Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2016, 12:29 AM   #1
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Default Jaguar F-Type R

On Monday I'll get the chance to fang a 2015 Jag F-Type R for an hour or so. I'm not sure yet whether it'll be RWD or AWD, but either way it should be fun!

I'll do a bit of a write up and post a few pics as well.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2016, 12:36 AM   #2
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 
Default Re: Jaguar F-Type R

Drive it like you stole it!!!

Lucky Bugger...

Have fun & be safe!
Old 06-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You lucky B******
Old 08-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Patty

Nice!!! See if you take a video from inside the car with the noise at full acceleration.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Hi guys

So, I had drive for just over an hour in this beast. It was an MY15 404kw RWD F-Type R. Here are some of my thoughts.

INTERIOR:

Quality, quality, quality! I can't emphasise that enough! It was simply gorgeous inside. Jaguar need to give Lexus a lesson or two in designing an ergonomically practical, whilst aesthetically stunning interior/dash.

Having driven a current model Range Rover Sport, the dash of the Jag certainly shared a lot of similarities with its big sister. The infotainment screen was the same as was a lot of the switch gear.

The seats were wicked - so comfortable and had just about every adjustment you could want. The seats go back a fair way, so blokes well over 6'0" wouldn't be cramped. The steering wheel had a heated function which was a nice touch, if not a bit of a gimmick.

9/10

ENGINE:

Wow! What a beast. I've never had the opportunity to drive a Miami, so I have no baseline to measure what one should expect from five litres from a quad cam bent-eight force fed by a supercharger. So, if the Miamis are even half as good as this donk, then Ford have produced a gem.

I fired this bad boy up and immediately realised that it wasn't going to sound like an Aussie/American V8. It had a sharp, raspy bark to it. I hit the 'dynamic' button and it opened up the flaps (I assume) to have a deeper growl at idle. It sounded tough then!

I took off from idle and felt the urgency if this thing; the engine was just screaming to get out! Driving up the Freeway I mashed the throttle at 100km/h and the grunt was just phenomenal! I could feel the **** end wriggle a squirm.

Through the hills the grunt was irrepressible. I had to be very careful when applying throttle or the tail would just wwnt to kick out. This thing BY FAR has it over the M4 and Lexus RC-F in a straight line. The low down torque, the linear power right through the rev band. It was orgasmic! I'm juet not sure about all of the snap, crackle and pop on downshifting, though.

9.5/10

DYNAMICS:

Okay. So let's make one thing clear here - this thing is heavy. I believe it's around the 1,800kg mark, and that's in RWD format! It felt a tad bulky and heavy on the road in the same way that the Lexus did. That is to say that it felt perfectly planted on the road, just a little heavy.

After giving this thing a nice working through the twisties, I was curious to see how the brakes would fare. The didn't look to be overly big; they seemed to have four piston or perhaps even twin (?) caliper fronts and single rears. They discs were very large, albeit only vented not cross drilled.

The initial bite wasn't what I'd call agressive. The braking is progressive without being exceptional. I never got them to fade, even when braking hard from speed, but they never really gave me the same feeling of being almost bullet proof like the M4 and Lexus.

The handling of this thing was really very good. It was solid without being bone jarring, the ride was quite complacent over bumps yet the chassis seemed to hang on quite well when being pushed. The sticky Pirelli Corsa 295 rears and 255 fronts certainly helped keep the big cat on the road.

At higher speed this thing felt a tad twitchy. It was relatively responsive to quick and changing steering inputs, but the throttle had to be heavily modulated or this beast would have had a serious tantrum. I didn't have the balls to switch off DSC when pushing hard - I don't have a spare quarter mill if I bust this vehicle! Haha.

I can see why Jag went down the AWD route for this and many of their other cars. I would have felt so much more confident to push harder if the bum didn't have the propensity to wiggle so much!

8/10

VERDICT:

A fantastic car which sounds tough, goes like the clappers and looks about as stunning as a car possibly look. It was a real head turner, with many poeple taking a second glance from inside their car. It's a classy vehicle with all the bells and whistles and it'll get you noticed, even in the s****y eastern suburbs of Adelaide.

8.5/10

Last edited by Cobra; 10-11-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Enjoyed reading that review mate, well done.
If I was in the market for one, it would definitely have to be the RWD version though

Next car on your list should be a Miami powered GT so you can compare the 2 motors... but also remember the Jag does benefit from 2 extra cogs and tighter gearing.

How loud was the supercharger whine in the cabin ?

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #7
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You left out the price, but yes a gorgeous looking car.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #8
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
You left out the price, but yes a gorgeous looking car.
IF you have to ask, you can't afford!
3 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2016, 11:53 PM   #9
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
Enjoyed reading that review mate, well done.
If I was in the market for one, it would definitely have to be the RWD version though

Next car on your list should be a Miami powered GT so you can compare the 2 motors... but also remember the Jag does benefit from 2 extra cogs and tighter gearing.

How loud was the supercharger whine in the cabin ?
I'd love to drive a Miami one day. Here's hoping!

Sorry to disappoint but the supercharger whine was almost non-existent. The exhaust was pretty loud, though!
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #10
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Great review mate. I really enjoyed it. I'll probably never get the chance to drive this car but your write-up gave me the opportunity to be there for myself.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #11
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very interested in the F-Type - excellent review, love the writing style, reminds me of an early wheels write up - put's you behind the wheel and doesn't let go.

Pricing wise - well $250K as a starting point not including the option list - but these cars come fairly heavily loaded.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #12
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
IF you have to ask, you can't afford!
One powerball...
Old 09-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool machine , it would make a nice daily .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr View Post
Very interested in the F-Type - excellent review, love the writing style, reminds me of an early wheels write up - put's you behind the wheel and doesn't let go.

Pricing wise - well $250K as a starting point not including the option list - but these cars come fairly heavily loaded.
Thanks! I'm no journalist, but I do try and write stuff in a fun and impassioned manner. I figure it's better to do that and risk coming across as a pretentious douche who takes himself too seriousy than write in a boring, nonchalant manner.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #15
XR8AU2121

For those interested there is a similar one for auction at Pickles Prestige Auction in Melbourne on the 15 August, 2016.
It is a 2014 3 lt Supercharged F Type with 20,000 odd kms.
XR8AU2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #16
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6cyl manual would be the pick of the litter

half the cost, and that sound
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #17
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J1m3oOqtqc
Old 10-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #18
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I've driven a V6 S Cab and it was chalk and cheese between the two. The V8 sounds a lot better (V6 was also raspy) and the grunt between the two were worlds apart.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:16 AM   #19
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So which did you like better?
Old 10-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

What a chance, such a stunning looking car aswell. Kudos! Nothing better then getting the opportunity to drive something you might not be able to afford. I had a 10 minute drive in an Audi RS6 Avant on Monday, its like my car hero and they say never meet them but dear god it was everything i expected and more, brutal!
Old 10-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #21
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stunning!
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #22
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post
So which did you like better?
Hands down, the R Coupe! I'm not a fan of cabriolets for a few reasons, one of those reasons being the noticeable difference in handling.

The V6 was a nice donk, punchy and all that but didn't come close to the V8 for aural pleasure or savage grunt.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #23
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
What a chance, such a stunning looking car aswell. Kudos! Nothing better then getting the opportunity to drive something you might not be able to afford. I had a 10 minute drive in an Audi RS6 Avant on Monday, its like my car hero and they say never meet them but dear god it was everything i expected and more, brutal!
Nice one. I've heard that they are just that - brutal!
Old 11-08-2016, 02:12 AM   #24
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post
I got to have a drive in one of these, being a v8 man I was pretty impressed with the v6 note and went well too. Will also be getting a chance in a v8 soon, Cant wait.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #25
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERG_51 View Post
I got to have a drive in one of these, being a v8 man I was pretty impressed with the v6 note and went well too. Will also be getting a chance in a v8 soon, Cant wait.
If you thought the V6 was good, just wait until you get behind the wheel of an 8! The V6 is a great little donk, very punchy - the V8 however is an absolute sledgehammer!
2 users like this post: