prime examples of automotive banality.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #43
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love it when motoring enthusiasts get so bent out of shape when another motorist isn't an enthusiast, and doesn't think about cars the way they think they should. Of course it means the non enthusiast must have questionable morals/sexuality/outlook on life.....

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 06-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #44
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
I love it when motoring enthusiasts get so bent out of shape when another motorist isn't an enthusiast, and doesn't think about cars the way they think they should. Of course it means the non enthusiast must have questionable morals/sexuality/outlook on life.....
Not sure what you're getting at or if that was a dig at me, but I'll just say feel like I have a pretty good understanding on what the average motorist looks for/needs out of a car. I think the blindingly obvious point to make however, is that average motorists don't usually participate in car-orientated internet forums....
Old 06-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #45
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Not sure what you're getting at or if that was a dig at me, but I'll just say feel like I have a pretty good understanding on what the average motorist looks for/needs out of a car. I think the blindingly obvious point to make however, is that average motorists don't usually participate in car-orientated internet forums....
No mate, just a general observation.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 06-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #46
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
No mate, just a general observation.
Oh good, I must admit I have made similar observations myself.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #47
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
I can't understand people that play tight on prices when they are already investing so much on a new car. If you can afford $36990 on a new car, what's another $5000 or $10000? I would never buy a car on price only. That's a lot of money to spend only to be stuck with something that you didn't really want.
Agreed. Unfortunately, a lot of people are cheapskates who aren't prepared to pay more for a better product.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #48
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt View Post
From wickipedia:
"The Chevrolet Captiva is a sport utility vehicle (SUV) that was developed by the South Korean manufacturer Daewoo, and has been sold by Chevrolet since 2006."
Typical Wikipedia inaccuracy ! It was Daewoo in name only. Daewoo as a company ceased in 2001 when GM took over.

This means essentially that the line :-

"The Chevrolet Captiva is a sport utility vehicle (SUV) that was developed by the South Korean manufacturer Daewoo" should read :-

"The Chevrolet Captiva is a sport utility vehicle (SUV) that was developed by the South Korean manufacturer GM Korea, formally known as Daewoo.

Put simply the Captiva platform had no connection with the Daewoo of old.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #49
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sumodog 68..Quote..This reflects wider issue in car buying criteria for non enthusiasts . Gadget count is supposed to equal a better car. Yes it does have a camera (which is of a poor quality ) mine has a sharp image , high number of speakers ,parking sensors , keyless entry without start button but suspension tune is awful(its a SUV !! not a luxo barge) , steering horrible and engine is noisy (the diesel is quiet, yes I know its a diesel but its not intrusive, radio is on volume 7) and loves a drink ( mine is averaging 9.1l/100kms) . Captiva is a gadget special that fails on main criteria which is the way it drives , not to mention build quality. . Captiva sells against smaller competitors like CX5 ,X-Trail or RAV4 as a value proposition - it absolutely has no hope against Territory ,Kluger or Sorrento.My comment : Everyone compares the MY16 Captiva with previous models, its a different vehicle. Go check one out, take it for a drive, you will be suprised, I was..and its great for us oldies to get in and out of.
It is also probably the most recalled car on the market.(JEEP is the most recalled)https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/i.../itemId/952865

Last edited by csv8; 07-06-2016 at 10:53 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #50
Bossxr8
Peter Car

You aren't going to win this argument. It's a heap of ****.

Only bought by tightarses and idiots who think it's built in Australia cause Holden mate.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #51
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Typical Wikipedia inaccuracy ! It was Daewoo in name only. Daewoo as a company ceased in 2001 when GM took over.

This means essentially that the line :-

"The Chevrolet Captiva is a sport utility vehicle (SUV) that was developed by the South Korean manufacturer Daewoo" should read :-

"The Chevrolet Captiva is a sport utility vehicle (SUV) that was developed by the South Korean manufacturer GM Korea, formally known as Daewoo.

Put simply the Captiva platform had no connection with the Daewoo of old.

Dr Terry
So the Korean arm of gm which is called deawoo and is a continuation of the company of the same name designed and engineered captiva's from the ground up, yet they are not a deawoo?
OK.

What do you think the lead time on a brand new body would be ( especially given they'd never built this type of car before), 5 years?
It was displayed in 04,released in 06, gm took over in 01.
Did they sack the entire company the day they took over and restaff them with thier own, or were the same engineers and design staff that oversaw the design of awesome cars like the kalos and nubira still on deck?
I think the reliability record and superb build quality of the captive answers that question.

Development of this lemon was all deawoo, gm themselves came out and said that the cruise was the first fully gm developed car to come out of sth korea.

Last edited by apolloxbgt; 07-06-2016 at 03:57 PM.
apolloxbgt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #52
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who do you think has done a better job of selling imported product in the past?

Ford had Taurus, Probe, Cougar, Mondeo, Fiesta etc. Holden has had Jackaroo, Captiva, Barina Epica.

Not sure who gets my vote.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #53
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sumodog 68..Quote..This reflects wider issue in car buying criteria for non enthusiasts . Gadget count is supposed to equal a better car. Yes it does have a camera (which is of a poor quality ) mine has a sharp image , high number of speakers ,parking sensors , keyless entry without start button but suspension tune is awful(its a SUV !! not a luxo barge) , steering horrible and engine is noisy (the diesel is quiet, yes I know its a diesel but its not intrusive, radio is on volume 7) and loves a drink ( mine is averaging 9.1l/100kms) . Captiva is a gadget special that fails on main criteria which is the way it drives , not to mention build quality. . Captiva sells against smaller competitors like CX5 ,X-Trail or RAV4 as a value proposition - it absolutely has no hope against Territory ,Kluger or Sorrento.My comment : Everyone compares the MY16 Captiva with previous models, its a different vehicle. Go check one out, take it for a drive, you will be suprised, I was..and its great for us oldies to get in and out of.
It is also probably the most recalled car on the market.(JEEP is the most recalled)https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/i.../itemId/952865
That's a little unfair, your comparing all Jeep models vs a single model Captiva. I have a MY15 Grand Cherokee diesel (Motori sourced like the Captiva) that hasn't had a single recall and it's economy is circa 8.4l/100 which is pretty decent for a big barge.

I'd say, just like the Falcon, the Captiva has been around for many years now and as time goes by, the issues get ironed out and what you have now will easily see you through 5+ years of reliable motoring.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #54
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spammy you forgot Astra, Trax, Colorado 7, Malibu, Viva, Vectra. Cascada,
Old 08-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #55
jgmdat

Quote:
Any chance you could take that truck and caravan in your avatar and head out somewhere with no internet and give us all a break for a while.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #56
Magee

I have to throw my support behind CVS8 here. Whilst I consider myself a Ford man and my last 3 new cars have been Fords, AU Futra, BA XR6 and FG2 G6E we did buy for my wife a new Holden Captiva in 2008. I was against it but my wife loved it. It was good value for money and my thinking was wife is happy and since it is new with 3 warranty, Holden will have to fix any problems that come up. We sold it in 2014 after 60,00O trouble free Km. We enjoyed our Captiva and I sometimes actually miss it. But to avoid any life time ban on this Forum I promise not to buy another one.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post