Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Default The Future of Oil- ABC

Did anyone watch that one on 4 corners. All pretty doom and gloom stuff, people might have to seriously rethink embracing Ethanol and other alternatives.

Some Footage
http://abc.net.au/4corners/special_eds/20060710/

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

is this the "peak oil" thing? IMO its a load of BS
Interceptor is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

yeah i'm watching it tonight :

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
YuGoStaR
Long Member

I watched it, very interesting, most of it is already circulating facts put into one episode. So nothing to radical in there.
And no, its not a load of BS.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:36 PM   #5
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

When is the repeat as I wasn't aware the ABC was showing something so relevant to society?
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Damn, I forgot to watch it.
Was it any good? Are we actually going to have to stop supplying cars in the next 40-50 years and keep the rest for pharmaceuticals and plastics?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
When is the repeat as I wasn't aware the ABC was showing something so relevant to society?
Lol. Good call.

It was a good watch. The theory of peak oil is something that has intrigued me for the last year or so after reading a few articles about it.

Some really scary stuff coming from the guy who presented at finsia... basically saying, in his opinion, china would happily pay $200 USD for a barrell of oil.

Would you?

I think the lack of cars should be the least of our worries. Our entire financial system is dependent on the availability of (relatively) cheap oil.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #8
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
is this the "peak oil" thing? IMO its a load of BS
It's great to see informed comment on AFF!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

As I currently work in the offshore oil & gas industry (WA), most of what was said is fairly accurate. I think some are more inclined to go the 'Doom & Gloom' as compared to others who say "Nothing is wrong". Personally, I think we have a situation somewhere in between. That is, the world can no longer stick its head in the sand and ignore the issue.

As stated above, it is not just petrol for our cars that is of concern, it is more the fact that so much of modern day life/industry depends on oil and its derivitives. So, if we were to run out, then yes, we would have major issues.

Paul
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i think they want to get extra $$$$$$ so they can build new oil rigs ... apparently there are heaps of other places they can start looking, i think it was offshore cali there is heaps , but the US gov don't want to ruin their beaches....

maybe the prices will go down when all the forces get off iraq land + the stupid excuse for oil price to go up because ji jon ill firing his missles....
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To summarise: Most experts agree that world peak oil production has either already been passed or will be passed in the year 2010. Meanwhile consumption is skyrocketing due to China and India becoming major players.

They said alternatives to oil are needed but because of the world governments total lack of planning everyone will probably be caught out when the shortage hits - big recessions, war ect. would be the result.

For example they said that Australia has almost limitless reserves of coal and that coal can be liquified into fuel to supply our own needs - disadvantage is that it is very "dirty" and produces a lot of greenhouse gases, but if worst came to worse we could do it. Problem is we do not have the infrastructure in place (very complex processs) and it was given a 10 year estimate to build and run a plant.

The only possible solution is Saudi Arabia. They claim they have enough reserve production in their country alone to support the world for another 50 years. Problem is no auditors, camera's or government officials are allowed in to verify this so no-one (inluding the USA) believes them. Even an ex-executive of the Saudi Oil company put doubts on these claims.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #12
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
The only possible solution is Saudi Arabia. They claim they have enough reserve production in their country alone to support the world for another 50 years. Problem is no auditors, camera's or government officials are allowed in to verify this so no-one (inluding the USA) believes them. Even an ex-executive of the Saudi Oil company put doubts on these claims.
OPEC member countries also have a recorded history of fraudulently reporting the level of reserves. The reason being that OPEC limits any given country's production to a % of its proven reserves. Therefore, inflate your reported proven reserves, you're allowed to pump more oil and make more $$$ in any given year.

In January of this year, Kuwait slashed its reported proven reserves by 50%:

http://www.pastpeak.com/archives/200...ts_oil_res.htm

Let's hope we dont get similar news from the Saudis hey??
Old 11-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #13
cwhast

If anyone missed it, it will be repeated this Wednesday: 11.10pm (ABC), 7.00pm (ABC2 Digital), and 9.30pm (ABC2 Digital).
cwhast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #14
R0BD0G
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a web address which ,might prove interesting
www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net
R0BD0G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post