Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Default Mobile Plans/Caps?

hey guys,

iv been with optus pre paid for some time now and i am thinking of going on a plan/cap.

im 19 with an old ****ty nokia which badly needs upgrading!!!

was looking at the 3 cap plans like the $29 ($120 worth of calls) and the $49 ($230 worth of calls) cap.

is anyone else on these caps? if yes how have you found them to be?

cheers

Daniel

Old 24-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am on the $49 cap (B-Digital / Optus) a month plan and find it great...
Only went over the maximum allowed once and that wasn't charged at ridiculous amounts really...

I know of other caps and it really does depend on your usage.. If you use about $100 - $150 month now then go on the $49 cap (gives you more leeway and still saves you money)...

Where if you only use $50 - $100 then go on the smaller cap.. but seriously in my opinion the $49 one is probably the best, but again that is just my opinion... ..

Good luck with whatever you decide
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

was looking on the 3 website,

with the $49 cap ($230 worth of calls) there is a min $20 monthly spend... what is this?
Old 24-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

It means that you will be charged at least $20 for the month, and then in increments up to $49 unless you go over the $230.
For example, spend $5 worth of calls, pay $20
spend $30, pay $30,
spend $200, pay $49
spend $300, pay $119 (49+70 over)
Old 24-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Reign
Argg..

do you have a good credit rating mate, if you dont mind me asking, because three are very strict on this. :S unlike telstra or optus.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I've been with Vodafone for a few years now, because of their national highway coverage, and their maxicap plan lets me make up to $500 worth of calls for $79. Would NEVER sign a contract for 12/24month plan.

If your with Optus now you might be better off with Virgin (which uses Optus) as they are often way cheaper.
Old 24-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Don't go with 3 whatever you do.

Crappest network ever.

Outages, bad reception, and crap phones.

Go with a normal ISP, that lets you use any phone you want (and that the phones aren't locked to).. you'll be happy you did later.

We use optus for all the company phones, couldn't be happier. Wouldn't really recommend telstra.. but optus is good, voda is good, virgin is good.
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

I'm with vodafone on the $49 cap and it is great, mostly because they screwed up setting up my account and I seem to have endless credit. It took me ages to get it all set up properly and I have been on the one $49 payment for 3 months now (it is supposed to expire after 30 days) and I still have credit available. Its great! I haven't paid for credit for ages!
Old 24-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #9
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
I am on the $49 cap (B-Digital / Optus) a month plan and find it great...
Only went over the maximum allowed once and that wasn't charged at ridiculous amounts really...

I know of other caps and it really does depend on your usage.. If you use about $100 - $150 month now then go on the $49 cap (gives you more leeway and still saves you money)...

Where if you only use $50 - $100 then go on the smaller cap.. but seriously in my opinion the $49 one is probably the best, but again that is just my opinion... ..

Good luck with whatever you decide
Ive been with B digital (Optus) for a couple years now & have just gone onto the $49 cap with $230 included calls & texts) also got a new LG M4410 for free as my contract was about up & they wrote to me I wanted to switch to a capped plan anyhow & as my old phones battery was nearly cactus then with a new phone for fee was a good deal. I know I could have got a cheaper cap with 3 or maybe even a slightly better phone on there $49 cap but I have heard so many horror storys with 3 I satyed with B (Optus).

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

just remember if you are wanting a New phone with these planes there is usually the phone payments plus the plan

EG $20 per month for phone plus $49 ($49 for $230 calls)

So its not just $49 its $49 plus $20 total $69 per month

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
just remember if you are wanting a New phone with these planes there is usually the phone payments plus the plan
Like if you buy a plan with a 'free' phone (free? yeah right) then break or loose the phone you still get stuck with the plan untill the end of the contract.
Old 24-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #12
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That isn't the case with the B Digital cap... I do only pay $49 for the calls and yes I do pay a small fee for the phone but that is because I wanted a particular phone that wasn't on the cap one and they made a deal. I pay $5 month for the phone over 24 months... If I break my contract, then yes I will pay for the total cost of the phone but since I had been with them for a long time and this was the 3rd plan and 3rd phone through them I think I did well..
Old 24-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #13
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Like if you buy a plan with a 'free' phone (free? yeah right) then break or loose the phone you still get stuck with the plan untill the end of the contract.
If you wish to break the plan you pay for the phone outright is the general rule or the remaining cap amount for the remaining period of your plan (whichever is greater)....

If you lose the phone and don't have insurance they will generally try to help you out with a cheap replacement phone or you can get a second hand one and remain on the cap... I don't know why people don't have insurance on their phones though, it is a good idea and doesn't cost that much realistically (my phone is covered in my home contents insurance)
Old 24-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #14
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm on the Telstra prepaid. Currently have about $33 credit which I didn't pay for, 1c text messages to other friends on Telstra as well as the 35c for 10minutes during 9pm-7am weekdays and all day during the weekend.

The part where people call you and you receive credit is awesome. I racked up $45 in accrued credit over the last month and now for about 2 months I won't be recharging.

Edit:
I was with Vodafone's $49 for $230 but the whole "nearly" 60c per minute + flagfall (25c?) made me use $230 in a matter of days. (The usual talking on the phone every night) After spent $150 of credit that month I cancelled and joined Telstra.

Used to be a sales rep for Vodafone, sounds good for some people but just didn't "satisfy" me.
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
If you wish to break the plan you pay for the phone outright is the general rule or the remaining cap amount for the remaining period of your plan (whichever is greater)....

If you lose the phone and don't have insurance they will generally try to help you out with a cheap replacement phone or you can get a second hand one and remain on the cap... I don't know why people don't have insurance on their phones though, it is a good idea and doesn't cost that much realistically (my phone is covered in my home contents insurance)
Ever since I dropped my $700+ phone into the fishpond (twice... dont ask) I've gone the insurance way. I like the contents insurance idea though, coulod be a lot cheaper than straight out phone ins.
I have a friend that was on a plan with Telstra and dropped his 3 week old phone from the loading area of a truck onto the concrete floor, all Telstra could say was, sorry but you still have to pay for it through the plan.
Old 24-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #16
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ever since I dropped my $700+ phone into the fishpond (twice... dont ask)

Awwwww why not... I really want to know now that you have said 'don't ask' :

Share.. come on.. you know you want to
Old 24-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #17
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
That isn't the case with the B Digital cap... yes I do pay a small fee for the phone
Just contradicted yourself....

But Maybe I should of stated you will still have to pay for the phone UNLESS you want to use their "FREE" s h i t-test, crapiest, no options, cant do sms, cant do mms, cant surf the web, all it does is the same your house phone does -mobile phone

In the first post it was stated he has "an old ****ty nokia which badly needs upgrading"

I was just pointing it out so people that dont know dont get sucked in

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 24-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #18
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just contradicted yourself....
Yeah I realise I didn't word that too well.. sorry, what I meant was that the amount you stated wasn't always the case...
Old 24-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #19
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Quote:
Yeah I realise I didn't word that too well.. sorry, what I meant was that the amount you stated wasn't always the case...
Thats cool - but it was just an example!

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Old 25-06-2006, 02:35 AM   #20
XRated
Shoot.

Caps are overrated.

I was (technically still am) with 3 on the $49 cap + $25 for a Nokia N70. I didn't even use it that much and I went over the cap plenty of times. The call rates are ridiculous, but I find on any plan they usually are.

I've decided to pay out my contract (I lost my phone after five months!!) and will go with Virgin - the call rates are awesome. I'm currently on a Telstra prepaid and find I'm not spending near as much as I would if I had a cap.

I'd seriously consider checking out the prepaid call rates etc from other providers.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #21
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've found the caps to be pretty good. I was on a $200 plan with optus, and even with the cheapest all rates was still spending $400 - $700 per month. I went on a $179 business cap which comes with $1200 worth of calls. rarely exceed the cap now. Was almost up for renewal a month ago and when i looked into it i found out that optus no longer offer this cap, plus they have jacked up call rates and flag falls on their caps heaps, and no longer to free handsets. All come with monthly payments.

Found out that optus have a department called business retentions, And basically whats written down on paper as being their contracts and pricing is basically a starting point for negotiation. They have to power to do individual deals depending on what services you have with them, how much you spend, and how long you have been a customer for. In my case i had 2 fixed lines, broadband, 2 mobiles and i've been with them for 5 or 6 years. When asked what the could do for me i said i wanted for free a new N70, i also wanted to keep my old plan price, call rates and allowances, and i wanted discount on my home phone. Within 1 minute, i was told my current phone cap will remain, i can have to phone, and i wil recieve a 10% discount on my home phone for the mobile contract period. They faxed me a form to sign, now its all set. And to think i was almost prepared to just wear the new pricing and have to pay for a phone! Anyone with a business connection i recommend negotiating a deal with this dept! I basically looked on the net for the best deal any provider offered and told optus i wanted them to go 1 better, and they did.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2006, 01:33 AM   #22
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Well I just signed up with Vodafone on their $79 cap ($500 worth of calls/text/vodafone live etc per month) for 24 months and got a Nokia 6280 for free. (RRP $699). Oh yeh, and the minimum spend is $40 per month, so if I don't spend any more than $40, then I'll only get charged that $40. Makes cool videos and awesome photo quality.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2006, 02:23 AM   #23
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

look in to three mate if your after a cap plan, voda, optus and telstra have higher per 30 sec rate compared to 3's 30cents. although telstra's got he best deals atm for cap plans phones such as the nokia n70 and motoral v3x are 0 dollars. three has similar deals aswell, apart from that voda seems good one, also when changing plans or networks consider things such as most of your family and freinds might be with particular network provider say optus so realisticaly see if optus also offers better rates to calls made to other optus numbers.
now if your spending abt 100-150 $ 49 cap
150-450 $79 cap
450+ 69 - 99 - 129 etc caps
if you want more info feel free to ask i work in teleco
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #24
gbright
lovin every second of it

im with 3 100 cap 800 worth of calls never had a problem
Old 04-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

'3' might be ok in a Capital city but they wont look at you in the country.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #26
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
But Maybe I should of stated you will still have to pay for the phone UNLESS you want to use their "FREE" s h i t-test, crapiest, no options, cant do sms, cant do mms, cant surf the web, all it does is the same your house phone does -mobile phone
Really, I'm with 3 mobile and have a free phone on one of their lowest plans. My phone can surf the web, mms, sms, email and do video calls. When someone leaves a voicemail I can download it via my email and listen to it free of charge. I can download games and upload them to the phone via the Gthing utility, I can set individual pictures for each address book entry for when they ring and individual ringtones for each address book entry. I can upload mp3's to it and use these as ringtones or mail/message tones. Not bad for crappy free phone.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #27
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
'3' might be ok in a Capital city but they wont look at you in the country.
I live in Ballarat and i'm with 3, the only problem i've had with them is not getting my bill in time to pay it (it arrived a day after it was due!) and their call centre (indian) is a joke.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post