Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
martraci
Starter Motor

Default starting problems

im having problems with my '99 AU starting sometimes. when in Park it will sound like there is ignition but there is no signs of it 'turning over'. when this first started happenening i would just leave it for 10 or 15 minutes and it would then fire-up fine. just recently i have found that when this problem re-occurs (not starting) i can just start in Neautral instead (whereas Park would not)..
all this began to happen about two months ago just after i gave a friend a jump start when their battery had died.

any points would be greatly appreciated!

martraci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I didn't think you could start in N at all .... I thought it had to be in P.
That's what mine is like ... I can't start in anything but P.

It depends how you jump started the other vehicle though ... there's a right and a wrong way of doing it.

When turning the key over to start ... do the reds on the dash dim to nothing????
Also when trying to start is there a clicking sound .... I am suspecting it might be the starter motor solenoid on it's way out.

What happens it will not start at time .. and other times it will ... one good way of getting it started in the interim is bashing the solenoid with a shifter before trying to start ... this usually does the trick.

But it is best to get it replaced.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how many ks has it it done???
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You can start in either N or P.. at least in mine you can.

If the gearbox thinks it's in gear still while in P, this will cause your car not to start, and hence, being able to start in N.

Either way, nothing you can do to fix. You'll have to take it to a tranie mech... by that I mean transmission mechanic.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Yeah mine starts in 'N' & 'P' , thats standard on all auto's i've driven too . But as far as your problem , if its only been happening since you jump started someone , then it sounds like you have fryed something - what though i don't know . I recently had someone at the 'dandenong drive-in' as me to jump start them after the movies - i was like "sorry , no can do , i don't wanna risk frying my electrics" . Lucky for them the drive-in has a battery on a trolley they let you jump start off in these occasions . ..lol.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

personally i point blank wont jump start another car with mine, just for that very reason, if its done incorrectly i could be wrong but i worrie that computer could be damaged, it still could be a hundred other things though, a relay comes to my mind ,but im only guessing, might be a good one to let a sparky see, good luck
Old 11-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Yeah mine starts in 'N' & 'P' , thats standard on all auto's i've driven too . But as far as your problem , if its only been happening since you jump started someone , then it sounds like you have fryed something - what though i don't know . I recently had someone at the 'dandenong drive-in' as me to jump start them after the movies - i was like "sorry , no can do , i don't wanna risk frying my electrics" . Lucky for them the drive-in has a battery on a trolley they let you jump start off in these occasions . ..lol.
great minds think alike :
Old 11-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have jump started many vehicles with the ute ... as long as there is a surge protector in the leads ... you will be fine ... I have had no adverse affects at all.

If no surge protector ... put the negative lead on a decent earthing point (ie: engine pick up point ... not the the negative terminal on the battery)
Old 11-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
personally i point blank wont jump start another car with mine, just for that very reason, if its done incorrectly i could be wrong but i worrie that computer could be damaged, it still could be a hundred other things though, a relay comes to my mind ,but im only guessing, might be a good one to let a sparky see, good luck
Exactelly ! - it can even only be to the point where someone might actually have a short (short circuit - some (+) wire earthing or something ) and end up short-cuircuting your car while you try to jump-start their faulty car ! . There is actually propper jumper leads for jumping from or with cars with ecu's, but 1/10 people have them ! .

Old 11-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Exactelly ! - it can even only be to the point where someone might actually have a short (short circuit - some (+) wire earthing or something ) and end up short-cuircuting your car while you try to jump-start their faulty car ! . There is actually propper jumper leads for jumping from or with cars with ecu's, but 1/10 people have them ! .
I made sure I got myself decent surge protected leads ... I carry them at all times
Old 11-05-2006, 10:43 PM   #11
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I made sure I got myself decent surge protected leads ... I carry them at all times
Smart man ! - i actually wanna get myself a set too, just incase if i ever need a jump-start myself ! .

Old 11-05-2006, 10:53 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Well worth it ... I keep mine under the passenger seat in the packet (being a ute with sound system I have limited room .... hee hee). I have had to jump start mine a few times in winter last year (dedicated LPG on cold mornings and Solenoid staying locked off can be a pain).

As I mentioned .... no adverse affects ... it tells you on the box that it is connected correctly and save to jump.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:54 AM   #13
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Park

I've had this problem too, if it's the same problem that i rarely have! I try and start the car whilst it's in P but no kick ova i then shake the P and make sure it's defintley all the way up in Park and then it starts!

Werid i know.....

Cheers

Simon :king:
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZFORDAU
I've had this problem too, if it's the same problem that i rarely have! I try and start the car whilst it's in P but no kick ova i then shake the P and make sure it's defintley all the way up in Park and then it starts!

Werid i know.....

Cheers

Simon :king:
sounds like your nuetral switch on the side of the auto needs adjustment or replacement.
Old 13-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Well worth it ... I keep mine under the passenger seat in the packet (being a ute with sound system I have limited room .... hee hee). I have had to jump start mine a few times in winter last year (dedicated LPG on cold mornings and Solenoid staying locked off can be a pain).

As I mentioned .... no adverse affects ... it tells you on the box that it is connected correctly and save to jump.
I'm with you all the way! I have a set of anti surge leads in each of my AU's. That way I can jump (the Good Samaritan) or be jumped without any worries.

They were a fair cost over the standard leads, but I've noticed that they've come down heaps in price now.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post