Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
blue terra
au=gold

Default All Manual Owners Read This

G'day this is my first post but i need to pass on what has just happened to my manual xls ute.
found it hard getting gears the other day mainly 2nd. get to one job site and cant get any. win short what has caused this was the nut that sits on the firewall for the clutch has punctured through the firewall meaning the clutch barely worked. it turn what has happened is its burnt the clutch out and needs the dash pulled out and some of the right side in the engine bay to weld a plate in. this is going to be costly

blue terra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Default Happened to a mate of mine also

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue terra
G'day this is my first post but i need to pass on what has just happened to my manual xls ute.
found it hard getting gears the other day mainly 2nd. get to one job site and cant get any. win short what has caused this was the nut that sits on the firewall for the clutch has punctured through the firewall meaning the clutch barely worked. it turn what has happened is its burnt the clutch out and needs the dash pulled out and some of the right side in the engine bay to weld a plate in. this is going to be costly
was an AU2 XL and the section where the clutch cable went throught the firewall only lasted 45000 km lucky for him it was still under warranty.

Mind you I did 130000 in my AU2 XL manual and never had a problem
Old 03-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your not an orphan there, this is becoming quite common nowadays. http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=39401
If you use the "search" option, I'm sure you'll find a few more also. Best of luck with it, but surely there must be an easier "fix" than removing the dash unit?? anyone........anyone?? :
Old 03-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a similar but i know that there no bolt or cable or firewall or clutch damage... but sometime it wont engage into 2nd and then sometimes when putting it bac into first it thumps pretty loud (can be heard outside the vehicle) also does this sometimes when engaging reverse... a very loud thump and bit of a grind and so on

dont know what the go is maybe need a service or something..
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Default Roll over noise

I have given up trying to get this fixed, But will have a whinge anyway.
When ideling with the AC on you can hear the gearbbox chruch rattle and roll.
Ford have explained this as Roll over noise and will not do anything about it.
Has done it since about 10000 km and has now completed 120000 and still hanging in there, has not effected the running of the car but is highly frustrating.
Vehicle is a BA 1 XL dedicated gas 5spd

any one else had this issue?????
Old 03-03-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
Cespenar
Huh?

This is a common problem with falcons. There is a big variation in their sheet metal. Out of four falcons in my experience, from 96 to 2000, three of them have cracking sheetmetal. mostly in the door holder bits, but obviously in other parts as well. For such a heavy vehicle it should be stronger in the sheet metal than the old dunnydores, but from experience the dunnydore is way superior in this area.
Cespenar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
antilooped

see your private messages
antilooped is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im just wondering about the firewall thing ,when the car is new everything is lubed from factory including clutch cable,after time and ks elapsed if they bind from lack of lube or being frayed that will put more stress on firewall, also a heavier pressure plate would also, au`s were the first falcon model to have double skin firewall for sound deadening i think ,after seeing these posts i`d be giving a squirt of spray white grease with the tube down the cable at oil change if possible to get at it. my 2 cent worth
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:47 PM   #9
black ute
SII XR8

Same thing happened to my old XG.

We got the old tube section that passes through the firewall, welded it into a heavier piece of steel and bolted it to the firewall. The larger square of steel spreads the load and wont pull through.

Doesn't require dash removal, just somone to lay on the floor with their head under the dash to hold the nuts for you to do them up.

This lasted 100 000 with me, 100 000 with next owner until the car was
T-boned at a stop sign, clutch didn't realy matter after that!

Problem has been around for over 20 years, bout time to do somthing Ford?
black ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:54 PM   #10
XITED_6
Was It Something I Said!

ive experienced this aswell cost me close to $400 to get the part replaced...luckily didnt fry no clutch. i must say the t5 gear box aint the best has problems selecting gears etc.
XITED_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
EDXR6T

is this a common problem in just ute's or sedan's to?
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Just put a big plate over it...Then reinforce with this little mod..This is on an E.B but AU are not that different..
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=36674
Took me no time to make..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

This issue has become the AU's version of the E series head gasket. Not so much a case of if but when.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #14
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Always the usual... its either the firewall or the clutch pedal pivot and they both suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Daim, maybe i should keep my auto... lol
Old 04-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #16
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
This issue has become the AU's version of the E series head gasket. Not so much a case of if but when.
True, but the big difference being..........................it's only happening to manual vehicles, :MrT_anim:
thereby affecting a much smaller number of vehicles, of which, I'm happy to add, mine is not one. : :

Last edited by The Dok; 04-03-2006 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Cause I could.
The Dok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
True, but the big difference being..........................it's only happening to manual vehicles, :MrT_anim:
thereby affecting a much smaller number of vehicles, of which, I'm happy to add, mine is not one. : :
absoultly.. about 5% of AU's or so I think.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #18
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
absoultly.. about 5% of AU's or so I think.
Only @5%, less than I thought then. As the good people at FORD would say, "IT'S WITHIN TOLERENCE" :