Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-08-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Focus on Gas

I know there is a part of this forum for LPG and I have posted up there too ,but I thought I'll ask here also .
We are thinking on putting the focus on gas as this is the main car we drive and being a 2L auto is does chew thru abit ,and I just wanted to see if anyone else has done this to their car also .

WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Wow.

I have seen an auto LX on gas, it had virtually no boot left and to be honest, I didn't think it was a very practical idea. At least a Falcon still has a decent boot left after gas conversion. The problem with a Focus is that it's hard to put the spare wheel anywhere if you are able to put the gas tank in the wheel well. This one just had the big tank in the boot. I think a can of goop would be your only other option if you still wanted the boot space, but with a 48L tank in the wheel well, be prepared to fill up frequently, more so than you currently do.

In terms of possible, the answer is yes, but to be brutally honest, it would take longer to pay off the difference in a Focus than it would in a Falcon surely. The fuel economy improvement would be a smaller amount than in a larger car and unless you drive some serious kilometres, I am sceptical as to whether it would be an economical decision.

You should be seeing around the 9-10L/100km mark assuming a couple of drivers in the city with stop start traffic. I'm no expert on the economy a gas setup would offer, but unless you can get the government rebate, it would be more worth sticking with the petrol and paying slightly more to enjoy the extra space, driveability and power.

Intersting to note a little reading of mine has turned up potential issues with valves and heads, in terms of them needing to be hardened due the the LPG not having the same lubricating qualities as regular fuel. Something to do some serious homework on before diving in. I don't know a lot about LPG tanks and systems, but this may be something that's automatically thought of when you get a system installed.

Here's some links from the UK/Europe regardin LPG Foci. Provides some interesting reading, hope it helps. Do some Googling to see, but you will probably only find stuff from the UK.

http://irishcar.com/focusbifuelbtn.htm

http://groups.google.com.au/group/uk...f924753c94e1d8
Old 17-08-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

a focus on gas it wouldnt pull grandma off grandpa then?????????????????????????/

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

The auto 2.0 wouldn't pull the skin off burnt custard so it's not going to make a difference...
Old 17-08-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
The auto 2.0 wouldn't pull the skin off burnt custard so it's not going to make a difference...

itll never pull like a 12 yo old boy with a picture mag

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 12:07 AM   #6
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah cheers for that Zetec ,I think you are more than right about this ,and has for the head work that will follow (which it will ) that is all I needed to put me off getting it now .But also the boot space too and the wife carrys her horse stuff in the boot all of the time .
Old 17-08-2006, 12:12 AM   #7
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I had a tow bar fitted to the car after we had the bumper repair becouse the wife backed it into a wall (not much damage) ,but I get ask all the time from people who also own a focus about how well it tows :MrT_anim: ,and I just look at the funny and tell them it there to save the bumper only :Reverend:
Old 17-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza3710
I had a tow bar fitted to the car after we had the bumper repair becouse the wife backed it into a wall (not much damage) ,but I get ask all the time from people who also own a focus about how well it tows :MrT_anim: ,and I just look at the funny and tell them it there to save the bumper only :Reverend:
LMAO HEHEHEHEHEEH thats gold but so true, i was hit my a stupid 4wd once and the cow hit me with the tow bar, she got out and said ohh theres no damage to my car!!!! WELL DUH u dumb **** was my reaction, but the tow bar thing is sooooo true lol.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post