Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Test Drive - BF XR6 Courtesy of Mr Hertz

I normally drive a BA Company special (with free petrol) courtesy of my employer. Last Monday week I waved goodbye to it as the man with the tilt tray took it to the Ford dealership to replace a faulty rear flexible brake hose. They mustn't break very often as the part number is wrong in the parts book and hence I have been driving a BF XR6 for the last couple of weeks.
I'm mightily impressed with the XR6 although I don't know if I'd buy one. It handles about 40% better than the standard Falcon and feels like it has different programming on the transmission and maybe a shorter diff ratio. (I know , I should have looked, but it's a rentacar.) I really like the nice seats and the understated body kit kind of grows on you. I've always thought that the XR6 needed some stripes or scoops or something to differentiate it from the standard Falcon like the GS pack did for 1970's Falcons but after driving it for a couple of weeks I've changed my mind as it just handles so well and feels so good to drive that it dosen't matter if anyone is looking at me or not.
The fuel economy seems to be on a par with my BA but the BF likes premium unleaded a bit more and definately goes better on the good stuff whereas it dosent make much difference to the BA.
The funky blue instruments are nice too although they should put a tint on the gear indicator on the console and the power windows as well as they look a little funny being green.
In short the BF XR6 is a really nice car that would be better if they could just extract a little bit more power out of it like they did with the AU. My employer gives me a basic falcon for $15K pre tax and if I had the opportunity to pay a bit more for an upgrade to my company car to an XR6 I'd do it in a second but if I was in the position where I had to novate lease one I'd go for the Turbo (or more likely a GT ) because it is a bit hard to tolerate a car that improves so much on the standard Falcon but dosen't have any more poke.
To those that have an XR6 out there you have a really well sorted, nicely handling car that deserves to be more recognised, this is a car that is very capable, nicely finished and is a worthy successor to its GS predecessors.
You'd never guess that I'm on another Bundy fuelled trip to the US and that I'm really bored, would you, look out in the bar for some ramblings on the US.

Regards,
Tote

Old 11-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I should also point out that the XC6 I had was the 4 speed version as well......
Regards,
Tote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
FLYXR6
Silvester

were do i get a job like yours???????

I like them sleek and unnoticable, That is untill the pedal is pushed.

www.myspace.com/flyxr6 Myspace URL
www.myspace.com/slvstr01 My cars Myspace URL
FLYXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post