Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
Xrsick

Default Sydney to Melb Drive Info

Flying to Sydney on Saturday to pick up a car I bought and gonna drive it back to Melb with my son, any tips for the long drive and cameras to look out for would be apreciated,driving via Hume cheers
Frank

Last edited by Xrsick; 09-08-2006 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Xrsick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
EFDream
XRR83D

Keep to the speed around Goulburn as all the young police recruits tend to be out practicing their highway patrol skills. I've had a couple narky ones in the the past....a nice uniform and a gun and a flashy fast car goes to the head a bit when your fresh I guess. And try not to swear at our nasty roads.....lol As far as speed cameras go I can't remember the exact whereabouts.......

2007 Suzuki Swift - Pearl Red
Povo Pack

EFDream is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

around Gundagai and Yass plod likes to hide in the little crossover roads that take you from one side of the highway to the other, so it pays to keep an eye out for them as you pass.

There is a fixed speed camera near Coolac but you cant miss it, its on a single lane part of the highway and there are big signs either side of it that tell you its there - best part about NSW is if they put a speed camera up, they put heaps of signs up telling you it's there!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
Falchoon

Yeh watch for the cops near Goulburn, stick to the speed limit and you won't have a problem.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
EFFalcon
Last warning

don't speed.
use cruise control and wait.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
don't speed.
use cruise control and wait.
Good Advice, I have had 3 trips to Sydney this year and its not worth speeding, travel during the day less trucks on the road.
Tarcutta is the half way point and the Mobil there sells 98 octane should you want it.....while your there the Chicken and mayo sandwich is OK..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
bt1-van
Starter Motor

i got done just outside benulla so watch out around there. basically wouldnt do more then 120 the whole way thru cuz there ****ing sneaking kents out bush.
bt1-van is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 12:42 AM   #8
BlackLS

Bring a UHF, Ch 40, truckies are great for the latest "road conditions"

A $30 handheld should give you line of sight transmission.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 02:00 AM   #9
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove up and back in a day last week to pick up a car and trailer it home.

Be mindul around goulburn as people have mentioned. On the hume in nsw you have to be blind to miss and fixed cameras. Well signed, like the pics below. I took these after gundagai. You see 3 signs before every camera so its not hard. Also be weary coming down into tarcutta. Known trouble spot. At the top of the hill coming into the town the speed goes from 100 - 50kmh, and its a pretty steep hill. Cops sit at the bottom out the front of the shop (eating donuts of course ) with the blow dryer out. Been done there before.
Only other places are when you get back closer to melbourne, say from kilmore back into the western ring be very mindful of the cameras on the hume. There are quite a few. So take it easy.

Its not worth taking the chances, i did last week, and i think i missed 1 not far from kalkallo, so any time i saved is far outweighed by the cost of the fine and the points i may have on the way. The only reason to know about the trouble areas is just to be extra mindful hey. Heard goulburn cops will do you for 3km over with the gun.

schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 02:54 AM   #10
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

take it easy use cruise be polite with the truckies.
look out where ever the road drops to 2 lanes often cops around there (holbrook, tarcutta, coolac etc.) there is 2 speed cameras in the NSW section and are clearly marked so if you get done your a fool.
the new subway at gundagai is really good but the servo food is expensive better off going into the road house if ya want a feed.
the yass mobile has good tucker at the coolibah tree cafe there, but the fuel is expensive, best idea is to fill up at albury as it's the cheapest fuel between the border and sydney and between the border and melb too usually. (somtimes euroa is cheaper, euroa incidently has a really good feed)

you really should only need one tank to start and then fill at albury then at maurlan(usually pretty good on price) if you need.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
Xrsick

Thanks to all for the great advice I was expecting one or two replies but this forum is just the best for great advice from what i have gathered Cruise Set, Cops are plenty no cheek to truckies and crawl along goulburn.As for the spped camera signs thanks heaps schmidty i appreciate the photos thanks again to all!
Frank
Old 10-08-2006, 09:44 PM   #12
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

The bakery in Holbrook is the best place to stop, Judy and i stop there all the time, infact we have to wheel Judy out of there.lol
Old 10-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #13
Xrsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
The bakery in Holbrook is the best place to stop, Judy and i stop there all the time, infact we have to wheel Judy out of there.lol
Will keep that one in mind for sure.I'ma sucker for sweets lol cheers
Frank
Old 10-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #14
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrsick
Thanks to all for the great advice I was expecting one or two replies but this forum is just the best for great advice from what i have gathered Cruise Set, Cops are plenty no cheek to truckies and crawl along goulburn.As for the spped camera signs thanks heaps schmidty i appreciate the photos thanks again to all!
Frank

Too easy mate.

What car are you picking up?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #15
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't kill yourself around Talcutta, Holbrook, Albury. I see too many ambulances head off in that direction.

Don't exceed the speed limit by more than 10 km/h.

Speed cameras are marked in NSW. If you get booked it's fatigue as the signs and cameras are obvious.

Cameras start at Broadford in Vic. They aren't so obvious, so if you don't know there location, it's best to stick to the speed limit.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #16
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
There the days they bake double of everything. : :hihi:

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #17
rushing on acid

i went to sydney and back just over a month ago and did not see andy cops on the hume, guess i was lucky
rushing on acid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #18
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Besides the mobiles, there are fixed cameras at Craigieburn, Beveridge, Broadford, & Wallan (all are both directions) On the NSW side only 2 fixed are Tarcutta & Coolac (both well signed)
Watch carefully from Tabletop (NSW side of Albury) through to Holbrook! Holbrook cops haunt around Woomargama and that 80 odd Ks are the worst bit of road for overtaking.
Also found you'll pretty much get by setting cruise at 116, 117 in 110 zones in NSW.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Also watch for a few small towns ... the speed changes from 100km/h to 50km/h without warning literally ... on my way back from Melbourne earlier in the year I saw this and then noticed Mr Plod hiding not too far past the 50km/h sign.

Sneaky indeed.

Cruise control is your friend.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 09:06 AM   #20
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

nsw fixed cameras are all sign posted.

take a two way radio and listen to channel 40 - good heads up on the highway cars...

As for victora, when i drive down, i don't bother wi th 1 km over....

Bloody mexicans............ :evil_laug

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #21
Xrsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
Too easy mate.

What car are you picking up?
Bought a Vt calais supercharged full house leather and 17's 9500 which is a good buy only done 100,000k's not for me but for my son thanks to all the other responses
Old 11-08-2006, 11:16 PM   #22
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
As for victora, when i drive down, i don't bother wi th 1 km over....
your from nsw? nsw has the 5 or 10kmph buffer , same as qld ?

i always sit on 101kmph and don't have any problems, went through a roadside digital speed read out... speedo said 110kmph, roadside readout said i was going at 107kmph
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 11:24 PM   #23
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrsick
Bought a Vt calais supercharged full house leather and 17's 9500 which is a good buy only done 100,000k's not for me but for my son thanks to all the other responses
Thats a great buy for 9500!
Old 12-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #24
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
your from nsw? nsw has the 5 or 10kmph buffer , same as qld ?

i always sit on 101kmph and don't have any problems, went through a roadside digital speed read out... speedo said 110kmph, roadside readout said i was going at 107kmph
Not worth the risk mate....

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #25
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Cruise speeds are comfortable at 120kph in NSW in 110kph zones, 110 in 100kph zones(speed limit for the fixed cameras), and 115kph in 110kph zones in Victoria. That's my usual routine and I've never had a problem. I often do the trip with one stop, usually Marulan if I'm heading to Sydney, Glenrowan if I'm heading to Melbourne.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
So true (the bakery that is lol) it is great there their pies are nice too
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #27
Xrsick

Well got home last night 9.00pm after picking up the car up in Grantville and having put new 17's Hankooks on it.Absolutely rapt with it great ride and a great buy as i bought it for my son.Left Sydney about 10.30-11.00 am and the once we hit the highway cruise was set to 110kl's no cops apart from the hero at Goulburn in the xr6 who had a good look but all aws sweet,unfortunately the bakery at Holbrook was closed but luckily the highway was quiet no trucks and finally got home to tullamarine after a few stops for lunch and pitstops and after 850 kl's fuel in VT supercharger was averaging at 8ltrs per 100klm.sgot home one tank easy unbelievable fuel econy on Cruise Mode. Loved sydney will definately be back one day thanks again to all those for the advice cheers
Frank