Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default 1.0-Liter Ford EcoBoost Wins Best Small Engine ‘Oscar’ for 5th Year Running

Ford’s 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine is named 2016 International Engine of the Year “Best Engine Under 1.0-liter” for the fifth consecutive year – despite increased competition from major global automotive manufacturers in the sub-1.0-liter class

Ford achieves ninth win for fuel-efficient and sporty engine, previously overall winner a record three times, and best newcomer

Ground-breaking 1.0-liter EcoBoost is class winner for drivability, performance, economy, refinement and technology

MELBOURNE, June 2, 2016 Ford’s tiny yet powerful 1.0‑liter EcoBoost engine has been voted best in class at the International Engine of the Year Awards for the fifth year in a row. Judges praised its combination of drivability, performance, economy, refinement and technology that continues to set the standard.
The frugal three-cylinder EcoBoost engine was named “Best Engine Under 1.0-liter” by a panel of 65 automotive journalists from 31 countries, meaning that it has won in its class every year since its launch. This year it finished ahead of 32 competitor engines, 19 more than it competed against in 2012. Significantly, 2015 also saw an increase in competition from global automotive manufacturers of sub-1.0-liter, turbocharged engines with direct fuel injection.
In 2014, the 1.0-liter EcoBoost became the first engine to be named overall International Engine of the Year for a third time in a row. In 2012 it was also named “Best New Engine.”

“The 1.0-liter EcoBoost was a game-changer, and despite others following our lead, it remains the undisputed benchmark in its class five years on,” said Trevor Worthington, vice president, Product Development, Ford Asia Pacific. “It represents how we continue to innovate to bring our customers the mileage they need and the power they want in Asia Pacific with more EcoBoost engines across our growing product lineup.”

Available in 72 countries worldwide, the power-dense 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine has challenged drivers’ perceptions of the capabilities of smaller engines: A road-legal Formula Ford race car fitted with a high-output version of the engine lapped Germany’s famous Nürburgring circuit in 7 minutes 22 seconds, putting it ahead of a host of supercars including the 600+ horsepower Lamborghini Aventador, Ferrari Enzo and Pagani Zonda.
In Australia, Ford offers the award-winning 1.0L EcoBoost in the Fiesta and EcoSport. Other EcoBoost engines are also available in the Ford Kuga, Mondeo, Falcon, Fiesta ST, Focus, Focus ST, and Mustang.

Globally, Ford’s range of powerful yet fuel-efficient EcoBoost engines includes 1.5-liter, 1.6‑liter, 2.0-liter and 2.3-liter four-cylinder engines, and 2.7-liter and 3.5-liter V6 engines. The last of these powers the all-new Ford GT supercar, which will return to racing in Le Mans later this month.
In response to growing consumer demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles in Asia Pacific, EcoBoost engines are now available in more than 20 vehicles, a five-fold increase from 2012. Last year, one in four Ford vehicles purchased in Asia Pacific were equipped with EcoBoost engines.

Australian drivers are embracing Ford’s efficient and powerful EcoBoost technology as sales of the engine across the line-up more than doubled in the first quarter compared to this time last year.
“That it’s won the overall award three times and keeps getting the jurors’ votes now highlights just how special Ford’s 1.0-liter EcoBoost is,” said Dean Slavnich, co-chairman of the 18th International Engine of the Year awards held in Stuttgart, Germany, and editor-in-chief of Engine Technology International magazine. “It’s a fantastic testament to how down-sizing and greater fuel efficiency needn’t mean sacrifice in other areas like power, refinement and drivability, and can even help enhance these elements.”

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 1.0-Liter Ford EcoBoost Wins Best Small Engine ‘Oscar’ for 5th Year Running

Bloody fantastic news Ford.....Well done!!!

I have not seen any of these on aussie roads yet, would love to test drive one.

Last edited by GASWAGON; 09-06-2016 at 12:14 PM.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 1.0-Liter Ford EcoBoost Wins Best Small Engine ‘Oscar’ for 5th Year Running

I drove an Ecosport loan car that admittedly didn't set the world on fire, but what do you expect.
I didn't bother to check what engine it had. but I have a feeling it was the 1.5 n/a

On paper the same car has the 1.0 Eco boost with has more power and Torque delivered at similar RPM.

Can somebody tell me why you wouldn't get the Eco boost are they more expensive?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #4
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I drove a 1.2L Skoda Fabia a month ago and I was impressed with it. It felt like it had mord than 66kw. 4-cylinder and 200cc more, but still impressive nonetheless. I'd be curious to see how this engine goes.

My only experience with a 3-cylinder was in a Suzuki Alto and that engine I found to be a piece of junk. It was so slow and also idled like it had a huge misfire.

As I understand, rough idle is a characteristic of 3-cylinder engines, so I'd be curious to experience how Ford, if at all, have addressed this trait.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
I drove a 1.2L Skoda Fabia a month ago and I was impressed with it. It felt like it had mord than 66kw. 4-cylinder and 200cc more, but still impressive nonetheless. I'd be curious to see how this engine goes.

My only experience with a 3-cylinder was in a Suzuki Alto and that engine I found to be a piece of junk. It was so slow and also idled like it had a huge misfire.

As I understand, rough idle is a characteristic of 3-cylinder engines, so I'd be curious to experience how Ford, if at all, have addressed this trait.
Have had a similar experience in my parent's 77TSI Polo. Combined with the 7spd DSG the car feels more powerful than it is.

I have driven a 3 cylinder Alfa Mito, makes a lot of noise and not a bad one at that, goes ok, but not the fastest thing around.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took a somewhat older Fiesta for a drive and was impressed with how zippy it was, I wouldn't mind giving one of these a run.

That said, I don't think I could have such a small car for myself. Might encourage the gf next time she is car shopping. Rego on a 3 cylinder has to be cheap!
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Its the way of the future no doubt.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I drove an Ecosport loan car that admittedly didn't set the world on fire, but what do you expect.
I didn't bother to check what engine it had. but I have a feeling it was the 1.5 n/a

On paper the same car has the 1.0 Eco boost with has more power and Torque delivered at similar RPM.

Can somebody tell me why you wouldn't get the Eco boost are they more expensive?
The I3 EcoBoost can also be had as a manual in the EcoSport for some stupid reason, limiting its appeal for auto-loving small SUV buyers.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #9
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The I3 EcoBoost can also be had as a manual in the EcoSport for some stupid reason, limiting its appeal for auto-loving small SUV buyers.
Of course there's a manual option for such a sports car.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #10
DK30RB

Had an Ecosport 1.5 litre for 3 days while the Ecoboost falcon was in service.

Great around town, but was overworked on the freeway. In the end after 3 days its average fuel usage was up around 8.6 litres/100. Much more than the ecoboost falcon.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #11
xr6turboford

I have the 1.0 EcoBoost in manual, while its no speed monster it does the job its designed to do. That is to get me where I'm going to with good fuel economy (5.7lt/100km) and most of my driving is to and from work which is less than 10km. Plus it's amazingly quite so I can crank up the music Pink Floyd of course and enjoy the drive. So if you need quite, comfy and cheap to run car then definitely have a look at the Festiva EcoBoost you will be pleasantly surprised.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #12
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the Fiesta 1.0 manual was fun to drive. I wouldn't buy one, but it's surprisingly good.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post