Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 27-05-2024, 07:23 PM   #1
Ronrae
Starter Motor

Default 2016 MD Diesel

Hi guys, need a bit of assistance. Limited Transmission code came up and a bit of transmission flaring happened while on a freeway. Turned the car off for a few minutes and turned back on. No code & no flaring. Tranny was serviced 10k ago including full filter kit, EGR cleaning & unsticking the EGT valve. MAF sensor fault also fixed. What could it be???
Ronrae is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2024, 11:15 PM   #2
Mondaveo

Default Re: 2016 MD Diesel

It's hard to say without detailed diagnostics. The surest way to understanding the problem is to equip an OBD scanner tool to capture the diagnostic trouble codes and go from there. Lots of details about choosing and using a scanner in this thread here:
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11483930

I had a "Transmission Limited Function" message appear once in my 2011 MC Diesel. Although in my case, the "limited function" manifested as no drive at all. Similar to you, I turned the car off and on again, and all seemed to work properly again. However, over time I started to experience baulking and missed shifts while driving. The culprit, confirmed by logging DTCs, was a faulty speed sensor in the Powershift dual-clutch transmission. It's a not-uncommon fault in early (2010-2011) Powershift-equipped Mondeos. It was apparently remediated with a manufacturing revision some time after my car was built, so we don't typically see this issue occur in Mondeos built after 2012.

Your description does sound similar to the symptoms described by user Ibaker in the thread below. He experienced the warning message and behaviour of the transmission disengaging and reengaging with the tacho needle bouncing up and down. The ultimate cause was found to be a faulty EGR valve putting the drivetrain into limp mode. Apparently the issue only manifests after some time driving, so it was hard to reproduce. Anyway, you can read the thread and see if it matches the concern you're experiencing.
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11476408

Edit to add: Just re-read and saw that you mentioned finding no codes. Unfortunately, a 'helpful' feature of these cars is that they'll often clear drivetrain DTCs when the engine is turned off, so you'll have no record of what went wrong when you go to check later. The only way is to carry a scanner with you, so you can catch any codes thrown before turning off the engine. I used an OBDLink MX dongle, which I could leave plugged in to the car, Bluetoothed to my smartphone running the FORScan software, so I was always ready to read any DTCs that popped up before they vanished.
I guarantee if you got a "Transmission Limited Function" error on your cluster then it definitely set one or more DTCs, you just didn't see them in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.

Last edited by Mondaveo; 27-05-2024 at 11:31 PM.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-05-2024, 06:00 PM   #3
Ronrae
Starter Motor

Fault code "P2495 EGR cooler bypass position circuit bank 1" was found. So now I need to find a fix for this. Any ideas? 🧐
Old 29-05-2024, 11:38 AM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

This DTC sets when the EGRCBVP (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooler Bypass Valve Position Sensor) is greater than or less than a calibrated threshold.
• EGRCBVP circuit open
• EGRCBVP circuit short to ground
• EGRCBVP circuit short to voltage
• EGRCBVP sensor

Pinpoint Tests

AZ2 CHECK THE VPWR CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
Ignition OFF.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooler Bypass Valve Solenoid connector disconnected.
Ignition ON, engine OFF.
Measure the voltage between:
(+) EGR Cooler Bypass Valve Solenoid Connector, Harness Side Pin 1; and (-)Ground
Is the voltage greater than 10.5 V?
Yes: GO to AZ3
No: REPAIR the open circuit.

AZ3 CHECK THE EGRCBV CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
Ignition OFF.
PCM-E connector disconnected.
Measure the resistance between:
(+) EGR Cooler Bypass Valve Solenoid Connector, Harness Side Pin 2 and (-) PCM-E Connector, EGRCBV.
Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes: GO to AZ4
No: REPAIR the open circuit.

AZ4 CHECK THE EGRCBV CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
(+) EGR Cooler Bypass Valve Solenoid Connector, Harness Side Pin 2; and (-) Ground
Is the resistance greater than 10K ohms?
Yes: GO to AZ5
No: REPAIR the short circuit.

AZ5 CHECK THE EGRCBV CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE
Ignition ON, engine OFF.
Measure the voltage between:
(+) EGR Cooler Bypass Valve Solenoid Connector, Harness Side Pin 2; and (-) Ground
Is any voltage present?
Yes: REPAIR the short circuit No: GO to AZ6

AZ6 CHECK THE EGR COOLER BYPASS VALVE SOLENOID FOR THE CORRECT RESISTANCE
Ignition OFF.
(+) EGR Cooler Bypass Valve Solenoid Connector, Component Side VPWR Pin 1; and (-) EGR Cooler Bypass Valve Solenoid Connector, Component Side IEGRCBV Pin 2
Is the resistance between 10 - 40 ohms?
Yes: GO to AZ17
No: INSTALL a new EGR Cooler Bypass Valve solenoid.

AZ7 CHECK THE COOLING SYSTEM
Check the cooling system for a system overheating condition or a low coolant condition.
Is the cooling system overheating or is a low coolant condition present?
Yes: REPAIR as necessary.
No: GO to AZ8 - this will required equipment capable of monitoring PID's.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2024, 01:37 PM   #5
Ronrae
Starter Motor

Thanks mate, so, auto electrician seems to be the go correct?
Old 31-05-2024, 03:49 PM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

If you aren't comfortable performing those tests yourself then yes.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2024, 02:30 PM   #7
AlanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronrae View Post
Hi guys, need a bit of assistance. Limited Transmission code came up and a bit of transmission flaring happened while on a freeway. Turned the car off for a few minutes and turned back on. No code & no flaring. Tranny was serviced 10k ago including full filter kit, EGR cleaning & unsticking the EGT valve. MAF sensor fault also fixed. What could it be???
Probably a bit late, but I'd check for oil leaks, especially at the filter, and also check the transmission oil level is correct. There seems to be quite a few centres willing to service these transmissions while actually having no idea how to do it properly.
AlanM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post