Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
BADan

Default Crappy Fuel Economy

Hey guys,

As you can guess by the title, my car (EFII 4.0l) is, and has been getting crappy fuel efficiency for a while. City driving, at the most I will get 350k's out of the tank. I see many others on here easily getting 450k's +. Also, I am not a leadfoot at all.

I have a new fuel filter, fuel pump and it has been recently serviced (new plugs, air filter, oil).

I don't know how accurate the fuel information displayed in the car is, but on acceleration, the numbers (instantaneous) jump to very high numbers: 60,70 sometimes. When cruising, it seems to be ok, judging by the dash estimations (7-8 on the freeway). It says that the average is around 15.1L/100k, this is well below what the actual usage is IMO. Other things to note is that is does not idle very smoothly, and jumps up a bit when sitting. On a cold day last week, I noticed that the amount of air the excaust was spitting out looked fairly excessive.

What reasons could be causing this? I read a few posts on dodgey o2 sensors that can be a problem. Is taking it out, and seeing if the car runs the same the best way to test, or a multimeter like I read? Could blocked injectors cause this, or other reasons?

Sorry about the long post, but with petrol prices continuing to rise, I want to try and get rid of this problem.

Cheers.

BADan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
Jet-Star

EDIT: Im a nong. Please delete.
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

The trip computer reading high figures under acceleration is normal.

Have you reset the avg L/100km counter on the trip computer? It stores the average economy since the last reset, which could be 50,000km ago. Have you done an ECU self-test to see if it has any problems? Have you checked all the vacuum hoses to see if one's split?

Info on ECU self-testing - http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=52

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarkho
Hey guys,

As you can guess by the title, my car (EFII 4.0l) is, and has been getting crappy fuel efficiency for a while. City driving, at the most I will get 350k's out of the tank. I see many others on here easily getting 450k's +. Also, I am not a leadfoot at all.

I have a new fuel filter, fuel pump and it has been recently serviced (new plugs, air filter, oil).

I don't know how accurate the fuel information displayed in the car is, but on acceleration, the numbers (instantaneous) jump to very high numbers: 60,70 sometimes. When cruising, it seems to be ok, judging by the dash estimations (7-8 on the freeway). It says that the average is around 15.1L/100k, this is well below what the actual usage is IMO. Other things to note is that is does not idle very smoothly, and jumps up a bit when sitting. On a cold day last week, I noticed that the amount of air the excaust was spitting out looked fairly excessive.

What reasons could be causing this? I read a few posts on dodgey o2 sensors that can be a problem. Is taking it out, and seeing if the car runs the same the best way to test, or a multimeter like I read? Could blocked injectors cause this, or other reasons?

Sorry about the long post, but with petrol prices continuing to rise, I want to try and get rid of this problem.

Cheers.
We are all in the same boat as you mate, ive had to settle to the fact that my EL is fuel hungry and the fuel eco will always hover around the 15-17L/100km. My cars had regular maintainance and $1200 worth of repairs in the last 4 months and nothings changed with fuel eco, even after extractors there was no change.

The answer is skip the 4.0L and get a small zippy 2.0L
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #5
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

For the low cost and ease of installation, a new/genuine Ford thermostat would be well worthwhile. My EA was getting terrible economy and that was the reason; the car was in 'closed loop' mode and running rich/cold all day long.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ Agreed with trouty. My EF at the moment is getting rather average economy, and the temp is not getting over 80*C in this cooler weather. Have noticed fuel consumption going up, and as such am fitting new t/stat on Friday. Will let you know if changes at all ;)
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
falcon91

Check your catalytic converter and O2 sensor! My EA was shocking on fuel. I put on extractors (and the cat was blocked) put in a new cat and o2 sensor. Heaps better fuel economy. Can't be just the extractors!
falcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Something is definately not right with those consuption figures. Definately check the O2 sensor and the cat converter. I was getting about the same consumption as you are before I replaced mine. I'm now down to 11.6 l/100k and get around the 550-600k mark per tank on the highway.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #9
MacGyver

Same here. I'm down to 10.5l/100km combined cycle. Easy to get 500+ km out of her. All I did was install new O2 sensor and reset the ECU.

cheers
Scott
MacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
Me_3

urk... thats worse than my v8.. (lexus 4L v8 in EB wagon, 11.5L/100k)

O2 sensors, and a few meters of vacume hoses... makes a world of difference...
Me_3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #11
BADan

Yea, I think I will look at the o2 sensor. Will test it using a multimeter if i can get hold of one. A few other threads explain how to do it also.

I think the thermo is ok. The pointer does indicate that the engine gets warm after running for a while.

Will also see if I can test the ECU based on that guide.

The car has been great, but the fuel economy has been the only problem since I got it last August.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #12
BADan

Pulled out the sensor and it does look pretty old and rusty, as you can see in the image. Quoted $82 for a new one, so that's not too bad. Need to replace these type of bits that the previous owner may have forgotten.

Also, I have read that the Map sensor can cause troubles. No idea what it does, but where exactly is it located. Had a look but couldn't find it based on some older threads. Might also have a look at that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image005.jpg (59.3 KB, 74 views)
Old 08-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #13
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MAP sensor is a black box on the firewall with a number of vacuum hoses running to it. Dont have a photo, but I know its not cheap to replace ($200+)
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
djmaker

i get about 400km out of 74ltrs of gas :S... in my eb xr8 :S....
djmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #15
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

I'm another 300km - tank guy...

Temp never gets off cold...

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #16
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

Yeah thats the same with my ED wagon, but thats because I have to wire the thermofans up properly, one going all the time - ED very cold.. and the MAF was rooted lol.

Well don't dispare, I was only getting 18.2L/100kms out of my XR6T last tank (I thrashed it a bit ;) lol)

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_3
urk...thats worse than my v8.. (lexus 4L v8 in EB wagon, 11.5L/100k)
O2 sensors, and a few meters of vacume hoses... makes a world of difference...
Sorry to go off topic, but What?????
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #18
Me_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEL
Sorry to go off topic, but What?????
: http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=46817

Even if your thermo fans are running flat out. the cars thermostat should keep it in operating temp range.....

Pull your spark plugs.. is it running rich/lean?

Let us know how you go after replacing the 02 sensor...
Me_3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #19
coolcanberra

Check your exhaust system for leaks.

I had crappy fuel economy, then discovered my rear 2 mufflers were rotten, with holes. When I had (used) ones put in, the professional man at Roadways (highly recommended), waved a CO wand over things and used a rattle gun to eliminate the not obvious leak around the headers, and up where the cat joins the header.

Thinking back, I replaced my head gasket, by pushing the header aside, but did not bother to split the manifold and install new joiner bits, and bolted it all up again. I was leaking gasses at both ends.

Fuel economy improved.

The MAF Mass Airflow Sensor and puts out a voltage reading. My manual on p 10-1-11 fig 15 shows 0.8 volt on idle, and 2 volts at 60MPH, 1.2 volts odd at 20MPH.
MAP is for Manifold Absolute Pressure and it the box on the firewall.
coolcanberra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #20
BADan

I've put in a new oxy sensor. Will see how it goes. I think I have noticed a lag on acceleration that was there with the old one is gone. Does the ECU need to learn new settings with the new sensor?

Because of the cold weather, I have noticed excess exhaust fumes, possibly related?