Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 22-08-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
SB4
E-Series Member

Default Which clutch to buy?

Hi guys

I need to buy a clutch kit tomorrow, which one should i go for? I'm happy to spend around $450. I've had problems with my old clutch (genuine xr6) which was put in only like a year & a half ago. It has been very heavy on the foot for the last 6 months or so, and releasing very low. Ive had the firewall strengthened, have replaced the clutch cable like 2 months ago and still the same. So im having the clutch replaced, flywheel machined and having the pedal box looked at/strengthened if necessary.

Should i go heavy duty or just get a standard spec? Im have EL Xr6 running gear, had it dynoed at 148kw at the wheels when i had the unichip, now it'd be less than that. I've been told to go for PBR for standard, and Xtreme HD & Exedy HD (previously Daikin) for the heavy duties. My only worry is the drivability, is it going to be very heavy on the foot? Im guessing they will be a tad more heavier than standard? If so it wouldn't bother me.

Anyway, so far i've been quoted $400 for an Exedy HD kit (for xr6), $295 for a standard PBR kit, $550 for a PBR Performance kit, and have been told the Xtreme HD's would be in the $400-450 mark. I just don't know which one to go for.

Sam

SB4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I just got an EXEDY HD for my car, standard falcon though. Very very light clutch, lighter than the clutch in my missus Lancer. Couldn't be happier with it and it has great bite.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 12:26 AM   #3
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

I only use exedy clutches. I think that they are the best there is. I have fitted the hds to xr6s and to xr8. Have had great feedback from customers. One guy was eating the stock clutches in 6 to 9 months (4 of them he went through) now its over 2 years later and the hd exedy is still lookin strong. You'll find that the HD will generally feel lighter than the clutch that it just replaced cause as the clutch friction plate wears the pivot point of the clutch diaphram decreases and the pedal will feel alot heavier. I have people think that they are not heavy duty clutches you have used cause the pedal effort is lighter than their old clutch.
Anyway I've once again rambled on too much. Stick to the exedy range of clutches they have proven themselves time and time again. Don't forget to replace your spiggot bearing and check that the snout on the gearbox is free from wear (its what the thrust bearing slides on) Good idea to change the g/box oil too and the cable.
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 12:29 AM   #4
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

hmmm sounds good!
what'd ya pay for it and the installation?
Old 23-08-2006, 12:33 AM   #5
EDXR6T

i got a PBR XR clutch and im happy with that ATM

but if i was to do it again id go EXEDY HD good price and a great clutch cant go wrong
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #6
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

I have an Extreme HD clutch in my car, the same as Walkinshaw, stockstandard, and Sphell has also had one.

We all swear by them, and mine's holding up nicely indeed.

Regards
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 12:46 AM   #7
Christiaan

Oh, I should also mention, that it has a very high clamping load, with a very light pedal feel. Compared to John_XR6's pedal (he has a PBR heavy duty) mine is very light. I'd go the Extreme Sam.

Cheers
Old 23-08-2006, 01:02 AM   #8
Christiaan

Oh, and also, I know how much those extreme clutches cost, and $400-$450 is a good $100-$150 in the workshops pocket. They can be had at trade price for around $300. If you know someone who can get trade price, get them to ring up extreme, and put in a trade order.
Old 23-08-2006, 01:25 AM   #9
santoitaliano
BF F6, APV SR3900

using an Exedy Sports Tuff which is the HD.. great clutch light pedal feel but lots of bitse

White APV SR3900 [WIZZRD] (Click Here) [/COLOR]

Daily:
2006 Red BF F6 Typhoon
Bluepower enhanced.
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Ive had my Exedy in the car for about 18 months, very good clutch, and its lighter than the stock or the RPM that i had previously

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED
2008 MA XR5 Mondeo

2015 VOLVO V60 T6 R-DESIGN-POLESTAR Enhanced

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #11
honer
Back to N/A land

Got a Mal Wood 3000lbs clamp pressure clutch in mine (Just done the other day)

Like you guys I was going to go for the Exedy HD, however Mal Wood's said this clutch is good, but only really notch up on stock. Assuming it would be absolutely fine on a stock car though.
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #12
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Do Mal Wood make their own clutches now?

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #13
SB4
E-Series Member

You guys are awesome! I ended up buying the Exedy HD, it's going in tomorrow. Thanks again.

Sam
SB4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #14
BlueXr8

what ever you all do dont buy a Extreme clutch i had a cousioned brass button in my xr8 uneven wear on th buttons and caused the flywheel to crack
EF Series2 XR8 Manual - Pacemakers- 2.5inch Exhaust System With Dump Tip- Steeda Short Throw Shifter-Yella Terra Light Weight Non Explodeable Flywheel-Creamic Cushion Button Clutch- Dropped 50mm From The Ground-
BlueXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post