Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #31
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work on bourke st in they city 30 floors up but thats all Im saying for fear of self incrimination
Old 15-02-2005, 03:56 PM   #32
galapogos01
eec tweaker

what do you do dan?
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #33
Walkinshaw
Two > One

yes that JET-6 saying he can sell them for $300inc posatge, VERY VERY tempting

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #34
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Accounting, its part of my uni course.
Old 15-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #35
Damo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
yes that JET-6 saying he can sell them for $300inc posatge, VERY VERY tempting
you already posted that dude.. :
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #36
XRated
Shoot.

Hey Damo, are you planning on installing that T5?? I know someone who would like to buy it ;)

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #37
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

Thats the way XRated... manual here we come!!! U'll never regret it!!! ;)
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #38
NZ
~~~

A T5 would be money wisely spent

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 08:35 PM   #39
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB MkII
A T5 would be money wisely spent
Pfft! Manuals are for ricers (tm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #40
Interceptor'85
Interceptin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Hey Damo, are you planning on installing that T5?? I know someone who would like to buy it ;)
I'll take it
'XA Muscle'

Interceptor'85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 09:59 PM   #41
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

t5's are definately money well spent
Old 15-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #42
EB6
apprentice grease monkey

Not sure if you know how a torque converter works but to what i know is it is 2 seperate pieces with vanes that have fluid runnin between and when the vanes are spun at a sertin speed plus the vanes almost lock givin full drive (your stall speed), befor that you have slip. The advantage of this is say, my car has a cam that works from 2200 and ive got a 2400 stall canverter. What this will let me do is foot on the brake and foot on the accelerator and the car wont go anywhere till it reaches 2400rpm in which the converter reaches lock this lets you launch the car straight onto the torque which give you great acceleration and no clutch burning out. Also the car is still very driveable befor 2400rpm with this. An auto can easliy be faster than a manual with a good diff ratio, strong auto with a higher fluid pressure givin a faster shift and a stall converter that matches your cam, diff ratio, car weight and any otehr mods that can change the converters stall capability. A manual will just light up causin loss of traction an excess time an auto will slip somewhat allowin faster acc, how many tough V8's have manuals? they dont work in real cars. thats my oppinion anyway

Last edited by EB6; 15-02-2005 at 10:09 PM.
EB6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #43
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB6
A manual will just light up causin loss of traction an excess time an auto will slip somewhat allowin faster acc ... they dont work in real cars.
How many auto Ferrari's, Porsche's or Lamborghini's do you see? What about the v8 supercars? What about the supra's, skylines, rex's, etc (like em or not they are fast cars as well)?

The simple fact is the ford 4 speed has a crap 1st. It is there because that what ford have and that is what they are going to use. You can fix this by messing around with the auto (shift kit + hi-stall) and then put in some diff gears and youll match a stock manual in a line. Take the cars to the track and it will be a different story again.

Autos are good if you cant be stuffed shifting or if you have a hard core drag car.

Edit: And a mate of mine also has a HZ Monaroe with a 502ci big block that has a 5 speed (TKO2 Eliminator?). You cant get much tougher than that!

Last edited by stockstandard; 15-02-2005 at 10:36 PM.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 10:59 PM   #44
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

Quote:
An auto can easliy be faster than a manual with a good diff ratio, strong auto with a higher fluid pressure givin a faster shift and a stall converter that matches your cam, diff ratio, car weight and any otehr mods that can change the converters stall capability. A manual will just light up causin loss of traction an excess time an auto will slip somewhat allowin faster acc, how many tough V8's have manuals? they dont work in real cars. thats my oppinion anyway
The fact of the matter is the ford auto has a crap 1st gear ratio and u can do all these mods and still not cut it with a good manual driver with a stock falcon, the manuals truly are a good thing and i kno from experience! My parents own an EF XR6 Auto and i own a ED XR6 Manual... there is no comparison! i drove it the other day and i thought it was the laziest thing around... then i drove my mates ED Gli and i only knew worse!!! Just ask any of the Boys that have done manual conversions..... ;)
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #45
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pfft, manuals are a supplement for people with no power, it makes them feel better about themselves.

Tell me one person who has a lot of power with their 6 and is happy with the performance of their T5. Brass Buttons are no fun.
Old 16-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #46
Yagz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Pfft, manuals are a supplement for people with no power, it makes them feel better about themselves.

Tell me one person who has a lot of power with their 6 and is happy with the performance of their T5. Brass Buttons are no fun.
EASprint, Tuffed, Thanatos, Me ;), like me to continue? :P
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #47
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

and me and brendan mock's eb and ef and bloxr-6
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 10:04 AM   #48
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put me down for a yes on the t5 (even though I wouldnt say I have a lot of power yet)

There are some pretty funky clutch setups out there. Adelaide Clutch Service have there own flywheel and clutch setup for the t5 that is a fair bit bigger and lighter than standard.
Old 16-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #49
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
EASprint, Tuffed, Thanatos, Me ;), like me to continue? :P
Yep please, EASPRINT has been through 2 boxes and the next step is a C4, TUffed is getting a powerglide, You cant hit third gear : , StockEB broke his and has to use a brass button which didnt work for him either.
Old 16-02-2005, 10:19 AM   #50
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Mock T5 has broken as well and is now a V8 box. I said 6 cylinder T5 and I did mention cars with a lot of power.
Old 16-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #51
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what are we talking drag cars now (200rwkw+)?
Old 16-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #52
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most cars with 200rwkw are not drag cars. They are daily drivers in most cases.
Anyways for the sake of my argument lets talk about cars with enough power to break T5's : :

haha, nah its all about personal preference. I would like a manual but I dont want to run a button clutch or have to replace a gearbox every year. So other than spend $4000 on a proper manual conversion with a decent box Ill stick with my auto.
Old 16-02-2005, 10:33 AM   #53
8pAc
RDP #181

If you do any sort of highway driving dont go higher than 3.7s i had these in my ed fairmont and down the freeway it was just sitting comfortable at 130 140. 3.9 or 4.11 may make 100kph driving a real pain.
8pAc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 10:36 AM   #54
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HAHA how many e-series daily drivers run c4's and powerglide's? And how many of these boxes broke while being driven like a daily driver?

The T5 aint exactly the toughest box going around, but if drive it accordingly it will give you better results in *most* cases than an auto. You cant say manuals are no good because you are putting a T5 made for a stocko 6 pack behind a modified engine putting out 60% more power than stock. All you can say is that a T5 isnt any good when you put more power through it than what the box is rated at.

As you have said, if you want a proper manual setup then you have to pay to get an appropriate gearbox. For most of us who dont drag race cars the t5 does the job fine.
Old 16-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #55
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you dont drag race or ever give your car a bit of stick on the road, why did you modify it to have more power?
My car is a daily driver and Im postive a T5 would not last with the way I drive a manual car. Stokeb's car is his daily and he broke it probably driving the same way as he does on the street as he uses street tyres at calder.
Old 16-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #56
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

back to the original point,
3.45 and exhaust should go very well on take off, cam and ecu from XR6 should be good too.

my EB XR6 i had with 390,000km kicked a$$ from take off stock standard with ford original exhaust it was auto with 3.45LSd(dan got a good deal on his 3.45lsd, $500 would be a good price for a good condition one)

speedo can still be calibrated for 3.45 cruise at 2000rpm@100 qiute good all round diff
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 11:51 AM   #57
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
If you dont drag race or ever give your car a bit of stick on the road, why did you modify it to have more power?
Here Here!

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #58
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I do give the car a fair bit of stick, but I am not overpowering the box. If you have a hi-po engine (with enough power to break a t5), be a tight *** and use an under-rated gearbox, drive it hard what do you think is going to happen? Is that really justification for bagging a worthwhile mod?

That is all I have to say on the matter. Nobody is getting anything out of this anymore.