Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-04-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
Growler

Default High stall and dev cam

1. What is a high stall and what does it do apart from allowin it to rev to a certain limit at a stand still. How does it work?? Any1 got pics???

2. I'm dropping a DEV4 cam into my EF this wkend, will the stocko Auto 4spd transy handle it ok? Should be around 130-150rwkw will the auto handle it?

Also Brendan from JMM reckons i should get the dev 4 cam kit for $800 odd bucks, the cam itself is around 400-500, is the rest just for crow springs.

Growler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
John_LS1

yeah i was under the impression you didnt need springs for a dev4 cam? the auto will be fine, i had 132 rwkw with my auto and drove it hard like on drags days and stuff and it didnt stuff up. you will find that you will have more power up top anyway so when you take off there wont be much stress on the auto.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Growler

If i change to a 3.45 LSD i guess that will stress it more, the auto is high kms but in good nic.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler
If i change to a 3.45 LSD i guess that will stress it more, the auto is high kms but in good nic.
only if you keep doing burnouts lol
Old 06-04-2006, 08:44 AM   #5
BABOSS

1. High Stall's are for drags
2. Auto should be fine
3. Don't know what the extra $$ are for maybe shims and crow springs? I'm looking into a DEV cam too, either that or a Wade 977B.
BABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
gozza

im looking at a wade 977B with a chip torque chip
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Hi-Stall convertors aren't exciting to look at...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Install-Me.jpg

Basically what you described is what a hi-stall does, theres also torque multiplication and other things, but it gets very technical, you can find the info on google if you're really interested.

I have a 2500 stall in the EF, its great to drive, launches so much better than before, and as long as you keep the convertor lock-up on the new convertor, fuel economy won't be too much different. It's still streetable, my Mum drives it with no problems.

The auto will handle the power if it's in good condition to begin with. Don't forget to fit a big trans cooler though.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
BABOSS

Nice fire alarm bell :
BABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #9
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Hi stalls are also handy for towing.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 01:28 PM   #10
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The Hi stall will make a big difference to way the car will launch from the line and it will feel a bit like a slipping clutch in normal driving and flare up a bit in spirited driving. Dev4 is OK without HD valve springs but I woud get a vernier cam gear.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 05:06 AM   #11
Growler

thanks for the input, you think i need a stallie for my 150rwkw dev5 gear? How much r stallies and are they easy to put in, if not how much would a mech charge to throw it in? Is a 3.45 diff ratio and LSD or a single spinner, or can it be both? I dont know ИИИИall about difs or stallies
Old 13-04-2006, 05:18 AM   #12
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

I'd say a stall would make a big improvement, It'll lift the take off RPM right into the peak torque area. IIRC, JMM sell their 3000rpm convertor, fitted with a trans cooler for $1000. I believe TCI ones are around $550 for I6's, and they have a convertor lockup. They're not difficult to install, although you need to remove the transmission, it could be done in a day with 2 keen people, a decent toolkit and a way to get the car right up in the air.

3.45's can be LSD or single spinner, depends on what car it came from, it's roughly $600-700 to get a new LSD centre fitted to a single spinner centre.

Old 13-04-2006, 05:29 AM   #13
Growler

thanks, does that mean that with a 3,000 stallie i would stop at a set of trafic lights and than take of at 3,000RPM? Is this hazerdous to the transy and engine and can it be disengaged? It's a daily driver at the moment and i cant see it on the track any day. ANd more importantly will i still get car insurANCE with a stallie i have RACV and they are ok with the dev5 gear but im not sure about the stallie.
Old 13-04-2006, 05:46 AM   #14
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

It depends how the stall is designed, but from experience with mine, at light throttle openings it does rev higher, taking off from lights etc, but it doesn't take off as quickly as you'd think, so it's easy to take off in the wet without wheelspin. It's difficult to explain properly, but if you've ever driven in limp home mode, it's easier to understand. I hope that makes some sense :P

The stall speed can't be varied, but streetable convertors are setup so light engine loads don't stall as high, but rise to the max speed on WOT.

Insurance I have no idea about, but only the part numbers printed on the stall could tell a highstall from standard, so they would never know......